Discussion Saints cooking

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone ever forked out for a whole truffle??? I’ve only ever tasted truffle infused stuff never shaved truffle.
Where would you get one from? And what would you do with it?
I did see a
Recipe on tv that was basically shaved truffle, shaved cheese, olive oil and tagliatelle. It looked great and I love minimalistic food.

Has anyone ever forked out for a whole truffle??? I’ve only ever tasted truffle infused stuff never shaved truffle.
I did see a
Recipe on tv that was basically shaved truffle, shaved cheese, olive oil and tagliatelle. It looked great and I love minimalistic food.

I have never bought a whole truffle but had it shaved on food and cooked with it, I kind of like it and dislike it at the same time. Over hyped food like caviar possibly. If it was cheap you'd probably avoid it. There are better fungi, I prefer the flavour of porcini. If you do use it, just on really good quality pasta with not too much more with it. It's pretty subtle. I hate infused stuff it tastes a bit like used tyres have been sitting in motor oil. That recipe is pretty much how to get the best out of it. If you like the flavour it's got to be the star of the show.

I’ve heard there was a big wave where for a whole generation the medical advice was don’t expose them to allergens for a while but was found to be the opposite. But because of that there’s a lot these days who didn’t get acclimatised to common allergens as a kid.
in Israel the kids eat Bamba which is a peanut snack, and it has been found that they have less peanut allergies with their kids.

I have never bought a whole truffle but had it shaved on food and cooked with it, I kind of like it and dislike it at the same time. Over hyped food like caviar possibly. If it was cheap you'd probably avoid it. There are better fungi, I prefer the flavour of porcini. If you do use it, just on really good quality pasta with not too much more with it. It's pretty subtle. I hate infused stuff it tastes a bit like used tyres have been sitting in motor oil. That recipe is pretty much how to get the best out of it. If you like the flavour it's got to be the star of the show.

I like truffle, but overhyped , from France....surely not.
:rolleyes:

This is a very easy recipe for tasty shredded beef that you can use in tacos or burritos. I back off the salt as you can add some but can’t take it out, depending on the chilli powder you use it might be a good idea to back that off as well. I’ve made the tacos and they’re pretty good but i really just like the recipe for the shredded beef, it has a nice flavour and it’s very tender. It‘s a slow process don’t try to hurry it up and it’s done when you can break it up easily in the pot with a wooden spoon.

Last edited:
About to start a slow cooked greek lamb.....oregano, wine, green olives, garlic with the lamb cooked very slowly along beans tomatoes and more garlic.

Looking forward to it
What are you cooking it in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a leg of venison off one of my mates so thought I would have a crack at venison salami.
Had to add just under 2 kg of pork back fat to the venison to make the ratios right. All up I ended up with 6 kg of salami.
Will post a photo in a couple of months once it's finished curing

20220430_122206.jpg

I did see a
I do every year. Only once a year really, or twice if I’m going full impulse buyer - they’re not cheap. If you are anywhere near Prahran Market, that’s where I get them. It’s nearly truffle season. The guy in the middle of the market called “Damian, the Mushroom Man” or something like that sells fresh truffles. It feels like a drug deal somehow too - you ask if he has truffle in and he sort of skulks out the back and brings out this container of different size truffles in a strangely furtive manner.

Best way to use it is something along the lines of what you described. Truffle gets lost in strong flavours so shaved over a basic pasta with oil or butter, and a bit of Parmesan is classic. That’s what I would do. You can also shave it over chicken liver pasta which works well, but the liver is a strong flavour so you’ll need an adequate amount of truffle. Also good on a lighter flavour risotto, particularly a mushroom risotto.

Oh yeah, if you buy one and keep it for a few days before using, store it in a container wrapped in some kitchen towel and put all your eggs in there. Eggshells are porous (apparently) and the flavour genuinely seeps in to them, and truffled eggs taste great. Actually eggs and truffle is another classic combo apparently, like shaved on an omelette or scrambled eggs, but I haven’t tried doing this yet.

I do every year. Only once a year really, or twice if I’m going full impulse buyer - they’re not cheap. If you are anywhere near Prahran Market, that’s where I get them. It’s nearly truffle season. The guy in the middle of the market called “Damian, the Mushroom Man” or something like that sells fresh truffles. It feels like a drug deal somehow too - you ask if he has truffle in and he sort of skulks out the back and brings out this container of different size truffles in a strangely furtive manner.

Best way to use it is something along the lines of what you described. Truffle gets lost in strong flavours so shaved over a basic pasta with oil or butter, and a bit of Parmesan is classic. That’s what I would do. You can also shave it over chicken liver pasta which works well, but the liver is a strong flavour so you’ll need an adequate amount of truffle. Also good on a lighter flavour risotto, particularly a mushroom risotto.

Oh yeah, if you buy one and keep it for a few days before using, store it in a container wrapped in some kitchen towel and put all your eggs in there. Eggshells are porous (apparently) and the flavour genuinely seeps in to them, and truffled eggs taste great. Actually eggs and truffle is another classic combo apparently, like shaved on an omelette or scrambled eggs, but I haven’t tried doing this yet.

You aren't the cheese platter guy are you?

I got a leg of venison off one of my mates so thought I would have a crack at venison salami.
Had to add just under 2 kg of pork back fat to the venison to make the ratios right. All up I ended up with 6 kg of salami.
Will post a photo in a couple of months once it's finished curing

View attachment 1388674
Just tried some of the venison salami and it came up a treat.
Made a platter for the family today.
Venison salami, cured pork fillet, and cured pork neck (coppa)
20220612_183358.jpg

Here is a recipe for a fantastic party snack also a great half-time treat when watching the footy with some beers.....
Sri Lankan Fish Cutlets.......also check out some of her other recipes - some great curries if that's your thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back