Game Day AFLW R1 v WCE

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wasn't as impressed with the result as you lot are. Eagles are unfit, but both teams skills bar a few dockers were shocking. It was windy so i might let that slide.

If we play like that for the rest of the season..especially away we're going to struggle.

All the other teams need to do is build a defensive wall when the ball is in their fwd line, as we don't seem to have a good system getting the ball out. It's get ball and kick ball without looking as far as we can. Competent Aflw teams will rebound that easily.

We do seem a little more measured and comfortable in the fwd half of the ground. Houghton looks a little bit tubby and not in her usual condition..hopefully we get her firing on all cylinders soon because when she's on that can separate us from the other teams. Honestly didn't realise Kara was playing. Seen her out and about and always seems like a kind/down to earth person so not trying to be rude, but that tap on the shoulder shouldn't be far away.

Granny Val

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2013
Wheatbelt/Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Scorchers
Let's hope due diligence was done and Swanson was reported! To think, she was the player they selected as their inaugural captain!
It happened right in front of us. She kicked a goal, and then went straight over to Hayley Miller and punched her in the face.
But there was no tv footage of the incident.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wasn't as impressed with the result as you lot are. Eagles are unfit, but both teams skills bar a few dockers were shocking. It was windy so i might let that slide.

If we play like that for the rest of the season..especially away we're going to struggle.

All the other teams need to do is build a defensive wall when the ball is in their fwd line, as we don't seem to have a good system getting the ball out. It's get ball and kick ball without looking as far as we can. Competent Aflw teams will rebound that easily.

We do seem a little more measured and comfortable in the fwd half of the ground. Houghton looks a little bit tubby and not in her usual condition..hopefully we get her firing on all cylinders soon because when she's on that can separate us from the other teams. Honestly didn't realise Kara was playing. Seen her out and about and always seems like a kind/down to earth person so not trying to be rude, but that tap on the shoulder shouldn't be far away.
If we not one of the most competent teams in the AFLW after barely being beaten over the past three seasons I don't know who is.

The reality is the AFLW is a part time league, where a large percentage of players have had less than five years playing the game at any decent level (if at all). Of course skills are going to be patchy. Inconsistency comes with the territory. It's going to be a far cry from what you are able to produce in a full time league like the AFL men's, where even the newest recruits are generally well seasoned with years of playing footy.

Watching your own team, with the natural tension that comes with it, those rough edges are much more apparent. However, you closely watch enough other games where Freo aren't involved, even with the supposed "more competent" teams and it's clear to me our skill levels aren't off the pace at all.

At this stage of the league's development individual moments will hold a lot more sway, things are going to be rough and ready and pristine polish will be more individual and rarer than consistently team.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just some thoughts.
1. Gabby in the middle was gold.
2. Tighe was underwhelming but having her relief Strom in the ruck is structurally massive.
3. All of our goals came from the midfield.
4. Antonios’ performance are poles apart. Ebony is a gun and Kara should be replaced in the team. Difficult situation to sort out.
5. Swanson seriously a grub and so is the Weagles with all the other cheap shots like chicken wing tackled from the third player in.
6. The commentary was extremely bad. Talking up the Eagles but didn’t understand that their was a strong wind favouring the northern end.
7. Skills were down, 2 goals for the Eagles were off stupid turnovers.
8. No counter to the player behind the ball. Teams will keep doing it and we won’t win a flag until we work it out.
9. 6 player debuts is a lot. Massive Room for improvement.
10. Body wise our girls look like athletes but some of the Eagles would be considered overweight in the normal population.

oldgoat

All Australian
May 22, 2017
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is a brief moment of it..
Not sure it was a punch to the face, very clumsy no doubt.

A bit like the Gaff atrocity.
She was doing one of those "illegal" assaults that is wrongly accepted as "part of the game".
Particularly "grub behaviour" in striking/pushing payer on the ground...cowardly would do.
In doing so she made elbow contact with the face.
If she is sanctioned it will be because she made forceful contact with the face, probably not her intention.
The problem is the original intentional act,
forcefully striking a player
on the ground,
out of play,
and off the field.
Rub her out for that!

And the theres the commentators...
"burst of emotion" or "premeditated coward punch"

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Game summary

Attachments

• 7E490E51-FA14-40B4-84B4-249F9F3A7E93.png
    7E490E51-FA14-40B4-84B4-249F9F3A7E93.png
    893.8 KB · Views: 99
  • D693066D-F19C-4F54-8C74-466543DB075D.png
    D693066D-F19C-4F54-8C74-466543DB075D.png
    928.4 KB · Views: 98

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Last year, and guess it hasn't changed, the ball the ladies use is lighter than a male ball.
I had a kick with one last year. It's hard work kicking it into any wind.

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just some thoughts.
1. Gabby in the middle was gold.
2. Tighe was underwhelming but having her relief Strom in the ruck is structurally massive.
3. All of our goals came from the midfield.
4. Antonios’ performance are poles apart. Ebony is a gun and Kara should be replaced in the team. Difficult situation to sort out.
5. Swanson seriously a grub and so is the Weagles with all the other cheap shots like chicken wing tackled from the third player in.
6. The commentary was extremely bad. Talking up the Eagles but didn’t understand that their was a strong wind favouring the northern end.
7. Skills were down, 2 goals for the Eagles were off stupid turnovers.
8. No counter to the player behind the ball. Teams will keep doing it and we won’t win a flag until we work it out.
9. 6 player debuts is a lot. Massive Room for improvement.
10. Body wise our girls look like athletes but some of the Eagles would be considered overweight in the normal population.
I thought Tighe displayed a heap of deft touches in the fourth quarter which belied her inexperience and Irish background. Somewhat bizarrely she seemed like a natural footballer.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought Tighe displayed a heap of deft touches in the fourth quarter which belied her inexperience and Irish background. Somewhat bizarrely she eemed like a natural footballer.
I expected her to dominate, which in hindsight was expecting too much from her first game.

The deft touch to OD was something special.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought Tighe displayed a heap of deft touches in the fourth quarter which belied her inexperience and Irish background. Somewhat bizarrely she eemed like a natural footballer.
She had more hit outs and a lot more hitouts to advantage than Strom!

I give Strom a bit of s**t, but she did look a lot better this game than last year so I hope her development continues.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Cuthbertson has a turning circle of an aircraft carrier, expected a lot more from last years all Australian. Swan sons goal was a direct result of Cuthbertson doing a dinky kick out of defence.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
She had more hit outs and a lot more hitouts to advantage than Strom!

I give Strom a bit of sh*t, but she did look a lot better this game than last year so I hope her development continues.
I’m a bit the same. After one game I’m now expecting Tighe to come through and take the no. 1 spot.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Nothing in it. Agree that it's just clumsy.
You're right, there was little in it...although, it's not apt sportsmanship to shove a player when they're already down. Real coward move.

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Definitely worried about Kara, you need to accept when you’ve used up all your petrol tickets. She has been a legend for the team, but is being passed by teammates. Invaluable around the training track.

Step aside with dignity.

Back