Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final - Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 25 September, 7:15pm AEST, Optus Stadium

So normally I am super inclusive, but when it came to hosting a mini grand final party for my own team, I figured I was within my rights to be at least a bit selective. Didn't invite one guy because he is an incredible know-it-all that shits me up the wall.

Chatting to him later on in the weekend, my worries were justified.

"I watched the first half and then turned off the TV because I knew it was over"

"Really? You thought the Dogs would just run away with it after gaining a slight lead?"

"No, I knew melbourne would run away with it... it was obvious, I've watched so much of both teams this year to know that the Dees were home then so I just switched off the game"

slackboy72

All Australian
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
So normally I am super inclusive, but when it came to hosting a mini grand final party for my own team, I figured I was within my rights to be at least a bit selective. Didn't invite one guy because he is an incredible know-it-all that shits me up the wall.

"I watched the first half and then turned off the TV because I knew it was over"

"Really? You thought the Dogs would just run away with it after gaining a slight lead?"

"No, I knew melbourne would run away with it... it was obvious, I've watched so much of both teams this year to know that the Dees were home then so I just switched off the game"

Wasn't too concerned when Bulldogs took the lead in 2nd q. Felt they had fired every shot in the locker with no reserve ammo coming into the premiership 2nd half.
Bang bang bang ! all over.
We were always going to win it. Our player list runs far deeper than theirs. Our I/C bench would be first 18 for any afl side including bulldogs.

When can Melbourne return home with tbe Cup? Anyone know.

:rolleyes:

Paul66

Cancelled
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

Watches the first half.
Dees at half time are faltering a little.
Knows Dees will win second half 101 - 19.
Fails to put money on Dees 39+, otherwise would've bragged about using his "knowledge" to advantage.
Fair to say that if he actually DID switch off at half time, he went off to be intimate with Mrs Palmer.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This might sound like a stupid question to ask coz its a ******* grand final so of course its our best win that we've ever seen, but does anyone else rate the win vs Geelong in round 23 even better than this? They are really neck and neck for me.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This might sound like a stupid question to ask coz its a ******* grand final so of course its our best win that we've ever seen, but does anyone else rate the win vs Geelong in round 23 even better than this? They are really neck and neck for me.

Granny always going to better, but can you imagine if the GF played out exactly like round 23? 😱.

Not sure i would have survived to see out it's conclusion..

Granny always going to better, but can you imagine if the GF played out exactly like round 23? 😱.

Not sure i would have survived to see out it's conclusion..

Do we make th granny without that win? Its interesting to think about. Guess thats why I rate it so highly.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Do we make th granny without that win? Its interesting to think about. Guess thats why I rate it so highly.

Certainly was psychology damaging to Geelong. If you look in the gameday thread on the cats board they certainly see it that way. The belief would have been there already and Goodwin referred to the round 12 game against Brisbane duringhalf time in the grand final, but coming back from 44 down midway through the 3rd quarter and then pinching top spot on the eve of finals would have been a huge boost for the playing group. Petracca was in tears after the win which shows how much it meant.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Round 23 was our best win under adversity for a very long time, we’ve had some real heartbreak vs Geelong and although I think we are much better than Port I didn’t want to play them at AO in the QF. In terms of how well we played I actually think the prelim was the best game I’ve ever seen us play.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon the main board thread is a better read. A lot more posts due to the neutrals in there, watching everyone go mental during our third quarter burst is great to go back over.

I reckon the main board thread is a better read. A lot more posts due to the neutrals in there, watching everyone go mental during our third quarter burst is great to go back over.

You couldn't pay me to visit that board.

Round 23 was our best win under adversity for a very long time, we’ve had some real heartbreak vs Geelong and although I think we are much better than Port I didn’t want to play them at AO in the QF. In terms of how well we played I actually think the prelim was the best game I’ve ever seen us play.

Chris Scott said the Cats had players playing with the bubonic plague that night mate, I think we shouldn't get too carried away by it. They were probably better than us in retrospect when you consider things.

dees arent rabble

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2010
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
I love watching the preliminary final.
Nothing better than smashing Geelong.
And to rewatch danger diving and selwood sooking it up is gold

I love watching the preliminary final.
Nothing better than smashing Geelong.
And to rewatch danger diving and selwood sooking it up is gold

epic username change mate, only just noticed it now.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I rewatched the second half of round 23 the other day. It was epic. To think we were within a goal with almost 10 mins left in the last to. It can’t beat the grand final though.
It’s interesting Geelong made a point of players being unwell several times. But in their wisdom played half a dozen unwell players in a prelim. With an ageing list I’ll be interested to see if there are any long term effects from the prelim pummelling.

Back