Opinion NMFC Board Cricket ThreadII - Windies, Big Bash, Pakistan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questionable captaincy. Declaration too late. Another 5 overs we probably win. In the series overall it probably doesn't matter. But Captains should plan to win.

It was a great match for Cummins. He'll learn heaps. For the first time as captain he had an opposition who showed more than a little spine, a flat track and bowlers who had gassed (including himself to some degree). His best three batsmen (Warner, Smith and the Bus Change) have exposed deficiencies that need addressing , the weather was unpredictable, but the series was all wrapped up so none of it really mattered.

Would be great as a captain to be able to knock over the opposition for 68 every time, but the reality is that no one has any idea what Cummins brings to the table as captain.

I'd say Cummins could be excused for allowing Green a 50 and Khawaja a double 100. But once that was achieved then the declaration should have happened. 16 balls (including a drinks break) happened between Khawaja getting his hundred and the declaration. 16 balls that Cummins would have had no idea that Lyon/Smith/Labuschagne would have bowled at Broad/Anderson that could have won the match. Why send Carey out once Green had gone? But the margin of 16 balls across the 2700 scheduled for a Test across 5 days is pretty slim.

I think the lesson here is that Cummins isn't yet a super-aggressive captain willing to lose a match to win it. But it was all in the safety that the Ashes were not on the line. Maybe he was literally one minute out on the declaration. Meh. We've won the Ashes.

It was a great match for Cummins. He'll learn heaps. For the first time as captain he had an opposition who showed more than a little spine, a flat track and bowlers who had gassed (including himself to some degree). His best three batsmen (Warner, Smith and the Bus Change) have exposed deficiencies that need addressing , the weather was unpredictable, but the series was all wrapped up so none of it really mattered.

Would be great as a captain to be able to knock over the opposition for 68 every time, but the reality is that no one has any idea what Cummins brings to the table as captain.

I'd say Cummins could be excused for allowing Green a 50 and Khawaja a double 100. But once that was achieved then the declaration should have happened. 16 balls (including a drinks break) happened between Khawaja getting his hundred and the declaration. 16 balls that Cummins would have had no idea that Lyon/Smith/Labuschagne would have bowled at Broad/Anderson that could have won the match. Why send Carey out once Green had gone? But the margin of 16 balls across the 2700 scheduled for a Test across 5 days is pretty slim.

I think the lesson here is that Cummins isn't yet a super-aggressive captain willing to lose a match to win it. But it was all in the safety that the Ashes were not on the line. Maybe he was literally one minute out on the declaration. Meh. We've won the Ashes.
Fair comment but Cummins put players ahead of the team. Sure we have won the Ashes but a whitewash is rare and we had the chance. Also I don't believe he makes the decision on declarations alone. Coach has to have plenty of input. Five more overs and we probably win. Looking forward to Tassie now.

Cummins' declaration decision could be a draw the battle but win the war type scenario. Green getting some confidence with the bat and Khawaja making those back to back tonnes could be the be difference in future tests if their confidence improves because of it.
Good way to think about it. The weather contributed to killing the result too as did English time wasting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought his captaincy was ok. He's pretty conservative. I couldn't believe Carey went out to bat, but totally fair enough to allow guys to get milestones.

Not sure you could call it a flat track though, especially with the new ball. Dont think I've seen as many batsmen get hit on the gloves. So pretty decent effort from the poms to bat 100 hundred overs on a last innings track that's been up and down all game with guys carrying injuries . Bairstow was pretty much taking his hand off the bat every second ball.
I'm a Lyon fan, but don't think he was as threatening as he should be. Bowled too flat and too straight .

I want Tony Grieg back. Since his passing I don't know of any wicket that has developed cracks or which has broken up so that batting on day five is like traversing the minefield on the 38th parallel dividing north and south Korea.

I'd hate to think what kangatime would say about a pitch that was better to bat on the fifth day than on the second.

And the pitch didn't deteriorate like a 5th day wicket normally would.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I see no issue with the declaration call at the time of it being made.
Agreed, though the sending of Carey to the middle was a bit WTF.

A chance to clobber a few out of the middle I guess for a bloke down on confidence.

And a chance to get a first-ball globe too. The declaration should have happened as soon as Khawaja passed 100, if not before. Then it should have happened at the drinks break, then definitely after Green got out. If the Poms could score 350 in 110 overs on day 5 then they'd have deserved the win so let them have it. But England haven't looked like getting 350 all series, and their track record for wanting to take on a 4th innings run chase isn't good (The Kiwis set them 273 of about 80 overs last year at Lords and they refused to even entertain going for it - crawling to 3/170 off 70 and a boring draw)

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't. The seven overs lost for rain after lunch can be factored in as crucial. Not a lot was lost out of it, but hopefully Cummins is a bit more daring next time in a match that matters.

I want Tony Grieg back. Since his passing I don't know of any wicket that has developed cracks or which has broken up so that batting on day five is like traversing the minefield on the 38th parallel dividing north and south Korea.

I'd hate to think what kangatime would say about a pitch that was better to bat on the fifth day than on the second.
******* Sydney and their rain.

96A6A633-7F8D-4F28-AB55-9A6A424794C3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back