Game Day AFLW Round 1: GCS v GWS at GBR Arena, Saturday 5:10pm QLD time

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the first time the GWS women's team will have faced us in Queensland. Here are their previous results in QLD:

R4 2017 - Brisbane 6.7 (43) def. GWS 1.3 (9)
R1 2019 - Brisbane 4.5 (29) def. GWS 4.3 (27)
R4 2020 - Brisbane 7.9 (51) def. GWS 3.5 (23)

So the GWS AFLW team has never won a match in Queensland and were belted in two of those three matches against the Lions. I think it's probably fair to say the heat/humidity has been an issue for GWS when playing in Queensland when you consider their performances in the second half of each of those matches: 2017 - kicked 1 goal/2 behinds and conceded 5 goals/0 behinds in the second half, 2019 - kicked 2 goals/0 behinds and conceded 3 goals/3 behinds in the second half, 2020 - kicked 1 goal/0 behinds and conceded 3 goals/4 behinds in the second half.

I hope our girls keep this in mind today and are ready to really push the Giants in the second half as they tire in the challenging conditions. We should absolutely be using the weather to our advantage and it shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system for our girls given it's been very humid here lately as well. The only question mark is whether our young players will also struggle in the conditions but I'd like to think we're more suited to the conditions than the GWS players.

Let's go!

This is the first time the GWS women's team will have faced us in Queensland. Here are their previous results in QLD:

R4 2017 - Brisbane 6.7 (43) def. GWS 1.3 (9)
R1 2019 - Brisbane 4.5 (29) def. GWS 4.3 (27)
R4 2020 - Brisbane 7.9 (51) def. GWS 3.5 (23)

So the GWS AFLW team has never won a match in Queensland and were belted in two of those three matches against the Lions. I think it's probably fair to say the heat/humidity has been an issue for GWS when playing in Queensland when you consider their performances in the second half of each of those matches: 2017 - kicked 1 goal/2 behinds and conceded 5 goals/0 behinds in the second half, 2019 - kicked 2 goals/0 behinds and conceded 3 goals/3 behinds in the second half, 2020 - kicked 1 goal/0 behinds and conceded 3 goals/4 behinds in the second half.

I hope our girls keep this in mind today and are ready to really push the Giants in the second half as they tire in the challenging conditions. We should absolutely be using the weather to our advantage and it shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system for our girls given it's been very humid here lately as well. The only question mark is whether our young players will also struggle in the conditions but I'd like to think we're more suited to the conditions than the GWS players.

Let's go!
When I was talking to a few of the girls yesterday, they said they love the heat.

I am expecting a big game from the Queen of Mackay, Lauren Bella in front of her hometown crowd.

And Kindy is on the board with her first goal for 2022! We're up by 8 points now late in the first quarter.

We have a 9-point lead at quarter time. Great start from the girls. Now we just have to keep it up for another three quarters.

We go into halftime with a 1-point lead. I think Joyce would be pleased with that. We absorbed the pressure and didn't fold while also getting the lead back.

The humidity is going to really factor into the second half, so as long as we stay strong in the middle of the ground then we have a huge chance to walk away with the W today. Shoutout to local girl Bella who has 14 hit outs at halftime.

Giants have lost their best mid Chloe Dalton for the second half. Certainly helps our cause.

Let's go girls!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down by 1 goal at three quarter time but it could have been a lot worse if our backline didn't stand strong in that third quarter.

Four points are absolutely up for grabs here. Let's go girls!

Saw the first and fourth quarters and didn't see much improvement. Virtually no outside game, all inside. Managed to get some goals in the first through some free-kicks, but by and large, hammered in clearances which put us on the back foot.

No ability to clear out of defence. Continual long bombs hoping for a miracle. Couple of good individual plays from some players, but that's it.

Comfortably still one of the worst sides in the league, unfortunately. Hard to see what the game plan even is when we have possession. Skills don't look any good at all.

Saw the first and fourth quarters and didn't see much improvement. Virtually no outside game, all inside. Managed to get some goals in the first through some free-kicks, but by and large, hammered in clearances which put us on the back foot.

No ability to clear out of defence. Continual long bombs hoping for a miracle. Couple of good individual plays from some players, but that's it.

Comfortably still one of the worst sides in the league, unfortunately. Hard to see what the game plan even is when we have possession. Skills don't look any good at all.
Yeah agree with all this.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't win a game again this year.

Last edited:
Girls had a crack. I can't really complain. Got absolutely killed in clearances. It starts all there. Bella got hands on the ball but no real connection with midfielders. Good defence.

Yeah, it looks like bottom 4. Saints looked worse to me. Just first round, hopefully not winless season again.

Like the commentators said, we were sort of in and out of the game all day. There were patches where the girls looked really dangerous and were able to get repeat inside 50s but then there were other patches of the game where the skills really fell away and they looked completely directionless out there.

• Rowbottom got off to a slow start but as the game progressed you could see she was getting more involved and did some nice things on and off the ball. She'll be better for the run.
  • Ahrens deserves a lot of praise for the way she reads the ball in the backline. Single handedly saved at least three goals.
  • Howarth looked really lively in the first half and then completely fell away in the second half. Probably has a lot to do with our lack of i50s in the second half.
  • Heslop's tackling was a highlight. Just needs more games to improve her composure.
  • Bella got plenty of hit outs but really needs to work on her connection with the other mids. Winning the hit outs isn't much of an advantage if your opposition is sharking the taps.
  • Disappointed with Watson's game today. She has a lot of potential but seemed like a passenger out there.

Being at the game tonight was awesome. The atmosphere was top notch and it was a great night out.

I want to give the girls come credit. They played well in parts and there is definitely some positives to come out of the game. They kept fighting but ultimately just ran out of legs towards the end. Onwards and upwards ahead of next weeks game against West Coast in Footscray- I’ll be there!

What was the crowd like?
1,535 there. It felt like more tbh. Grandstand was full, the country club was chock a block. It was a great atmosphere there really and very loud too thanks to the suns fans that got their voice on for the game! I’ve almost lost my voice hahah but yeah, it was awesome to be back at the footy !

1,535 there. It felt like more tbh. Grandstand was full, the country club was chock a block. It was a great atmosphere there really and very loud too thanks to the suns fans that got their voice on for the game! I’ve almost lost my voice hahah but yeah, it was awesome to be back at the footy !
Thats not bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back