Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final - Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 25 September, 7:15pm AEST, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

This might sound like a stupid question to ask coz its a ******* grand final so of course its our best win that we've ever seen, but does anyone else rate the win vs Geelong in round 23 even better than this? They are really neck and neck for me.

That Geelong game really needed a crowd. I find rewatching crowd-less games are so much less than what they should be. Round 23 was amazing and needed reaction shots of 35,000 bewildered Geelong supporters and their stupid faces as Max slotted the winner.

Around page 100 on MB game day thread. Bont kicks the goal to put them 19 points up. Lots of egg on lots of faces after that.
About the same time BT was anointing him the Norm Smith medalist and greatest Bulldog player of all time

About the same time BT was anointing him the Norm Smith medalist and greatest Bulldog player of all time
All things considered, the Channel 7 call was pretty good. BT crowning Bont the Norm Smith winner is actually kinda funny in retrospect; another call I listened to had some other flog saying to put Petracca forward and give Kozi a run in the middle at the same time :embarrassedv1:

This might sound like a stupid question to ask coz its a ******* grand final so of course its our best win that we've ever seen, but does anyone else rate the win vs Geelong in round 23 even better than this? They are really neck and neck for me.

Depends on your own personal criteria obviously. Can't beat the R23 game for grit and determination. Can't beat the GF for emotion and meaning. Both are incredible.

To be fair 3 of our last 4 wins could have been best of the year for us. Brisbane was the only one I wouldn’t consider a super win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rewatched the second half of round 23 the other day. It was epic. To think we were within a goal with almost 10 mins left in the last to. It can’t beat the grand final though.
It’s interesting Geelong made a point of players being unwell several times. But in their wisdom played half a dozen unwell players in a prelim. With an ageing list I’ll be interested to see if there are any long term effects from the prelim pummelling.
Geelong in the bottom 6 this year.
Well hope so anyways

Geelong in the bottom 6 this year.
Well hope so anyways
chris-scott-shocked-face.gif

In terms of quality over 120 minutes R23 is well ahead of the GF, I think, even isolated from the minor premiership narrative. We played some incredible football in both games.

I think Oliver’s performance in R23 would be ahead of Trac’s GF too

Remember when we were the best team all year but everyone thought we'd Melbourne it... then we didn't and took a massive dump on every team's chest in the finals, leaving the biggest, thickest, solid log of brown stinky s**t for the team who had been smugly talking up their chances all year. They folded like a cheap western suburbs suit.... ah s**t time for another replay :tearsofjoy:

Remember when we were the best team all year but everyone thought we'd Melbourne it... then we didn't and took a massive dump on every team's chest in the finals, leaving the biggest, thickest, solid log of brown stinky sh*t for the team who had been smugly talking up their chances all year. They folded like a cheap western suburbs suit.... ah sh*t time for another replay :tearsofjoy:
Western slum dogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favorite bit of commentary on the day came from BT with roughly 3:50 to go in the third quarter, just after Gus' goal. It's not discussed as much as the more iconic moments (namely the "Bang..Bang, Bang, Bang!" some 2.5 minutes later), and weirdly, doesn't even result in a Melbourne goal.

I'll provide the transcript from BT below as clearly i have a bit of spare time (and frankly could reminisce about this game forever and a day):

BT; 3:50 to go in the third, ball makes its way into the dogs forward 50 from a Josh Dunkley kick -

"Dunkley - back inside to Roarke Smith.. little chipping baaaaaall..........

SCHACHE HAD TO GO!!! HE SAT UNDER A CLUNKER!! and they CLOBBERED HIM!!!

THEY DIDN'T LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT ONE!!

Brown now in the middle.. WHAT CAN MELBOURNE MAKE OF THIS.. This would be a REAL LIFTER. AN INCREDIBLE LIFTER!

NEAL-BULLEN... WIIIIDE TO SPARROW! SPARROWS GOT PICKETT ON!!

HE GOES FOR HOME!!

MAX!!!

..Couldn't get there..

SIX POINT MELBOURNE LEAD!

JOSH SCHACHE GOT CRUNCHED!!!!!!"

:fire::fire::fire:

My favorite bit of commentary on the day came from BT with roughly 3:50 to go in the third quarter, just after Gus' goal. It's not discussed as much as the more iconic moments (namely the "Bang..Bang, Bang, Bang!" some 2.5 minutes later), and weirdly, doesn't even result in a Melbourne goal.

I'll provide the transcript from BT below as clearly i have a bit of spare time (and frankly could reminisce about this game forever and a day):

BT; 3:50 to go in the third, ball makes its way into the dogs forward 50 from a Josh Dunkley kick -

"Dunkley - back inside to Roarke Smith.. little chipping baaaaaall..........

SCHACHE HAD TO GO!!! HE SAT UNDER A CLUNKER!! and they CLOBBERED HIM!!!

THEY DIDN'T LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT ONE!!

Brown now in the middle.. WHAT CAN MELBOURNE MAKE OF THIS.. This would be a REAL LIFTER. AN INCREDIBLE LIFTER!

NEAL-BULLEN... WIIIIDE TO SPARROW! SPARROWS GOT PICKETT ON!!

HE GOES FOR HOME!!

MAX!!!

..Couldn't get there..

SIX POINT MELBOURNE LEAD!

JOSH SCHACHE GOT CRUNCHED!!!!!!"

:fire::fire::fire:

Hard agree. How good is clobbering people.

Delicious aftermath during the week after when I heard Whateley sooking that it was a clear free kick to Schache.

Hard agree. How good is clobbering people.

Delicious aftermath during the week after when I heard Whateley sooking that it was a clear free kick to Schache.
Prob was a free kick to be fair. Umpires put the whistle away in crunch games of the big finals though so the game was almost in free for all mode. Umpires preferring not to influence the game had an influence on the game.

All of those goals in the last few mins of the 3rd could have had soft free kicks paid against us, thankfully they didn’t.

Sparrows could have been an illegal shepherd on the line.
Brown small push in the back.
Petracca illegal block from kosi.
Oliver could have been grabbed by viney and subsequently bumped by daniel.
Fritsch push in back for the marking attempt.

Every small moment went our way and we then thankfully we went LARGE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were lots of little ones that went against us at key times too. Hunter's ducking free which led to a goal just before half time, the non-mark to Steven May which nearly led to another one, the high free not paid to Kozzie in front of goal, the ducking free given to Macrae just when we had started getting a roll-on, the hands in the back not paid on JJ's mark, the non-goal to Max and so on. Overall I thought the match was umpired very well in that they let a lot of 50-50 calls slide, which is how every game should be umpired. I'm sure all fans would agree that it's much less frustrating to have an obvious free kick missed for your team than to have a 50-50 free kick paid against.

Hello Demons, Mrs SC fish (an avid Melbourne fan) and I want to watch a replay of the 2021 grand final tonight how do we go about this? Happy to pay a few bucks to watch it. Thanks
Pay me 100 dollars, stay exactly where you are and await my further instructions…

Hello Demons, Mrs SC fish (an avid Melbourne fan) and I want to watch a replay of the 2021 grand final tonight how do we go about this? Happy to pay a few bucks to watch it. Thanks
Seriously though, I’m guessing from your question you don’t have Kayo? That has past matches including the GF, and won’t cost you much to join as a trial. Might even be a free trial at the moment? It is from time to time. That’s probably your best bet.

Otherwise I can play it here and film it on my phone and you can watch via a zoom conference. What you lose in picture quality will be more than compensated by my personal commentary

That's such a good idea, me too I think. It's so good!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back