Discussion Why did the Eagles wear navy (and the tri-panel) for so long?

Remove this Banner Ad

neogh

Senior List
Apr 17, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dolphins, MVFC
This is more appropriate to ask with the Eagles board, but since it's about apparel and the decision-making processes behind it, why not.

I believe jumper changes were related to sponsorships (remember reading about the reason behind the reversal of Collingwood's jumpers), if I am correct.

But if the tri-panel wasn't popular compared to the wings they wore away (occasionally home) and the finals (including 2 Grand Finals), why did the board and the club keep them for over 20 seasons? Was it seen more cool back in the mid-90s and the 2000s?

This is more appropriate to ask with the Eagles board, but since it's about apparel and the decision-making processes behind it, why not.

I believe jumper changes were related to sponsorships (remember reading about the reason behind the reversal of Collingwood's jumpers), if I am correct.

But if the tri-panel wasn't popular compared to the wings they wore away (occasionally home) and the finals (including 2 Grand Finals), why did the board and the club keep them for over 20 seasons? Was it seen more cool back in the mid-90s and the 2000s?
I would say that it was probably to do with the board finally listening to the fans.

Excerpt from below circa 2015;

The tri-panel jumper was modified with a logo change in 2007, but has remained consistent since. A couple of years ago, when the club was considering a return to the past, it conducted a survey, both on-line and in the Eagle Eye magazine, to ascertain the thoughts of members and supporters.

About 5000 fans completed the survey and the result was that 80 percent were in favour of a change back to a navy version of the “wings” jumper for our home games.

It has taken some time to settle on the design and to get the appropriate AFL approvals, but it is pertinent, in our 30th season in 2016, to return the wings. The new design was revealed to 1000-strong audience the Club Champion Awards.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/129417/back-to-the-future

One could also lump the paddlepop lion into the same boat, why did it take so long to get rid of it? etc

They switched to the tri-panel as part of their rebrand at the start of the new millennium which included a new logo and the infamous Ochre alternate guernsey and the ditching of the wings for 3 seasons. The first version worn until 2006 had the flying eagle on the front and was on the ochre.
1641724000535.png
The 2nd version featured the Eagle's head from the club logo and was worn from 2007 until 2015
1641725656039.png

For reference, i have recreated the tri-panel with the current head, but original colour eagle.

(an ochre eagle doesn't look too bad at all tbh)

View attachment 1308339

Looks quite nice there.

Colour orientation.
The position of the logo.
Black Castore logo.

Well done NR.

IIRC the Eagles board here started a Return the Wings campaign, did social media, handed out flyers at games, contacted the club, etc. This prompted the club to survey the fans and we got the wings back.

As for why we went away from them in the first place I can only assume someone decided the brand needed to be refreshed and we ended up with ochre, the fat Eagle and the tripanel.

the AFL should never have let them wear a tripanel like that to begin with. One of the worst designs I've seen from a watchability perspective, the only time I can think of where players look like they're wearing different kits based on which direction they're running.

I would say that it was probably to do with the board finally listening to the fans.

Excerpt from below circa 2015;

The tri-panel jumper was modified with a logo change in 2007, but has remained consistent since. A couple of years ago, when the club was considering a return to the past, it conducted a survey, both on-line and in the Eagle Eye magazine, to ascertain the thoughts of members and supporters.

About 5000 fans completed the survey and the result was that 80 percent were in favour of a change back to a navy version of the “wings” jumper for our home games.

It has taken some time to settle on the design and to get the appropriate AFL approvals, but it is pertinent, in our 30th season in 2016, to return the wings. The new design was revealed to 1000-strong audience the Club Champion Awards.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/129417/back-to-the-future

One could also lump the paddlepop lion into the same boat, why did it take so long to get rid of it? etc

Bolded sticks out. The club only considered a return after the campaigning of a lot of us over on the Eagles board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Predominantly, footy is run at the professional level by dumb blokes who hold their positions at footy clubs or at the league either because they were good at footy or because their parents were rich. Generally these blokes think they know better than the rank and file supporters.

Basically every stupid thing you can think of about footy comes down to this.

club even invited a group of us in for a chat after some constant hounding on socials etc
We are considering doing an episode on our podcast about this perdiod of the Eagles gear. Would you or someone else from the group be keen to chat in more detail about this?

They switched to the tri-panel as part of their rebrand at the start of the new millennium which included a new logo and the infamous Ochre alternate guernsey and the ditching of the wings for 3 seasons. The first version worn until 2006 had the flying eagle on the front and was on the ochre.
View attachment 1308283
The 2nd version featured the Eagle's head from the club logo and was worn from 2007 until 2015
View attachment 1308294

Technically the first version of the Eagles tri panel was the preseason “BGC” guernsey (so named because of the guernsey sponsor) which was worn in the 1997, 1998 and 1999 preseasons.

It was acknowledged with the launch of the 2000 home tripanel that the BGC guernsey was its inspiration.

“The pre-season guernsey, which has been popular with our players, has been retained and we have put a new eagle on it.”

View attachment 1308283

First time I saw that eagle I thought it was wearing pants. I've never been able to unsee it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back