AFLW AFLW Season 6, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching GWS vs GCS you can see the young girls coming in now have better skills, But when you watch the best Adel vs Bris they are above half the comp in skills

Gardiner for Maguire for sure; Van De Heuvel reeeeally needs to start upping her output too.

Darby was quiet yesterday but she can provide Fuller with some ruck respite, might win her an extra game I'm guessing ...

Agree with van de Heuvel. Same goes with Ivey IMO.

I think with Darby, Ivey & couple of other senior players, they'll keep getting games to provide a "mentor/leadership" role. Their experience will be there most important asset. We're a very young team as it is, and outside of Higgins (23 games, 31) all the players who didn't play yesterday are 22 and under. The most experienced of that lot is Clarke (14 games, 21)

hmm, you're right on that - but we'd have been top of our conference for a week at least?
Looking at the results from week 1, I think we would have been second in our conference

We beat Collingwood by 1 point, 24 vs 23, while Brisbane also in our conference beat GWS by 2 points with a grand score of 29 vs 27

But compared with a 16 point loss to Fremantle to start 2020, and the 62 point smashing last year, this was a more promising performance

Agree with van de Heuvel. Same goes with Ivey IMO.

I think with Darby, Ivey & couple of other senior players, they'll keep getting games to provide a "mentor/leadership" role. Their experience will be there most important asset. We're a very young team as it is, and outside of Higgins (23 games, 31) all the players who didn't play yesterday are 22 and under. The most experienced of that lot is Clarke (14 games, 21)

I'd like Clarke back in the side for Gunjaca, although I wouldn't begrudge the mature-age recruit one more game really ...

Ivey was quiet yesterday but I thought she was pretty solid in defense last year ...

Georgie Rankin is the mature aged player whose spot in the team I would question above nearly everyone else; she's improved in her time at the club, but at a slow rate and frankly I think we have better players not in the team who should take her spot .. however she is clearly really highly regarded by all at the club, so I expect her to keep getting games despite her limitations ..........

Georgie Rankin is the mature aged player whose spot in the team I would question above nearly everyone else; she's improved in her time at the club, but at a slow rate and frankly I think we have better players not in the team who should take her spot .. however she is clearly really highly regarded by all at the club, so I expect her to keep getting games despite her limitations ..........

If Denby Taylor was available this year, she would take Rankin's spot IMO.

I had her pegged as a classic first generation battler but I thought she was really good yesterday, particularly given how much pressure the backline was under.

Barber in F50 asap please../ I know she’s hurt so not expecting too much soon - but her marking presence and follow up last year was impactful and will help McWilliams out a lot IMO.
SVH does need to lift but you can see her work and skills are good.. it will come together for her soon.
Year over year.. it was massive improvement and whist there is still a long way to go… you can see how far the group has come forward.
Fitness and repeat efforts for mine are still the biggest weakness.

overall… I’d be happy seeing that level of effort each week this season… that will win games
Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes from our match on Saturday:

SAT, JANUARY 8
North Melbourne vs Geelong Cats
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 - Ashleigh Riddell (NMFC)
6 - Jenna Bruton (NMFC)
6 - Amy McDonald (GEEL)
4 - Georgie Prespakis (GEEL)
3 - Madeline Keryk (GEEL)
1 - Emma King (NMFC)

I was stunned yesterday by girl named Alyce Parker, find out she has been allAustralian last 2 years, I have never heard of her but she is a gun footballer....They have 2 irish women 1 is 40 the other is 35, i think the irish women are better than the irish men

Coaches votes from our match on Saturday:

SAT, JANUARY 8
North Melbourne vs Geelong Cats
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 - Ashleigh Riddell (NMFC)
6 - Jenna Bruton (NMFC)
6 - Amy McDonald (GEEL)
4 - Georgie Prespakis (GEEL)
3 - Madeline Keryk (GEEL)
1 - Emma King (NMFC)
Must have been the North coach giving King 1 vote

As someone who watched (suffered) the North game at the ground last year I was very pleased to see the improvement this year. Couldn't have been much worse but could have been as bad if the club hadn't taken action. We done Presparkis on the rising star award. Some of our newbies are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

The third quarter on Saturday was the best I've seen us play for the last two years. We did show glimpses of it last year where we'd put the clamps on the opposition's scoring for 5-10 minutes but not hurt them on the scoreboard ourselves. On Saturday we were able to stop North attacking, but also put a couple of goals on the board (and should've probably got a 3rd as well) on the back of it.

It was just unfortunate that they got that lucky goal out the back in the shadows of three quarter time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back