News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Start of the the new year.

Here is the first article

Nova talks AFL as son joins the ranks

not much news for the start of 2022

but here is something.

Wonder if the staff writers forgot to post that a couple of months ago, hence the byline "Ahead of the NAB AFL Draft next week, we look at which faces are still waiting in the wings to run out for your team"

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Wonder if the staff writers forgot to post that a couple of months ago, hence the byline "Ahead of the NAB AFL Draft next week, we look at which faces are still waiting in the wings to run out for your team"
Was a re-post from an earlier article that had already been released.
Probably trying to fill a quiet patch where there is nothing to write about.

Sorry to barge in everyone, but I was wondering if any of you are interested, could you please check out my latest video? It would mean the world to me.

Nice job Luke, I think our failed recruiting under Trout forced our hand a bit with finding a generation of mature talent that needed to replace the holes so that we could stay competitive while rebuilding on the fly. Lethlean definitely gets s**t done. The Richo years seemed to run in slow motion, Lethers seems to have done more in three years than happened in the previous seven.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry to barge in everyone, but I was wondering if any of you are interested, could you please check out my latest video? It would mean the world to me.

I'm only 12 minutes in, but you've done a great job pulling together all this information from interviews and statistics.

Finishing the video with the "More than a game" chorus was brilliant.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Nice job Luke, I think our failed recruiting under Trout forced our hand a bit with finding a generation of mature talent that needed to replace the holes so that we could stay competitive while rebuilding on the fly. Lethlean definitely gets sh*t done. The Richo years seemed to run in slow motion, Lethers seems to have done more in three years than happened in the previous seven.

I agree mate. We are of course looking at all this with the benefit of hindsight, but what you have said is spot on.

And I love what Lethlean has done. There will be mistakes along the way but I think he’s done a great job.

I also enjoyed Luke’s video. Well done.

A really professional productionand well worth everyone watching. I agree with Gringo that with the woeful recruiting by Trout we were forced to take on a new high risk recruiting strategy to claw back the wasted years under him. I love what the club has done but we are starting so far behind the teams like Carlton, Essendon and North who have now banked good high draft picks and now have a solid base of talent to move up the ladder, so its going to be tough to snag that next flag. But can't not try. We deserve a bit of luck.

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nice job Luke, I think our failed recruiting under Trout forced our hand a bit with finding a generation of mature talent that needed to replace the holes so that we could stay competitive while rebuilding on the fly. Lethlean definitely gets sh*t done. The Richo years seemed to run in slow motion, Lethers seems to have done more in three years than happened in the previous seven.

Almost impossible to say whether recruiting or development to blame during the Trout/Bains/Richo years but in my opinion Richo’s development and coaching had at least the same negative impact as draft failures.

Really good video, I see the similarities in our moves too

Almost impossible to say whether recruiting or development to blame during the Trout/Bains/Richo years but in my opinion Richo’s development and coaching had at least the same negative impact as draft failures.

I think it was because under Watters we'd promised a short term refresh and followed up with Richo promising the same. We were always playing for Richos future not a long term plan. Limited guys that were good soldiers kept us around mid table but we didn't take our hit and start a bottom out but didn't have clever enough recruiters to do it without.

The damage done under Pelchen can't be dismissed either. The period we tried to do the bulk work of the mini rebuild was when GWS and GC were taking bulk first round picks out. He traded down and traded out good players for limited access. It's like selling all your blue chip stocks and taking the cash to Cranbourne trots.

Disruption of moving multiple times, limited footy department spend in some kind of austerity experiment and it all adds up to about exactly where we found ourselves. It wasn't all one person, it was multiple poor decisions over a long period. Trout did his best but he was an assistant coach with no recruiting experience thrust into the most important role at a club with no support. Says more about the club than him to be honest.

Thank god that period has gone, Lethlean is spending money knowing that you can't just wait to arse some luck. It looks like they actually have a strategy and plan and that alone is a huge improvement.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
100,000 % MG our development gets a free pass for some reason. Some of our development woes can be seen in our reserves coach situation look how many we’ve had in that period. No consistancy. No ability to develop young talented players into stars. I’ll never understand why our development gets a free pass.

100,000 % MG our development gets a free pass for some reason. Some of our development woes can be seen in our reserves coach situation look how many we’ve had in that period. No consistancy. No ability to develop young talented players into stars. I’ll never understand why our development gets a free pass.

What is "development", having observed AFL training at more than one club they seem to be remarkably similar, sometimes having more development staff can give more time to remedy individual flaws and skill deficiencies etc but I doubt the assistants and training staff were a major impediment to players coming on. Guys like Stuv came good despite the development. I think the way we were coached under Richo was about minimising deficiencies so we played with a loser mindset maybe. Psychology can be a big issue.

Ex players from the Saints aren't overly represented around other clubs or lower levels. Eli Templeton and Nathan Freeman probably the best of them that weren't solid performers when they left. A bit of bad luck and a lot of bad picks seems to be the culprit to me. We seem to be finding much better talent from all kinds of angles lately despite turning over way above average amounts of players in the last 3 to 5 years. 8 out of 45 players left from the list before Lethlean arrived and Geary is probably there as decoration.

Kicking balls and doing drills can sharpen you up and keep you fit but it rarely stops players from making it.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
What is "development", having observed AFL training at more than one club they seem to be remarkably similar, sometimes having more development staff can give more time to remedy individual flaws and skill deficiencies etc but I doubt the assistants and training staff were a major impediment to players coming on. Guys like Stuv came good despite the development. I think the way we were coached under Richo was about minimising deficiencies so we played with a loser mindset maybe. Psychology can be a big issue.

Ex players from the Saints aren't overly represented around other clubs or lower levels. Eli Templeton and Nathan Freeman probably the best of them that weren't solid performers when they left. A bit of bad luck and a lot of bad picks seems to be the culprit to me. We seem to be finding much better talent from all kinds of angles lately despite turning over way above average amounts of players in the last 3 to 5 years. 8 out of 45 players left from the list before Lethlean arrived and Geary is probably there as decoration.

Kicking balls and doing drills can sharpen you up and keep you fit but it rarely stops players from making it.

This is development
1. Consistent/ structured coaches. Not chopping and changing reserves coach every year.

2. Consistancy and clear path for a player to come in and then flourish. This is the major one that is not necessarily tangible and was our biggest flaw and personally what separates us from the best development teams ie Richmond Dogs.

This involves having a very clear position or dual positions for a player especially early in their career to make it simple.

The next step in development is not just Getting players to AFL level but allowing them to excel. This means playing them in positions that they have been player in the reserves. Also not punishing players for making errors and focusing on their strengths. In saying that it also means not having a one size fits all and being flexible for a player to player basis.

Young players at St Kilda would come in to the senior side and play in different positions to what they were playing at reserve level. Some cases in point Acres, Paton, and Wilkie.

Under Richo
In the twos Acres played on ball - in the seniors Ruck, wing, Forward

Pato when he started was being played as a forward even though he had dominated as a HB/Mid at VFL /NAB level

Wilkie- Richo brought him in as a second ruck. Bear in mind this was a guy who had won a bnf in a premiership team at half back. Luckily he was forced to move him there mid pre season game because of Roberton.

Playing to a players strength is crucial to development. Richo failed to do that too often.

2. Skill development admittedly improving kicking is very difficult but not impossible, handballing included.

This is development
1. Consistent/ structured coaches. Not chopping and changing reserves coach every year.

2. Consistancy and clear path for a player to come in and then flourish. This is the major one that is not necessarily tangible and was our biggest flaw and personally what separates us from the best development teams ie Richmond Dogs.

This involves having a very clear position or dual positions for a player especially early in their career to make it simple.

The next step in development is not just Getting players to AFL level but allowing them to excel. This means playing them in positions that they have been player in the reserves. Also not punishing players for making errors and focusing on their strengths. In saying that it also means not having a one size fits all and being flexible for a player to player basis.

Young players at St Kilda would come in to the senior side and play in different positions to what they were playing at reserve level. Some cases in point Acres, Paton, and Wilkie.

Under Richo
In the twos Acres played on ball - in the seniors Ruck, wing, Forward

Pato when he started was being played as a forward even though he had dominated as a HB/Mid at VFL /NAB level

Wilkie- Richo brought him in as a second ruck. Bear in mind this was a guy who had won a bnf in a premiership team at half back. Luckily he was forced to move him there mid pre season game because of Roberton.

Playing to a players strength is crucial to development. Richo failed to do that too often.

2. Skill development admittedly improving kicking is very difficult but not impossible, handballing included.

Richmond is a very stable side and the moment they made substantial playing list changes they fell apart. The Dogs changed more pieces but they rebuilt after their last premiership and again built a youth side based around a core of stars then cherry picked missing pieces. How many assistants did we go through? I wouldn't have thought it was any higher than most other clubs. Hawthorn had the best coach going around but a s**t playing list and he's a bottom of the ladder coach.

We played Acres in different positions at Sandy because we operated like two seperate clubs before we did a take over. That is because of the austerity measures I've mentioned. They seemed to think that you could operate an AFL club with out investing in key areas. That is poor development but not due to staffing issues. I don't remember Wilkie coming in as a ruckman. I thought he played KPB from his first game. I never remembered Paton playing anywhere but back either.

Agree with playing players to strengths, absolutely stupid to do otherwise. Richmond turned themselves around when they realised that that was possible.

Former Fremantle player Harley Balic dies at the age of 25
No Saints stuff but this tragic poor kid

Back