#27 - Harley Balic - Retired

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are you saying you're not one of those guys who takes his acoustic with him everywhere he goes in case the opportunity for an impromptu kumbayah comes along? Not convinced. Going to need a photo of you without a guitar.
I do, but I look for opportunities to bust out Asturias or El Colibri... And no, there are no photos of me without a guitar - well, there is one, but there's a piano in it...

I doubt he'll come back too but if he's as talented as people say then he's young enough that he could prove himself and get an opportunity in the future. It's rare though for someone to leave a sport through loss of interest and return at the highest level.

In terms of the other two points, it's funny, he could play for money and then we'd piss and moan that he's not completely invested and is just happy to be a footballer taking a pay cheque. When he goes against that option he's also criticised. Can't win. Not surprising though, we as supporters want undying player loyalty to the club but are happy to cut nearly anyone at a minutes notice if we think we can get someone better. We're a fickle bunch.
I for one am not fickle. Don’t disagree with me, or you’re dead to me.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
With all due respect, it's a typical arrogance that is taught to "string players", and something I've encountered time and time again specifically from violinists and cellists. "Guitar isn't a real string instrument, it doesn't have all the fine intonation and bow control, blah blah blah.". It's just something they tell you so that you will adhere to the program. All instruments are the same, IMO - they all require very fine motor control in both hands. The sad irony is that the strictness and the implied threats are what cause a huge number of promising musicians to quit. Which is a shame because the threats are typically based on flimsy reasoning.

I know people who were not prodigies, who were still very unformed chunks of clay even when they first started at the Con, two of them are currently members of the MSO, one is a member of the SSO, and a few others are having good careers in the ensemble music scene. Now, you could argue that this isn't a high flying string career, but they don't let any old chump into the MSO/SSO. Limiting beliefs kill more careers than late starts do. A lot of young performers are the victims of their teacher's limiting beliefs and their subsequent abandonment due to their teacher's frustration. I could write a book on the subject of counterproductive teachers and parents getting involved in sound musician's lives.

Did you read her post before you rolled this out? She didn’t say anything about guitar not being a real instrument?

I can understand that playing the Cello would be different to guitar.

If you play Cello, I am guessing that there are far fewer options in terms of making it as a professional player (than guitar) - and that’s why Proper Gander is pointing out the pressure she experienced of needing to develop her talent very early.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did you read her post before you rolled this out? She didn’t say anything about guitar not being a real instrument?

I can understand that playing the Cello would be different to guitar.

If you play Cello, I am guessing that there are far fewer options in terms of making it as a professional player (than guitar) - and that’s why Proper Gander is pointing out the pressure she experienced of needing to develop her talent very early.
Mate, out of respect to PG, I'm going to bow out of that debate.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I wonder if there's any other team board where retirement threads devolve into an arguments over which stringed instruments have the most merit for childhood prodigies to pursue...

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I do, but I look for opportunities to bust out Asturias or El Colibri... And no, there are no photos of me without a guitar - well, there is one, but there's a piano in it...
Sorry, one more question: did you end up making a career out of music?

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sorry, one more question: did you end up making a career out of music?
Yeah, I've been a teacher, performer and session musician since I finished my studies. But I've also done other stuff like gardening, website design, home renovation. Not because you can't make money from music, but because I go crazy if I don't mix up my routine regularly. But music has been the one constant.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Poor guy. I watched him play in a Casey v Port Melbourne match. He was clearly talented and I was sorry he dropped out of AFL before we got to see him play at the highest level. I also recall clearly thinking that he looked miserable as hell :(

Tragic news and I feel deeply for his family. 25 is so young

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne Media guys, put something on your bloody website ffs! I don't care whether someone plays 0 games or 300 games, if they have been recruited by us then they are apart of the demons family and we need to acknowledge his passing on the website out of respect. Get it together media guys at the club. This annoys me.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Melbourne Media guys, put something on your bloody website ffs! I don't care whether someone plays 0 games or 300 games, if they have been recruited by us then they are apart of the demons family and we need to acknowledge his passing on the website out of respect. Get it together media guys at the club. This annoys me.
Settle down mate. Not much time has passed

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reading through this thread is incredibly sad knowing what we know now.

Poor bloke - I hope he can rest easy now.

You really can't imagine how bad it can get for someone and the demons they face every day, even if they do play professional sport.

There's also still so little understanding in the general public of how substance use and addiction interacts with this.

Reading through this thread is incredibly sad knowing what we know now.

Poor bloke - I hope he can rest easy now.

You really can't imagine how bad it can get for someone and the demons they face every day, even if they do play professional sport.

There's also still so little understanding in the general public of how substance use and addiction interacts with this.

*checks to see if I have commented in this thread, no, phew* you guys are evil, you should try being a humanitarian like me 😇

Back