News James Hird hired by the AFL-owned Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird Joins the GIANTS
James Hird has joined the GIANTS as a leadership advisor.
Former Essendon Premiership captain and coach James Hird will make his return to football in a new role with the GIANTS.

The Australian Football Hall of Famer will join the club in a part-time capacity as a leadership consultant.

Having played 253 games for the Bombers, Hird won two Premierships, a Norm Smith Medal, five Best and Fairest awards, and was named in Essendon’s Team of the Century.

Hird was awarded the game’s highest individual honour, the Brownlow Medal, in 1996, as well as being named in five All-Australian teams.

Hird said he was looking forward to stepping back into the AFL industry.

“It probably came about through Matt de Boer actually, I had got to know him quite well through some work away from the club and he invited me to come down and have lunch with the players while the team were in Melbourne last year,” Hird said.

“Mark McVeigh then asked if I would come and speak to the group about playing football in Melbourne, my experiences in the AFL, and impart some of my life journey. For younger players it’s good to hear, but also for senior players.

“Getting to know Leon (Cameron), I’ve had a huge amount of respect for him over a very long period of time, so getting the chance to work with him was something I was really looking forward to.

“It’s a part-time role, and very much around the leadership group but also around the emerging leaders and sharing my experiences in football and trying to get them to lead and encourage and work hard on that side of things.”

Hird spoke to GIANTS playing group during their time in the Melbourne last year after they relocated from NSW due to a COVID-19 outbreak.

He also travelled to NSW to spend time with the club’s new leadership group and emerging leaders when they travelled to the Central Coast for a pre-season planning session in December.
GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney said:
“An opportunity presented to work with James in a leadership consultancy role in 2022 and given how successful James has been in the game, we knew he would have a lot to offer our club.
“It’s fantastic to have someone of James’ calibre join our program and work with our leadership group and emerging leaders’ group.
“We welcome James’ insights from both his storied football career and his work in the business world.”

The GIANTS will kick off their 2022 season on March 19 when they take on the Sydney Swans at Accor Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the real world cheats shouldn't be allowed tp proper and your club tried cheating and was caught.
As distinct from clubs that tried cheating and didn't get caught or were brushed over coz they looked too vulnerable to survive the damnation. There are a heap of guilty people at other clubs who ran to the hills.

When Essendon supporters stop defending the behavior of their club pre and post the drugs scandal and apologize for bringing the entire code into disrepute then Ill move on. But no , it was Demetriou , it was Gil , it was Dank , it was Caro , it was the WEapon , it was Ziggy , it was Melbourne, it was Gold Coast , it was Geelong. It was never Essendon. Defended by an Essendon media mafia that honestly was so compromised it became even more embarrassing.

To think how feverish you Essendon people were about Carltons salary cap stuff. They atoned , took their medicine and blamed no-one but themselves( rightfully). But you guys and your victim mentality is just pathetic. That's why their is zero respect for that club, your own supporters bring about this disrespect as your sense of entitlement and lack of accountability is glaring.

Enjoy the current long long wilderness.

Wow , just a pathetic cohort of supporters.
Essendon are guilty, but so are others.

'the Feds' had nothing- why do you think the whole case went to CAS who then changed all the rules to get a doping tick.
Absolute farce.
What? CAS changed the rules? AFL changed the rules to get an acquittal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back