Analysis Cockburn vs Freo - Should we move back

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not seeing the relevance to the argument. Most big screen functions are at nominated pubs and parks anyway. Feck, Brisbane's was at the Soutbank Piazza: a full 2kms from the Gabba or Coorparoo where they (used to) train.

It's a nothing point.
Eh, fair point. Your probably right.

Nothing to do with where we train it’s about our linkage to Fremantle. The Steve’s categorically stated that there would always be an association with Fremantle, the place, with some material presence. It didn’t happen until the AFLW materialised. As for the training base I really don’t give a rat’s but our identity is with Fremantle not Cockburn. For mine there is too much Cockburn in our marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ring the club and ask them.
As I said it really has nothing to do with the club.The developers may not want anything done there.There are tree, small ones already there any way.

Yeah right, they are going to give a s**t about one random calling about the lack of shade and foliage on the side of the training ground.

You'd think in the current zeitgiest of green virtual-signalling and climate change hysteria the club would somehow find a way to increase the flora for positive spin.

Nothing to do with where we train it’s about our linkage to Fremantle. The Steve’s categorically stated that there would always be an association with Fremantle, the place, with some material presence. It didn’t happen until the AFLW materialised. As for the training base I really don’t give a rat’s but our identity is with Fremantle not Cockburn. For mine there is too much Cockburn in our marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Get what you mean. Ultimately, the fans should just see the club as the city of Fremantle. Whereas today’s professional sport means any way to improve or elevate their resource and training, clubs will take it.
Essendon are now based at Tullamarine. They moved away from Windy Hill a few years back. Still Essendon.
It’s just embarrassing, going to Melbourne seeing the facilities in whichever Melbourne, Collingwood, Richmond were training at to then come to Freo Oval which resembles a Sunday league kick about facility with a car park.
Cockburn offered a land package, a complete new blueprint. No restricting heritage buildings or streets. It became the decision which Freo had to do in order to compete at the highest professional level.
Go to Collingwood’s Holden Centre or Punt Road. Let me know if you still want to be in Freo. It’s just not viable nor feasible with what the council demanded.

Yeah right, they are going to give a s**t about one random calling about the lack of shade and foliage on the side of the training ground.

You'd think in the current zeitgiest of green virtual-signalling and climate change hysteria the club would somehow find a way to increase the flora for positive spin.
They could spin it as a fire break

They could spin it as a fire break
image.gif

What a negative response.
It is funny how so many have complaints, yet seem so afraid to contact the club about them.
Give it a go you will more than likely be surprised.
I have rung about a few issues and have always had a response via telephone form one of the senior board members.

The club is a hell of a lot bigger than Fremantle. It greatly outnumbers the residents (many, not caring about footy). https://forecast.id.com.au/fremantle/population-age-structure?WebID=10

The city of Fremantle includes, Beaconsfield and Hilton. It's a mistake to infer that all people in Fremantle Cities boundaries see the faint pulse of Freo central as a necessity for the clubs identity, not everyone wakes up to the immediate smell of the coffee strip. Also, the areas beyond were always a feeder to the 2 Freo teams, the Cockburn site is in reality nestled in the greater Fremantle area.

Fremantle city had it's chance to continue to host the Dockers (I'll come back to this point), one of the biggest businesses in it's boundaries, but pissed it's opportunity against the wall. It is - and will be for the foreseeable future, at Cockburn. To suggest that the greater Freo area is not Fremantle enough is a bit of an insult to the people there that supported and helped make possible the greatness of the 2 Fremantle WAFL teams.

As for the "Dockers" bit. The AFL has pushed the decoupling of towns/suburbs/cities for a long time. Collingwood is a pretty small place, pies supporters are both unwashed and numerous everywhere. As for us, the club can't support itself as Freo, it can support itself as the Dockers - if we are only "Fremantle" we should hand our best academy players from whoop whoop back into the system and not draft them.

Back at the home of WA football, Fremantle Oval.
Gee I was impressed by how well Alex Pearce spoke in this interview.
His words on Harley Balic were very genuine.
Also his thoughts on how the virus could have effects and how it could be handled were very interesting.

Back at the home of WA football, Fremantle Oval.
Gee I was impressed by how well Alex Pearce spoke in this interview.
His words on Harley Balic were very genuine.
Also his thoughts on how the virus could have effects and how it could be handled were very interesting.
Pearce clearly prefers training in Freo. Hopefully Wednesday sessions roll to Thursday too :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only because he can walk into the strip and get a coffee.
It wont happen.

It's more than coffee - it's creating a workplace appealing to the staff (players).

All the guys were out getting lunch in groups today which will be huge for team morale.

Beyond Alex, the management want to return to Freo too.

Never say never.

It's more than coffee - it's creating a workplace appealing to the staff (players).

All the guys were out getting lunch in groups today which will be huge for team morale.

Never say never.
It will never, yes never, happen.
We are far too entrenched at Cockburn, Far too much money spent ,To move would be impossible. We would never have enough money, as the facility at Cockburn was funded by the CCC, the State and Federal gov, This would not be possible to move back.
Beside Fremantle city never wanted them. If they did they did very little to keep them there.
And management know damn well that it is not possible.
Oh and there is the incumbent residents, South Fremantle that are not overly keen on Fremantle football club.

Never say never.
Message the council, tell them to bulldoze the old grandstand or derelict standing area on the other side… haha just kidding, they’re heritage listers.

It will never, yes never, happen.
We are far too entrenched at Cockburn, Far too much money spent ,To move would be impossible. We would never have enough money, as the facility at Cockburn was funded by the CCC, the State and Federal gov, This would not be possible to move back.
Beside Fremantle city never wanted them. If they did they did very little to keep them there.
And management know damn well that it is not possible.
Oh and there is the incumbent residents, South Fremantle that are not overly keen on Fremantle football club.

I reckon the same was said about St Kildas move to Seaford then back to Moorabbin.

Players hated the drive out there and back, reportedly made it difficult to attract players (although I would blame it on the Saints being a s**t club). Any one heard any players views on Cockburn?

I reckon the same was said about St Kildas move to Seaford then back to Moorabbin.

Players hated the drive out there and back, reportedly made it difficult to attract players (although I would blame it on the Saints being a sh*t club). Any one heard any players views on Cockburn?

I wasn't aware of the St Kilda move.........their story is very similar to ours:

Nick Riewoldt says St Kilda’s move to Seaford ‘crushed’ the playing group

ST Kilda great Nick Riewoldt says the club’s move to Seaford in 2011 “crushed” the playing group.

The Saints elected to move from Moorabbin to Seaford off the back of falling out with Kingston City Council.

But now, St Kilda has returned to its spiritual home, with the club reopening its Linton St training base this week.

Riewoldt said the playing group had experienced a tough time at Seaford.

“I’ve heard the last couple of days now that we’re out of Seaford, everyone saying what a great facility it was for us along the journey,” he said on Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I mean, that’s rubbish. That’s spin.

“Because it wasn’t a world-class facility and geographically it was tough for the players.”

When asked whether the move had “ripped the soul out of the club”, Riewoldt said there was “no doubt” that was the case.

“For the group at the time, on the back of a grand final in 2009 and 2010, arguably the best list that we’d accumulated in the club’s history, and then to go down to Seaford, away from the spiritual home — yeah, it crushed the group at the time,” he said.

Former Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy said he empathised with Riewoldt, noting the importance of a training ground and changerooms to the fabric and history of a club.

”It’s ‘oh, you’re professionals and you get paid a lot’ and it’s like yeah but we’re all from — Nick’s from Tasmania, I’m from Gippsland country — we’re all from regional footy clubs or local footy clubs,” he said on AFL 360.

“So the smell of the changerooms and the pictures on the wall, the people that have gone before you, those things seep into — we throw the word culture around frivolously in some ways — but the actual physical home of footy clubs, and that’s very real.”

Riewoldt said one of the biggest regrets associated with the move was how it had taken the Saints away from their fans.

The former St Kilda captain said he believed returning to Moorabbin would help the club on a number of levels.

“The disconnect between us and our supporter base because Seaford was a satellite training venue. So there was just dissociation,” Riewoldt said.

“It felt like we didn’t have the same regulars that would come down to training with their clipboards and they’d sit up in the stands and pick the team. And they’re the fabric of the football club, people like that.

“So great that we’re back there, I think it’ll be terrific for the football club on a number of levels — commercially, being able to attract players, the spirit it will engender amongst the group will be great.”

It was a bit of a s**t show from both sides but it ultimately came down to money (they got the funding they needed to build at Cockburn) and room for bigger facilities and future expansion which there was no way in hell they would get in Freo. When it comes down it, the club was always going to leave Freo whether people liked it or not. They had to if they wanted facilities that were up to modern day AFL standard. Plus, they moved 15 minutes down the road FFS. It isn't like they moved to ******* Joondalup which you would think they did from the way some of you carry on. The whole argument and constant bullshit about the club going back to Freo or that they should never have left Freo is ******* annoying and boring.

This is just so much bs. FCC were very keen to keep Freo in Freo. Rosich stitched them.
FCC did not enough to make it viable for FFC to stay. They put too many hurdles in front of them.
But all that is in the past. Fremantle FC will not in our life times return to the Home of WA football, Fremantle oval.

This is just so much bs. FCC were very keen to keep Freo in Freo. Rosich stitched them.
Nope. Not true. There was no benefit from what FCC offered vs what other clubs have in terms of facilities and training ground.
Another was board members/general members of South Fremantle blocking any move possible. Had Fremantle FC lucrative handout to the WAFL been accepted then Bulldogs would’ve shared facilities with East Fremantl. That would’ve allowed Fremantle redevelop the crumbling change room/club room blocking redevelopments.
Cannot have two clubs sharing one oval at loggerheads.
Have to say, am very jealous of Perth Demons and West Coast. Managed to find harmony, and look at the grounds/facilities now. If only

Remove this Banner Ad

Back