Past #39: Flynn Perez - drafted w/ #39 in 2019 ND - 2x ACL - delisted end '23 - 24 NM games / 1 NM goals - thanks Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If I see a best 22 side without this guy in there, consider yourself blocked.

I believe.

I believe too but it's not unthinkable he starts in the VFL. If our starting back 6 consists of Ziebell, McKay, Corr, Hall, Walker and McDonald, and there isn't room for him on the bench (likely to be a very crowded midfield), there's no problem with starting him in the VFL then elevating him based on performance. He hasn't played a senior game at any level since 2020, plonking him straight into top level footy might not be the best thing for his development. Besides, just giving guys games without making them earn it is how you get stagnant footballers like Shaun Atley.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I believe too but it's not unthinkable he starts in the VFL. If our starting back 6 consists of Ziebell, McKay, Corr, Hall, Walker and McDonald, and there isn't room for him on the bench (likely to be a very crowded midfield), there's no problem with starting him in the VFL then elevating him based on performance. He hasn't played a senior game at any level since 2020, plonking him straight into top level footy might not be the best thing for his development. Besides, just giving guys games without making them earn it is how you get stagnant footballers like Shaun Atley.

1641971002982.png

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah all fair points, but personally I'm optimistic his form will warrant selection.

Also think it's important to our list balance that we start transitioning some younger defenders through there in 2022 (if they warrant selection). No point having a firing midfield in a few years if all our starting defenders are retiring.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah all fair points, but personally I'm optimistic his form will warrant selection.

Also think it's important to our list balance that we start transitioning some younger defenders through there in 2022 (if they warrant selection). No point having a firing midfield in a few years if all our starting defenders are retiring.

Yeah I agree. But we'll see. If he lights it up in the practise games he'll probably be selected, but that's conditional. No doubt some younger defenders will play back there in 2022, but there's plenty of time for that during the season, it doesn't all have to happen in the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Sheppard is the other, the bloke from west coke.
Not a bad comparison. Not sure if Flynn has a bit more rebound to him, but Brad was a phenomenal player. (Flynn) Definitely has got more versatility to play anyway on the outside or on the hb line.

Last edited:
Perez is one of a very small handful of players that have the potential in them to turn this year from another full blown development year to one where we are an unexpected challenge for finals - and a much more enjoyable season. Great to see him doing well.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone got a good player comparison for Perez?

From what I’ve seen at training, Michael Hibberd.

He’s probably a bit quicker though, he’s a solid unit and stopped a lot of players in their tracks that tried to walk through him in match sim.

I don’t really see the Docherty/Scholl comparisons tbh.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From what I’ve seen at training, Michael Hibberd.

He’s probably a bit quicker though, he’s a solid unit and stopped a lot of players in their tracks that tried to walk through him in match sim.

I don’t really see the Docherty/Scholl comparisons tbh.
I can see him becoming a proper intercepting and rebounding medium defender. He's got good hands, a good leap, reads the game well and a bag full of courage. Add that to his pace and excellent ball use and he has the tools needed for that role. That's why I likened him to Tom Doedee previously who is of a similar size and an excellent interceptor.

Interceptions is a weakness in our game with Ziebell the only North player in the top 100 interceptors in the game.

Last edited:
I see him as more a rebounder and playmaker like Jake Lloyd as opposed to an interceptor

In terms of interceptors I think that will be more Bonar in the future

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see him as more a rebounder and playmaker like Jake Lloyd as opposed to an interceptor

In terms of interceptors I think that will be more Bonar in the future
Bonars would be lucky to intercept a soft serve at Sizzlers. Stop, sure. He can stop when the worlds align (ie prior to injury)

We need to FA or trade for an intercepting CHB to compliment McKay.

Back