NCAA 2021/22 - NCAA National Championship Game - Alabama vs Georgia

Remove this Banner Ad

nice, have a cry Saban

absolutely was there
The refs could've thrown half a dozen flags against Georgia for similar pass interference calls throughout the game.
e.g. The 3rd quarter interception by Smith when Poole interfered with Alabama TE Billingsley was one such example.

Fair enough for Saban to lose his s**t at the refs for penalising the 'bump and run' coverage at that vital late stage in the game after they'd generally ignored substantial contact by DBs from both teams over the previous 55 minutes.

But I get it. This is evil Alabama. The team who causes a Crimson Tide to flow from everyone's anus. Apparently, every single call they get from refs is bullshit & favoritism; every big play they make should've been a penalty for a false start or offensive PI; and Herbsteit should be cancelled for praising the team who've made the NCAA final 9 times in 13 seasons... :D

I am aware. It is more of a case of why the fu** was that intentional grounding but not the one earlier in the game against Young on the TD that was overturned.
Intentional grounding was not called against Bryce Young in the 1st half because the Georgia defensive lineman hit his arm as he threw (grabbed his bicep...) Young's throw landed about 2 metres from the feet of Jameson Williams --> Therefore... No intentional grounding. i.e. It's a direct byplay of of the defender's action. If contact is made with the QB as the pass is released - either putting a solid hit on him, or knocking his arm - this automatically absolves the QB of any intentional grounding penalty, provided he was throwing in the general direction of a receiver.

On the other hand, when Stetson Bennett was flagged, still in the pocket; there was a pass rusher in his face who was about to make contact, but who still hadn't quite got to him. The QB then hurled the ball downfield towards the sideline... Nobody within 20-30 yards of the pass --> Therefore, it was intentional grounding.

-----------------------

...and I thought the Bennett fumble was a lineball call. It was almost an incomplete forward pass, but fumble was probably the correct call. He lost his grip on the ball JUST before his arm started moving forward... Veerrry close call, but the right one, I think. Put it this way... If that had been Bryce Young spilling the ball and a Georgia linebacker gathered it, then everyone in this thread would've been howling for the refs to call it a fumble.

-----------------------

Anyhoo... It was a great game which showcased the SEC superiority. An absorbing battle of defences in which Georgia only gained the ascendancy in the final few minutes and put a nice exclamation point at the end. Fitting that the sensational Georgia defence should end it with a pick six against the Heisman winner who'd been pretty good all game.

Congrats to the Dawgs, Kirby and all the long-suffering Georgia fans. Every dog has his day... :thumbsu:

Last edited:
The refs could've thrown half a dozen flags against Georgia for similar pass interference calls throughout the game.
e.g. The 3rd quarter interception by Smith when Poole interfered with Alabama TE Billingsley was one such example.

Fair enough for Saban to lose his sh*t at the refs for penalising the 'bump and run' coverage at that vital late stage in the game after they'd generally ignored substantial contact by DBs from both teams over the previous 55 minutes.

But I get it. This is evil Alabama. The team who causes a Crimson Tide to flow from everyone's anus. Apparently, every single call they get from refs is bullshit & favoritism; every big play they make should've been a penalty for a false start or offensive PI; and Herbsteit should be cancelled for praising the team who've made the NCAA final 9 times in 13 seasons... :D

Most normal people like to support the underdog when they dont have their own team to cheer on, plus Gaskin is a good bloke, wanted them to win for him. Dont read too far into it.

Most normal people like to support the underdog when they dont have their own team to cheer on,
Alabama were the underdogs.

Georgia started -2.5 point favourites.

Not sure of the in-game betting markets, but Georgia's favouritism would've strengthened after the Jameson Williams injury. A big hill for Alabama to climb without their 2 gun receivers and having to call upon their inexperienced Freshmen backups against the nation's best defence.

Pessimistic Dawgs fans went into meltdown after the SEC Championship loss, but I think most of the pundits recognised the Bulldogs had been the number 1 team throughout the year and that loss was something of an upset... everything went right for Alabama on the night and went uncharacteristically badly for Georgia. Possibly a choke by the Dawgs... Or maybe it was the loss they had to have in order to refocus... They had less to play for in that game. They knew they were in the playoffs, whereas Bama had to win to be ranked in the Top 4.

plus Gaskin is a good bloke, wanted them to win for him
Yep, same here.

But even if Gaskin wasn't a Georgia fan, everyone here would've still posted along the same lines... Everyone complaining about ref & commentary bias towards Bama; everyone barracking for their opponents and then displaying schadenfreude towards Saban & Tide fans if/when they lose. We see it every year when Alabama contest the natty.

That's the price of success. We saw the same thing with the Patriots in the NFL. Or with Lewis Hamilton in the F1, or with any of the dominant teams in the EPL and AFL. It's a funny symptom of being sports fan, being resentful towards those who've had "too much" success. I suppose it's "normal" within the adolescent man-baby world of sports fandom. But I wouldn't call it 'normal' in the greater scheme of things. Excellent achievements are lauded by most people rather than resented.

Dont read too far into it.
I was just replying to your post about Saban going berserk about the crucial pass interference call. The game was on a knife edge: Georgia leading 19-18 and driving inside Alabama territory with less than 5:00 on the clock. Aside from the obvious PI call on Georgia's previous scoring drive, the refs had basically let the defensive backs do as they pleased for the entire game.

It was probably the correct call. But geez, it was a big moment in the game. Georgia had one hand on the trophy from that moment.

You knew it. I knew it. Saban knew it...

But I doubt anyone will remember it in 12 months time when they post about the refs always favouring Bama :D

Last edited:
Alabama were the underdogs.

Georgia started -2.5 point favourites.

Not sure of the in-game betting markets, but Georgia's favouritism would've strengthened after the Jameson Williams injury. A big hill for Alabama to climb without their 2 gun receivers and having to call upon their inexperienced Freshmen backups against the nation's best defence.

Pessimistic Dawgs fans went into meltdown after the SEC Championship loss, but I think most of the pundits recognised the Bulldogs had been the number 1 team throughout the year and that loss was something of an upset due to everything going right for Alabama on the night and everything going uncharacteristically badly for Georgia. Possibly a choke by the Dawgs... Or maybe it was the loss they had to have in order to refocus... They had less to play for in that game. They knew they were in the playoffs, whereas Bama had to win to be ranked in the Top 4.

Yep, same here.

But even if Gaskin wasn't a Georgia fan, everyone here would've still posted along the same lines... Everyone complaining about ref & commentary bias towards Bama; everyone barracking for their opponents and then displaying schadenfreude towards Saban & Tide fans if/when they lose. We see it every year when Alabama contest the natty.

That's the price of success. We saw the same thing with the Patriots in the NFL. Or with Lewis Hamilton in the F1, or with any of the dominant teams in the EPL and AFL. It's a funny symptom of being sports fan, being resentful towards those who've had "too much" success. I suppose it's "normal" within the adolescent man-baby world of sports fandom. But I wouldn't call it 'normal' in the greater scheme of things. Excellent achievements are lauded by most people rather than resented.

I was just replying to your post about Saban going berserk about the crucial pass interference call. The game was at an absolute knife edge: Georgia leading 19-18 and driving inside Alabama territory with less than 5:00 on the clock. Aside from the obvious PI call on Georgia's previous scoring drive, the refs had basically let the defensive backs do as they pleased for the entire game. It was probably the correct call. But geez, it was a big moment in the game. Georgia had one hand on the trophy from that moment. You knew it. I knew it. Saban knew it...

Georgia got absolutely smoked by Alabama a few weeks ago, I didnt look at the betting, surprised to hear they were favs.

Georgia got absolutely smoked by Alabama a few weeks ago, I didnt look at the betting, surprised to hear they were favs.
Alabama had more on line than Georgia in the SEC Championship. They HAD to win it, or they would've missed the playoffs.

Georgia were already assured of a top 4 ranking. They were keeping their powder dry for the playoffs.
No chance of them giving Bryce Young the same latitude to pick them apart a second time.

Last edited:
The rest of your post is the same nonsense ive come to expect from you, a holier than thou attitude who gets triggered by people wanting to see something different and a powerhouse be taken down. Its just as sad as my Brady and Bama hate honestly.

The rest of your post is the same nonsense ive come to expect from you, a holier than thou attitude who gets triggered by people wanting to see something different and a powerhouse be taken down. Its just as sad as my Brady and Bama hate honestly.
Nah, it's not nonsense. It's actually right on the money. But I don't expect you to agree with me.
I'll keep on posting my opinions irrespective of what you think about me.

I mean, I wasn't having a personal crack at you when I spoke of the "adolescent man-baby world of sports fandom". I was speaking in generalities about all of us and including myself... Not looking down on anyone. No offence intended.

Loved their History of the Atlanta Falcons series.

After doing the Mariners, I'm waiting to see who's next.

Will it be NBA or NHL

I support the Sabres and I think they'd be a decent one to do. But apparently their content creators aren't big Hockey fans. So it'll probably be NBA. I kinda expect it to be the Cavs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stetson at the post game celebrations:

49KlyH0.jpeg

Stetson at said 8am interview still hammered:

Watched a full replay of the game today.
Georgia was pretty much in control defensively, no threat whatsoever posed by Bama's O. But Bama's D doing enough too to thwart Georgia.
The game was pretty even, a stalemate, but the officiating affected the game, almost cost Georgia the game, but they were still too good to let a few ridiculous calls affect them.

The initial Bama fumble return TD called back, i dunno man.
But they let Bama off the hook on that yet punished Georgia later in the game for a similar thing, even more clearly arm going forward, but called it a fumble recovery but would've called it intentional grounding if it wasn't a fumble....wtf. Yet the Bama one at the start of the game wasn't. Just insanity of officiating that could've caused major controversy.

The other intentional grounding call another ridiculous one.

Both sides seemed to get away with a bit of DPI here and there, borderline DPI, not obvious, so can ignore that if they're officiating both teams the same. But those other ones I mentioned. Wow,sir.

Just not the same Alabama power-house this season as last, no real weapons. Georgia's D so dominant, never breaking a sweat, felt they were always gonna win it when I was watching the replay.

Not sure if any of you have watched this. Pandemonium from 25 different angles...

Unbridled joy and raw emotions spilling over after a lifetime of waiting, watching and hoping

I'll never get tired of watching that. I couldn't tell you the ridiculous amount of times I have watched that pick 6 over the last couple of days.

What's interesting is that was by far the best season in a long time yet the sport is at the cross-roads with so many different things - NIL, transfer portal, play-off expansion, etc.
Playoff expansion is not happening till at least 2026 [When the current TV deal is up] ACC keep voting against it and seem unwilling to compromise until the NCAA transitions into more of a semi-pro thing, letting schools pay players.

Playoff expansion is not happening till at least 2026 [When the current TV deal is up] ACC keep voting against it and seem unwilling to compromise until the NCAA transitions into more of a semi-pro thing, letting schools pay players.
What's going to happen to the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC?

What's going to happen to the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC?
nothing. they are bringing in Cinci, Houston, BYU and UCF. but their TV deal ends when Texas and Oklahoma are leaving so that will enter free fall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back