A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be playing a few practice matches in marrickville and the likes as well as having an in season presence at the showgrounds.

Beaten to the punch it's been going on for a while by the Swans as the inner west is Swan's territory.

That makes GWS's position even more meritorious considering they are tackling those, using your words, quote,
"heavily immigrant areas that barely know the game exists.'

I think inner west is swans zone, and they aren't allowed to promote themselves in the other sydney teams area.

The majority of the Inner West is a Swans Zone. Nothing stopping the Giants from promoting themselves in our zone (as there is nothing stopping us from doing the same) just better to use your resources in an area of your own so that you can be rewarded development-wise long term.

The majority of the Inner West is a Swans Zone. Nothing stopping the Giants from promoting themselves in our zone (as there is nothing stopping us from doing the same) just better to use your resources in an area of your own so that you can be rewarded development-wise long term.

Agreed. They might be easy pickings, but from an AFL perspective it's a waste of resources.

There are 60k people in Western Sydney that watch Penrith/Parramatta/Canterbury/Tigers games, so there are plenty of sports fans available to convert. And it's much more accepted to have two teams in different sports than going for both the Giants and the Swans.

Long-term, I think the large level of immigration is part of the reason why the AFL has placed the Giants in Western Sydney. For the large part, many of them don't yet have local sporting allegiances, and getting in on the ground floor can create multi-generational support for years to come. It might be a tough slog in the beginning, but I think GWS' work with new Australians will definitely pay off in the long run.

Beaten to the punch it's been going on for a while by the Swans as the inner west is Swan's territory.

That makes GWS's position even more meritorious considering they are tackling those, using your words, quote,
"heavily immigrant areas that barely know the game exists.'

Yeah this is the whole reason I brought up marrickville, I knew the swans were re doing henson park to play aflw there and thought to myself why aren't the giants being proactive in that area as it's still 'west sydney' but would be easier to attract fans there.

there are plenty of sports fans available to convert.

No that would be

a waste of resources.

What you want to do is find the people that your sport appeals to.
Adults tend to be pretty much rusted on when it comes to sport.
The emphasis tends to be getting unaligned youngsters in a generational change.

why the AFL has placed the Giants in Western Sydney.

Potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential and potential.

For the large part, many of them don't yet have local sporting allegiances,.

Er, they play soccer. the default is soccer. You have to entice them away from soccer. You have to show that there is a pathway other than soccer.
Let's show them something more interesting, more attractive and more flashiy than soccer.

1. AFL NSW/ACT is introducing Summer Auskick.

This represents a further ambitious & innovative strategy to promote GR AF in NSW- there is, obviously, much confidence that Auskick can be well attended & successful in summer, in NSW.
Perhaps it is motivated at attracting kids who play other sports in winter, but may be interested in a summer opportunity to play AF.

2. A broad-based "Summer Of Footy" campaign has been launched in NSW & ACT.

AFLNSWACT said

"We are thrilled to kick off a Summer of Footy right across NSW and the ACT, capturing the hearts and minds of tens of thousands (my emphases) along the way".

"Pre-season training for community clubs is already kicking into gear, school programming is back for the remainder of Term 4, NAB AFL Auskick registrations for 2022 are open, umpires are hitting the training track, talent programs and Academies are firing up, and the AFLW competition will be back bigger, better and longer than ever from early January.

Summer of Footy activities 2021/2022

In addition to the usual business of the pre-season, AFL NSW/ACT has developed a range of FREE activities:

• – AFL9s gala days across Sydney from 1 December
  • – Holiday camps to keep kids busy and active across NSW and the ACT
  • – Four-week AFLX programs kicking-off early 2022 across Greater Sydney
  • – Dozens of Come and Try events for new participants from January
  • – Auskick Christmas parties going off throughout December
  • – “Twelve days of Christmas” giveaways for our registered Auskickers (keep an eye on our socials!)
  • – Shopping centre AFL activations during the school holidays".

These developments in summer also reflect the confidence of AF officials, & bodes very well for the progress of GR AF in Sydney & NSW- &, eventually, a 3rd Sydney AFL team..

Interested in your thoughts bring back torps. Should gws be targeting the inner west a bit more to build a fan base?
Yes, I would certainly prefer that GWS target the Inner West, & NW of Sydney- both areas where AF has a significant presence, with excellent GR growth.

If GWS could "claim" these areas, it would be a big boost in their support- unfortunately, GWS has been thwarted, as the GR clubs are zoned to the Swans, with Swans signage etc. A missed opportunity.

Who would go there
The Saints ?
North?
I, & most posters on this Thread, prefer a Tas. 19 th team, before a 3rd AFL team is created somewhere in Sydney- & not a relocation.
The 3rd AFL team will only be created after GWS is financially stable off-field- probably some time in the 2030's.

Last edited:
I, & most posters on this Thread, prefer a Tas. 19 th team, before a 3rd AFL team is created somewhere in Sydney.
The 3rd AFL team will only be created after GWS is financially stable off-field- probably some time in the 2030's.
Don't think a 3rd team in New South Wales will be financially stable by the time the AFL decide on where to base the 20th club, as it will probably be too soon for that to occur, especially if Tasmania gains a license in the next 5-10 years, and the Giants would still need support from the AFL on a financial level by then IMO, adding in the fact the current times we live in as well.

If the AFL committee right now were sensible right now about future expansion, the safe option would be to give the future 19th & 20th team entities to Tasmania & Canberra (Manuka Oval Upgrade) by the end of this decade, before forming WA3 (Perth) & NSW3 (Northern Sydney) by the late 2030s/early 2040s, while still having future expansion options valid in QLD3, SA3, NT, NZ & etc in 2050+, if population & economy in those states, territories or countries allow for future expansion of the AFL competitions to 24+ teams (albeit this is without the relocation of Victorian Clubs).

Don't think a 3rd team in New South Wales will be financially stable by the time the AFL decide on where to base the 20th club, as it will probably be too soon for that to occur, especially if Tasmania gains a license in the next 5-10 years, and the Giants would still need support from the AFL on a financial level by then IMO, adding in the fact the current times we live in as well.

If the AFL committee right now were sensible right now about future expansion, the safe option would be to give the future 19th & 20th team entities to Tasmania & Canberra (Manuka Oval Upgrade) by the end of this decade, before forming WA3 (Perth) & NSW3 (Northern Sydney) by the late 2030s/early 2040s, while still having future expansion options valid in QLD3, SA3, NT, NZ & etc in 2050+, if population & economy in those states, territories or countries allow for future expansion of the AFL competitions to 24+ teams (albeit this is without the relocation of Victorian Clubs).

Agree with those suggestions, I do worry that the AFL will see the carrot of nth qld though which I think for participation would be alright, but bloody hell football in high humidity is shithouse to watch so I would prefer there isn't a team there. Plus what player would wanna play there.

1. AFL NSW/ACT is introducing Summer Auskick.

This represents a further ambitious & innovative strategy to promote GR AF in NSW- there is, obviously, much confidence that Auskick can be well attended & successful in summer, in NSW.
Perhaps it is motivated at attracting kids who play other sports in winter, but may be interested in a summer opportunity to play AF.

2. A broad-based "Summer Of Footy" campaign has been launched in NSW & ACT.

AFLNSWACT said

"We are thrilled to kick off a Summer of Footy right across NSW and the ACT, capturing the hearts and minds of tens of thousands (my emphases) along the way".

"Pre-season training for community clubs is already kicking into gear, school programming is back for the remainder of Term 4, NAB AFL Auskick registrations for 2022 are open, umpires are hitting the training track, talent programs and Academies are firing up, and the AFLW competition will be back bigger, better and longer than ever from early January.

Summer of Footy activities 2021/2022

In addition to the usual business of the pre-season, AFL NSW/ACT has developed a range of FREE activities

Yes, I would certainly prefer that GWS target the Inner West, & NW of Sydney- both areas where AF has a significant presence, with excellent GR growth.

If GWS could "claim" these areas, it would be a big boost in their support- unfortunately, GWS has been thwarted, as the GR clubs are zoned to the Swans, with Swans signage etc. A missed opportunity.

Yep it annoys me, especially when I saw a swans academy player was from a team called the inner west magpies or something. Then you have the north shore bombers aren't they a gws academy club? Makes no sense why a team in the north is gws and team in the West is the swans designated area. The giants need as many footy positive areas as possible to spread the gospel when already giving a thirty years head start to the swans.

Agree with those suggestions, I do worry that the AFL will see the carrot of nth qld though which I think for participation would be alright, but bloody hell football in high humidity is shithouse to watch so I would prefer there isn't a team there. Plus what player would wanna play there.
Same thinking, plus you can add in the fact that the 2032 Summer Olympics will be held in Queensland as well, it just really wouldn't surprise me if the AFL decided to go down that route, although it would pretty much fail from Day 1 IMO given the reasons you mentioned above, and especially given the sorry state that the Gold Coast have been in (on-field & off-field) since its inception in the AFL for 11 years now and Brisbane only just starting to become financially successful & viable as well, on a off-field level.

Same thinking, plus you can add in the fact that the 2032 Summer Olympics will be held in Queensland as well, it just really wouldn't surprise me if the AFL decided to go down that route, although it would pretty much fail from Day 1 IMO given the reasons you mentioned above, and especially given the sorry state that the Gold Coast have been in (on-field & off-field) since its inception in the AFL for 11 years now and Brisbane only just starting to become financially successful & viable as well, on a off-field level.

Actually I forgot about the Olympics, that makes the carrot even bigger to jump in pre 2032 as the afl will want a piece of the pie. They might trump Canberra which would be disappointing. It would also be a mistake having 3 teams in qld and only 2 teams in w.a. the second biggest footy state in Aus.

The reason I also brought up nth qld is because Eddie was randomly pushing that last year as team 20 and has a direct line through to gill.

Yep it annoys me, especially when I saw a swans academy player was from a team called the inner west magpies or something.

it annoys me that you don't give these clubs their respect by using capital letters.
The Inner West Magpies are an old successful club and their followers would have taken the Swans on board when they arrived.
Those followers aren't going to change just because of zoning but they might do it of their own accord.

Then you have the north shore bombers aren't they a gws academy club?

Nope. you are thinking of Manly, a relatively new club with a rather meteoric rise.

Makes no sense why a team in the north is gws

But isn't sort of what you are asking for ?

team in the West is the swans designated area.

The Inner West has traditionall followed and supported the Swans.
Rezoning the Inner West to GWS might increase their support but basically people will make their own decisions.
Families might have connections with the Swans or they might want to try the new kid in town.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queanbeyan FC NSW, bordering ACT, is offering a Challenge Cup comp. (Round Robin, 2 x15 min. halves, 25.2, 26.2, 27.2), inviting women's teams around Australia to enter, & challenge them- for $8k prize money!

The many Queanbeyan FC female players must believe they can have a team that will be competitive against top female GR snr teams from around Australia. This Challenge Cup reflects the strength of female GR in the Queanbeyan area of NSW (& ACT), & bodes well for its continuing popularity & growth.

Quenbeyan FC said

"2022 AFLW Patches Asphalt Queanbeyan Cup​

The Inaugural QTAFC AFLW Patches Asphalt Queanbeyan Cup will be held over the 25th, 26th and 27th of February 2022 at our home Aulich Park, in Queanbeyan!
Women’s football in Australia has grown exponentially in recent years, leading to an explosion of Junior, Youth and Senior Women’s programs across the country.

AFLW continues to see impressive growth, with all 18 AFL teams set to have an AFLW team by the end of 2023. This growth at the elite level has sparked massive interest and development of the game at the grass roots level and we are looking to not only take our successful Women’s program to the next level, but offer a Tournament worthy of showcasing the talent across our region (my emphases)!".

EDIT: The very strong growth of female AF has led to new facilities being built at Queanbeyan FC.

"QUEANBEYAN TIGERS SCORE BIG WITH NEW FACILITIES​

IMG_3572.jpg

Mr Barilaro (local MP) said it marked an exciting milestone with the club’s facilities enhanced to cater for
the growing Queanbeyan Tigers women’s teams, which are now part of the fabric of
Queanbeyan.
“We are lucky enough to have a huge amount of home grown talent in Queanbeyan, however,
the facilities here were struggling to cope with the enormous growth in women’s participation in
AFL (my words, & emphases, in brackets)".

Last edited:
1. Sydney-based Allan Eskdale, who has c. 50 years' experience (jnr & snr GR player, club volunteer, Committee member, & GR financial supporter) in GR RU in Sydney, has currently written a 9 Part Series in The Roar, of comprehensive & very lengthy articles on the many problems confronting GR & elite RU in Aust.- & offers many possible solutions.

In this link below, the topic is "Rugby Project Part 5 Supporting Community Rugby".
In the Comments' Section, he wrote

"AFL is a big threat in Sydney as the junior game spreads out, & gradually takes over the grounds. A lot of the talk here is about how rugby has surrendered at the grassroots junior recruitment level (3.1.22, 10.29am)".

"In NSW, the main game for both rugby codes is trying to stem the drain of kids to AFL together with ground facilities" (4.1.22, 8.22am).

WARNING: Very long read, inc Comments' Section.
The Comments' Section from readers also offers many insights.

The sporting landscape is changing in Sydney, & once almost incontrovertible mantras are found to be false- AF is having very strong growth in Sydney in the last 5 years, some other parts of NSW, & ACT. This growth is likely to continue.

EDIT:

Australia has been announced as "the preferred candidate" to host the Rugby World Cup in 2027.

Should RA obtain the RWC in 2027, this will give RU in Australia a major boost, inc. RU GR nos. (as will hosting the British & Irish Lions Tour in 2025 greatly improve RA's finances).

Last edited:
It was a sensible article for R.U. but the comments section shows that they have little idea.
The demise of R.U. is due to R.U. and the rise of AFL is due to the AFL.
The growing demand for AFL facilities will replace the lessening demand for R.U. facilities.
The only long-term benefit of the demise of a popular sport is the reduction of focus on that sport
(and in this case the freeing-up of facilities).
By default, other sports will fill that media gap.

Sydney-based Allan Eskdale, who has c. 50 years' experience (jnr & snr GR player, club volunteer, Committee member< & financial supporter) in GR RU in Sydney, has currently written a 9 Part Series, in The Roar, of comprehensive & very lengthy articles on the many problems confronting GR & elite RU in Aust.- & offers many possible solutions.

In this link below, the topic is "Rugby Project Part 5 Supporting Community Rugby".
In the Comments' Section, he wrote

"AFL is a big threat in Sydney as the junior game spreads out, & gradually takes over the grounds. A lot of the talk here is about how rugby has surrendered at the grassroots junior recruitment level (3.1.22, 10.29am)".

"In NSW, the main game for both rugby codes is trying to stem the drain of kids to AFL together with ground facilities" (4.1.22, 8.22am).

WARNING: Very long read, inc Comments' Section.

The sporting landscape is changing in Sydney, & once almost incontrovertible mantras are found to be false- AF is having very strong growth in Sydney in the last 5 years, some other parts of NSW, & ACT.
Yes the situation started to change for Rugby in NSW in one school area when AFLNSW finally cracked the Elite Public School System after many many rejected attempts to get in there. They were told straight out -We do not want your game here.
That change was critical in so many ways and has flowed on to our games benefit, and NSW has the population to support 4 football codes. We just want our share and which is yet to be determined.
The point is children should be given the opportunity in Australia to play whatever sport they want anywhere and anytime and the NSW Rugby diehard influencers prevented that.
Keep these articles coming BBT.

For all the mistakes rugby have made over the past 20 years, I think the main thing people are avoiding is stating that the game became pretty much unwatchable to the casual sports fan after England won the WC in the early 2000s. With the accessibility of sport being more prevalent in all locations, people found it too boring to watch such a negative, slow game. That has been the main reason it has died off significantly imo.

Yes the situation started to change for Rugby in NSW in one school area when AFLNSW finally cracked the Elite Public School System after many many rejected attempts to get in there.

Yes the situation started to change for Australian Football in NSW in one school area when AFLNSW finally cracked the Elite Public School System after many many rejected attempts to get in there.

The point is children should be given the opportunity in Australia to play whatever sport they want anywhere and anytime and the NSW Rugby diehard influencers prevented that.

Yes, anywhere people have been given a real opportunity to play Australian Football, then Australian Football has flourished.

For all the mistakes rugby have made over the past 20 years, I think the main thing people are avoiding is stating that the game became pretty much unwatchable to the casual sports fan after England won the WC in the early 2000s. With the accessibility of sport being more prevalent in all locations, people found it too boring to watch such a negative, slow game. That has been the main reason it has died off significantly imo.
That certainly is one reason with R.U. depending heavily on it's international exposure but it doesn't explain
Super Rugby or that amateur rugby is pretty much the same.
IMO, the second reason was that they dismissed FTA TV and took the money.

This is an overview, from Allan Eskdale's Part 1, of Eskdale's 9 Part series on the major problems confronting GR & pro RU in Australia.

Allan Eskdale's analysis, re its very wide scope, & breadth of very relevant details, facts & data, is the best I have ever read on the travails of RU in Aust.- & it should be noted that he says the ARU/ RA has conducted many Reviews, but have never allowed these to be published.

Eskdale is an accountant by tertiary education- &, since 1995 - 2022, has established his own co., which specialises in business/financial analysis, & advisory services for failing co.'s/those possibly facing insolvency etc.

Re this Thread's topic, these are some of Eskdale's comments I have noted.

Eskdale has written:-

. "The solid gold fact is that the game is ultimately and totally reliant on its “grassroots” supporter base for its revenue and sustenance. Due to the relative complexity of the game, and its unique ethos, the “grassroots” predominantly comprise current and former players, close friends and family. The financial failure of RA over the last 20 years is closely aligned with the erosion of this supporter base ".
[Eskdale suggests this game compexity is a "limiting factor" that may prevent RU from greatly increasing its fan base]

. "AFL do the schools thing (in NSW, ACT, & Qld.) really well. RA says we did the school thing very well because xx,000 kids “experienced rugby” via a similar program.

They don’t even tell us whether that was above or below the plan or what should have been achieved...

There has to be a strategy to convert the kids into attending a club to register or maybe play in a touch or 7s format. Or for a family to attend a game.

Rugby supporters are great lifetime customers. Every kid that does not experience positive impacts from attending games, joining a club or playing the game is potentially a lost lifetime customer" (4.12.21, 1.40 pm).

. "The lack of coaching and development on the ground is a big killer. Frontline skills coaching and marketing, but the first to go with COVID (RA $ cutbacks). A typical response, cut costs today, the future is somebody else’s problem.

AFL do it much better than the NRL in the cities (Sydney & Brisbane) as well" (4.12, 1.53 pm).

. "Many of the top NRL players would be tempted to have a crack at union if it was stronger and more viable. When I go through the issues we have in rugby, the NRL have many of the same problems" (4.12, 5.25pm).

. "Who cares how many primary school kids were exposed to our xxxxx program. No word on whether that was an over or under achievement.
The important questions are how many of those kids then joined a club, registered in a touch or 7s tournament or persuaded their family to attend a game. How do they even know which development staff are productive versus popular, or when results indicate to hire more?

Every kid who does not experience the game properly is a potential lifetime customer lost. That is how valuable a rugby supporter is but you don’t see anybody caring about it. Soccer and AFL making big inroads into GPS schools is a huge future loss to rugby revenues" (4.12, 5.44 pm).

. "I suspect the game is growing in the minor states but not enough to offset the erosion in NSW and Queensland. This cannot be ignored because it will eventually sink us" (4.12, 11.35pm).

. "We certainly are not doing much to compete with the AFL in the (NSW, ACT, & Qld.) schools and this will be up for some hopefully detailed debate on how community rugby is supported. The NRL does better than us but hardly worth thinking too much about them, they struggle too" (4.12, 11.43pm).

."As far as kids in schools go, there is no niche. Rugby needs to win hearts and minds, not just for participants over the next 20 years, but as lifetime customers. In NSW I feel we have more or less abandoned the ground for the AFL, and NRL is not much better than us.

The NRL can get away with it because of State of Origin and strong family influence can mean a kid will become a fan without playing the game. Like AFL in those states. People just have to play rugby or be close to someone who does/did. Otherwise they don’t get it (He is suggesting RU rules are too complex, or ambiguous)" (5.12.21, 9.49am).

(Emphases & words in brackets, mine).

Warning: Very long read, inc. Comments' Section.

Last edited:
Plus if they are thinking of putting a team in Cairns they still have torrential rainfall into May making it near impossible for even half decent football, and a turn off for fans.

This is an overview, from Allan Eskdale's

AFL do it much better than the NRL in the cities (Sydney & Brisbane) as well" (4.12, 1.53 pm).

The NRL can get away with it because of State of Origin and strong family influence can mean a kid will become a fan without playing the game.

What we can see is that R.U. is suffering from a lack of resources as previously discussed.
AFL must continue to make the effort and benefit.
The NRL is a bit slack and relies on being the incumbent with the surrounding hype.

Note; there was no mention of how soccer "made inroads" into the GPS schools - program or weight of numbers ?

This is an overview, from Allan Eskdale's Part 1, of Eskdale's 9 Part series on the major problems confronting GR & pro RU in Australia.

Allan Eskdale's analysis, re its very wide scope, & breadth of very relevant details, facts & data, is the best I have ever read on the travails of RU in Aust.- & it should be noted that he says the ARU/ RA has conducted many Reviews, but have never allowed these to be published.

Eskdale is an accountant by tertiary education- &, since 1995 - 2022, has established his own co., which specialises in business/financial analysis, & advisory services for failing co.'s/those possibly facing insolvency etc.

Re this Thread's topic, these are some of Eskdale's comments I have noted.

Eskdale has written:-

. "The solid gold fact is that the game is ultimately and totally reliant on its “grassroots” supporter base for its revenue and sustenance. Due to the relative complexity of the game, and its unique ethos, the “grassroots” predominantly comprise current and former players, close friends and family. The financial failure of RA over the last 20 years is closely aligned with the erosion of this supporter base ".
[Eskdale suggests that this is a "limiting factor" that may prevent RU from greatly increasing its fan base]

. "AFL do the schools thing (in NSW, ACT, & Qld.) really well. RA says we did the school thing very well because xx,000 kids “experienced rugby” via a similar program.

They don’t even tell us whether that was above or below the plan or what should have been achieved...

There has to be a strategy to convert the kids into attending a club to register or maybe play in a touch or 7s format. Or for a family to attend a game.

Rugby supporters are great lifetime customers. Every kid that does not experience positive impacts from attending games, joining a club or playing the game is potentially a lost lifetime customer". (4.12.21, 1.40 pm)

. "The lack of coaching and development on the ground is a big killer. Frontline skills coaching and marketing, but the first to go with COVID (RA $ cutbacks). A typical response, cut costs today, the future is somebody else’s problem.

. "Many of the top NRL players would be tempted to have a crack at union if it was stronger and more viable. When I go through the issues we have in rugby, the NRL have many of the same problems" (4.12, 5.25pm).

. "Who cares how many primary school kids were exposed to our xxxxx program. No word on whether that was an over or under achievement.
The important questions are how many of those kids then joined a club, registered in a touch or 7s tournament or persuaded their family to attend a game. How do they even know which development staff are productive versus popular, or when results indicate to hire more?

Every kid who does not experience the game properly is a potential lifetime customer lost. That is how valuable a rugby supporter is but you don’t see anybody caring about it. Soccer and AFL making big inroads into GPS schools is a huge future loss to rugby revenues" (4.12, 5.44 pm).

. "I suspect the game is growing in the minor states but not enough to offset the erosion in NSW and Queensland. This cannot be ignored because it will eventually sink us" (4.12, 11.35pm).

. "We certainly are not doing much to compete with the AFL in the (NSW, ACT, & Qld.) schools and this will be up for some hopefully detailed debate on how community rugby is supported. The NRL does better than us but hardly worth thinking too much about them, they struggle too" (4.12, 11.43pm).

."As far as kids in schools go, there is no niche. Rugby needs to win hearts and minds, not just for participants over the next 20 years, but as lifetime customers. In NSW I feel we have more or less abandoned the ground for the AFL, and NRL is not much better than us.

The NRL can get away with it because of State of Origin and strong family influence can mean a kid will become a fan without playing the game. Like AFL in those states. People just have to play rugby or be close to someone who does/did. Otherwise they don’t get it (He is suggesting RU rules are too complex, or ambiguous)" (5.12.21, 9.49am)

(Emphases & words in brackets, mine).

Warning: Very long read, inc. Comments' Section.

The author of the Rugby Article mentions that the complexity of the rules etc etc may turn people off. Well back in the day that was the problem as well. It is a complex game rules wise and always has been since 1871.
The NRL experts in NSW say our game is now attracting the same type of middle class supporters that were following Rugby in certain areas of Sydney.
It appears that Sydney in the winter is now a more fragmented city sports wise and is slowly moving from many decades of the traditional NRL -Rugby-Soccer set up to adding our game to the mix.
Think about this for a minute - The AFL only got serious about Sydney funding etc wise in circa 2000, that is a mere 20 years ago.
Provided the AFL funding continues -COVID and all, but COVID will become endemic like the flu- the future looks bright for our game up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back