Streaming Animal Kingdom US 2016

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I like them in some ways, I think Smurf (Ellen Barkin) and Pope (Shawn Hatosy) could have been cast better.. might have actually had a very different effect on the show. Smurf in particular, I never thought she was as bad ass as she was trying to be - not in the way that Katey Sagal nailed her role in Sons of Anarchy
The Aussie babe that plays a younger smurf is hot and believable in her role. What they needed was an older mature version of her. They could have got a female actor in her late 40s,50s thats feminine,strong and believable.

Yeah I agree with Ellen and Shawn. Wrong actors IMO cast. They needed an actor that looks threatening and deranged. I dont think Shawn pulls it off.

Too tired to think of who they could use? Any thoughts? Im interested to hear what you think?

The Aussie babe that plays a younger smurf is hot and believable in her role. What they needed was an older mature version of her. They could have got a female actor in her late 40s,50s thats feminine,strong and believable.

Yeah I agree with Ellen and Shawn. Wrong actors IMO cast. They needed an actor that looks threatening and deranged. I dont think Shawn pulls it off.

Too tired to think of who they could use? Any thoughts? Im interested to hear what you think?

Pope

Oh sorry wron

I think Pope is typecast. He played a very similar character in a Season of Bosch.

Barkin was okay but she just looked to lazy most of the time.

I think for us Aussies that watched the original movie, we were expecting gritty. And we didn’t get it. End of story

I think Pope is typecast. He played a very similar character in a Season of Bosch.

Barkin was okay but she just looked to lazy most of the time.

I think for us Aussies that watched the original movie, we were expecting gritty. And we didn’t get it. End of story
Not really.

In Southland he played a very good cop.

I never watched the original movie and still felt Pope was not well cast.

Another season done and dusted.

As usual, although sketchy, the plans come through and the job is a success. Now we’re on to injuring ex Sons of Anarchy cast with ex Sons of Anarchy violence. And to finish it all off, we’re digging up the past…dun dun dun…

Its far from the worst show out there, but it is pure cheese at times. I’m still on board for season 6.

One question I have though, is how much older is Pope meant to be to his siblings? I assume young Pope is somewhere from 6 to maybe 8 or 9 years old… I always thought Baz was next, then Craig, then Deran. Surely one must be on the way in old-Skool Janine/Smurf world…

Baz is the son of Smurfs mate that owned the strip club.

Hopefully it's explained in the final season how he becomes part of the 'family'.

Baz is the son of Smurfs mate that owned the strip club.

Hopefully it's explained in the final season how he becomes part of the 'family'.

‘Cheers, I’ve never done a rewatch and it seems ages since this show began

strange Smurf gave him the most responsibility then, not being blood

As much as I like them in some ways, I think Smurf (Ellen Barkin) and Pope (Shawn Hatosy) could have been cast better.. might have actually had a very different effect on the show. Smurf in particular, I never thought she was as bad ass as she was trying to be - not in the way that Katey Sagal nailed her role in Sons of Anarchy

Couldn’t agree more - Hatosy is a good actor but not the right fit. Too “clean” too ripped and a little too cool for school. Ben Mendelson came across in the original as totally disturbed and really screwed up. Hatosy has been too mechanical in playing the tortured soul.

Barkin was too distracting with the fake boobs and permanent scowl. Jackie Weaver like mendelson totally pulled off the totally deranged and unhinged criminal matriarch. Barking dialled it in from the start
Overall though I felt this season was better than 5

Funnily enough - is it worth watching the movie? I haven't seen it

‘Cheers, I’ve never done a rewatch and it seems ages since this show began

strange Smurf gave him the most responsibility then, not being blood
Im rewatching s1.

You can clearly see how Smurf manipulated and controlled the boys. She is actually IMO an evil woman for her actions.

Im rewatching s1.

You can clearly see how Smurf manipulated and controlled the boys. She is actually IMO an evil woman for her actions.

Pretty obvious when you watch how young Smurf is around young Pope and Julia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took me a bit to get into season 5

Watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and stopped as it was defiantly the worst stretch of episodes

Started watching it again a few nights ago, wow from about episode 8 onwards it goes nuts. Probably the best stretch of episodes for the entire show.

Got the last episode to go tonight, cant wait!

It took me a bit to get into season 5

Watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and stopped as it was defiantly the worst stretch of episodes

Started watching it again a few nights ago, wow from about episode 8 onwards it goes nuts. Probably the best stretch of episodes for the entire show.

Got the last episode to go tonight, cant wait!
I think the final season begins this month.

Same Ive never seen the movie, however given I am now invested in these characters I cant imagine them being played by anyone else.

Jackie Weaver absolutely kills it as Smurf in the movie. One of the greatest Australian performances of all time. Her role in Animal Kingdom opened the doors to Hollywood where she has been working ever since. Her version of Smurf is far more menacing and unhinged than Ellen Barkins. Can say pretty much the same thing as Ben Mendelson as Pope. His performance also propelled him to Hollywood with his performance being on par with Weaver.

The aussie movie is a classic but I do enjoy the series which is basically a "point break" version of the movie, just really entertaining but not much substance

Same Ive never seen the movie, however given I am now invested in these characters I cant imagine them being played by anyone else.
They aren't the same - very easy to separate the two.

Just watch it.

They dont have the same names and characters?
Same names.

The TV series uses the movie as reference and takes some cues from the movie but they are very different.

Jackie Weaver absolutely kills it as Smurf in the movie. One of the greatest Australian performances of all time. Her role in Animal Kingdom opened the doors to Hollywood where she has been working ever since. Her version of Smurf is far more menacing and unhinged than Ellen Barkins. Can say pretty much the same thing as Ben Mendelson as Pope. His performance also propelled him to Hollywood with his performance being on par with Weaver.

The aussie movie is a classic but I do enjoy the series which is basically a "point break" version of the movie, just really entertaining but not much substance
The first series is almost an exact replica of the movie except for the J & his girlfriend storyline playing out differently from memory

Been a long time since I watched the movie

The first series is almost an exact replica of the movie except for the J & his girlfriend storyline playing out differently from memory

Been a long time since I watched the movie

There is a viciousness and brutality missing from the TV version. Sure Pope is creepy and has his moments but Ben Mendleson brings an evil to the screen that is up there with the best ever performances in Australian film history.

Tv version is fine but the film shatters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back