Votes: 62 84.9%
  • England

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we have multiple good/solid middle order batsman Marnus, Smith, Head, Green, Ussie and no good openers

Also Handscomb had a clear technique issue that was heavily exposed at test level tried fixing it but has never scored the runs required since to force his way in.

I don’t rate Harris and never have, I don’t think it’s confusing why the selectors have been picking him in the hope of him figuring it out more so than the actual thought that he would.
Fair enough on Handscombe. Was just looking through shield averages and saw his name there. He was at 48 odd, which was in the top 10 or so.

Starting to wonder whether the bowling attack will be Starc,Cummins,Green and Lyon. In Head,Out Boland injured.Strengthens the batting but a 5th bowling option if required might be a worry unless they use Labs more.

That would leave me very concerned. Only Cummins and Lyon are really capable of bowling "longish" spells.

Fair enough on Handscombe. Was just looking through shield averages and saw his name there. He was at 48 odd, which was in the top 10 or so.
One that I think is just about done at test level in my opinion, good state cricketer but not an international test batsman going forward.

Handscomb won't be back, too pig headed to just bat normal and wants to keep his ******ed technique.

You are being a little harsh,but agree could be one of these good shield players that is not quiet good enough for test cricket these days.BUT you never know with tough overseas tours ahead and the problems with covid we might take a larger then normal squad over there and if so he might make it.

Not sure whether the medicos have yet OK'd a full bowling load for Green.
He said on ABC at the start of day five that he’s still being monitored, but the restrictions are relatively minimal this summer in comparison to last summer. Said he’s just not supposed to bowl super long stints.

Harris has got the chop and Khawaja to open.

Pour one out for Langer. He'll be devo that he couldn't keep selecting one of his mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure whether the medicos have yet OK'd a full bowling load for Green.
You are correct.
Remember that Smith basically brought him on in Adelaide against medical advise.
Smith said so in an interview after he was queried about his failure to use him for so long.

Last 2 tests played his part,the problem is Khawaja has done better.
Being pretty generous suggesting 38 and 27 is doing his part, I get he blunted the new ball but he has had 14 tests and 26 innings to show he is cut out for test cricket and has fallen well and truly short. Not sure where the numbers sit after the past 2 tests but he would still be close to our worst all time test opener.

He wasn’t unlucky to be dropped.

Being pretty generous suggesting 38 and 27 is doing his part, I get he blunted the new ball but he has had 14 tests and 26 innings to show he is cut out for test cricket and has fallen well and truly short. Not sure where the numbers sit after the past 2 tests but he would still be close to our worst all time test opener.

If Khawaji had failed with the bat both innings of the 4th test it would be in "In Head out Khawaji"OR are you suggesting they would bring in Street or another promising young opener and both Harris and Khawaji are out (I am saying if Khawaja failed with the bat)

While not as egregious, this does remind me of those who criticised Michael Clarke for not batting at #3 when he was scoring a billion runs at #5 during 2012, and was obviously not technically suited to the #3 position.

Diluting a strength to cover a weakness is something ENG have been notorious for doing, and often you don't really wind up doing either.
While this is quite a good refutation of the point, it's not a clean comparison to compare moving Clarke - who could not pull towards the end of his career square of the wicket due to back issues, and was inside the best 3 players of spin I've ever seen - from 5 to 3 to moving Labuschagne from 3 to 2. Moving from 5 to 3 for Clarke would've been making the move because 'a captain cannot bat at 5' or some other like nonsense; as though making runs at 5 is less valuable than making the same runs at 3. Runs are runs. Given the situations Marnus finds himself batting in, he's a third opener anyway.

The fact that England dilute a strength to cover a weakness does not entail that moving Labuschagne a single batting position is similar or will result in worse outcomes. Just as unrelated is the idea that he might experience a bit of a coming back to earth over the next 6-12 months, as his technique to high quality spin is similar to Khawaja's when he first walks out to bat with a better eye and front foot game; he waits on the back foot for the ball to turn.

Opening hides a weakness to spin better than batting anywhere lower than 3 does. Yes, said weakness is hypothetical.

This is a largely Victorian board, tthey will be offended when any Victorian player is dropped form the test team, even when Quiney threw up all over himself.

This is a largely Victorian board, tthey will be offended when any Victorian player is dropped form the test team, even when Quiney threw up all over himself.

How big is that corn chip on your shoulder? We all want to see the best of the best in the Australian team, Harris is not amongst them. Stop disseminating misinformation that there is Vicbias in team selection especially when it comes to Harris

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

How big is that corn chip on your shoulder? We all want to see the best of the best in the Australian team, Harris is not amongst them. Stop disseminating misinformation that there is Vicbias in team selection especially when it comes to Harris

Where did i say there was Vic bias in team selection?

Im said this forum is victorian largely and so naturally they will tend to be biased towards Victorian players.

Where did i say there was Vic bias in team selection?

Im said this forum is victorian largely and so naturally they will tend to be biased towards Victorian players.

I wasn’t talking about the Australian selectors having Vicbias. I’m Victorian, I don’t want any player in the team who is a dud especially a Victorian dud stinking up the joint. I don’t think there’d be too many posters here that would a dud player from their own state in the team either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back