Best vs worst fixtures in terms of the standard of footy produced

Remove this Banner Ad

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Which fixtures tend to be the best in terms of standard of footy, and which fixtures tend to be the worst? Here's the fixtures I see as best and worst.

Best fixtures:

Collingwood vs West Coast - this is probably the biggest rivalry in the game between two teams based interstate from each other, and there have been countless classics between these two sides over the years, in both home and away matches and finals.

Geelong vs Brisbane - an underrated match up which has produced several classics over the past decade, most notably the miracle on grass game in 2013 plus a handful of games decided by a point either way. Amazingly there's been no draws.

Port Adelaide vs Richmond - another underrated match up where the two sides always tend to bring out the best in one another, and it seems whenever we play Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (which is every year thanks to the FIXture) the Power turn up to the game like it's a Showdown.

Richmond vs Fremantle - I'm not sure what it is about this match up, but these games always seem to be thrillers, always going down to the wire, especially at the MCG, and even when the games don't go down to the wire, the two teams still seem to have a knack of bringing out the best in each other. Most notably was the game in 2015 where we towelled up a previously undefeated Fremantle outfit on their home deck, in a game mostly remembered for Basil's commentary.

Richmond vs West Coast - year in, year out, these two teams always tend to produce games that are of a high standard, whether it be at the MCG or at Optus Stadium. It's a shame the two sides haven't played each other twice in a season since 2009.

Sydney vs GWS - in my opinion, this is the best interstate derby by far, and it's already surpassed both the Showdown and Western Derby. These sides genuinely hate each other and see each other as genuine rivals in terms of being Sydney's number one AFL team, and the spectacles of footy between the two sides tends to reflect this.

Worst fixtures:

Collingwood vs Geelong - I don't know what it is about these two teams which always leads them to bring out the worst in each other. Ever since the 2011 grand final, games between these sides have always tended to be of an ugly and low standard of footy, with even the recent finals matches between the two sides (2019 QF and 2020 SF) being largely forgettable finals. To be honest, I'm surprised there's little to no rivalry between these sides, given they've played 25 finals against each other.

Hawthorn vs Collingwood - not too dissimilar to Collingwood vs Geelong, in that games between these two sides have always tended to be of an ugly, low standard of footy since the 2011 preliminary final. Not only that, but the games always tend to be one sided, as Collingwood have only beaten Hawthorn twice in the past decade.

Hawthorn vs Fremantle - these games have always tended to be either one sided or an ugly standard of footy, but mostly a combination of both. The biggest game played between the two clubs happens to be known as the grand final which produced the most forgettable, and ugliest standard of footy seen in a grand final in recent memory, with the game devoid of highlights and the result never in doubt. Hawthorn never looked like losing and Fremantle never looked like winning. For all the flack the 2005 grand final cops, at least it was a nailbiter, with the result hanging in the balance right down to the very last second of the game.

Richmond vs Adelaide - aside from the 2017 grand final, the most memorable game played between these two sides happens to be a game widely renowned for being one of the worst spectacles of Aussie Rules ever witnessed at the highest level. The basketball/keepings off game in 2006.

St Kilda vs Sydney - I don't know what it is about these two clubs, but they always tend to bring out the worst in each other, and it's not just because of Paul Roos and Ross Lyon coaching. The round 5 2002 game coached by Rodney Eade and Grant Thomas was an absolute abomination, and the game ending in a draw was a fitting result. Hopefully Eade and Thomas agreed to throw the match tape in the bin afterwards.

Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast - these games are always incredibly boring to watch, and they always tend to follow the same script, which is Port Adelaide getting the jump on Gold Coast and then going into cruise control for the rest of the match, leading to a glorified training run for the Power as they play kick to kick, while the Suns apply very little pressure, looking like they don't even want to be out on the field.

Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle - easily one of the most forgettable fixtures on the footy calendar, and I can't remember the last time a match between these two sides was on free to air television nation wide, and I doubt there's very many neutrals who would go out of their way to watch these two sides play each other.

Last edited:

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which fixtures tend to be the best in terms of standard of footy, and which fixtures tend to be the worst? Here's the fixtures I see as best and worst.

Best fixtures:

Collingwood vs West Coast - this is probably the biggest rivalry in the game between two teams based interstate from each other, and there have been countless classics between these two sides over the years, in both home and away matches and finals.

Geelong vs Brisbane - an underrated match up which has produced several classics over the past decade, most notably the miracle on grass game in 2013 plus a handful of games decided by a point either way. Amazingly there's been no draws.

Richmond vs Fremantle - I'm not sure what it is about this match up, but these games always seem to be thrillers, always going down to the wire, especially at the MCG, and even when the games don't go down to the wire, the two teams still seem to have a knack of bringing out the best in each other. Most notably was the game in 2015 where we towelled up a previously undefeated Fremantle outfit on their home deck, in a game mostly remembered for Basil's commentary.

Richmond vs West Coast - year in, year out, these two teams always tend to produce games that are of a high standard, whether it be at the MCG or at Optus Stadium. It's a shame the two sides haven't played each other twice in a season since 2009.

Sydney vs GWS - in my opinion, this is the best interstate derby by far, and it's already surpassed both the Showdown and Western Derby. These sides genuinely hate each other and see each other as genuine rivals in terms of being Sydney's number one AFL team, and the spectacles of footy between the two sides tends to reflect this.

Worst fixtures:

Hawthorn vs Fremantle - these games have always tended to be either one sided or an ugly standard of footy, but mostly a combination of both. The biggest game played between the two clubs happens to be known as the grand final which produced the most forgettable, and ugliest standard of footy seen in a grand final in recent memory, with the game devoid of highlights and the result never in doubt. Hawthorn never looked like losing and Fremantle never looked like winning. For all the flack the 2005 grand final cops, at least it was a nailbiter, with the result hanging in the balance right down to the very last second of the game.

Richmond vs Adelaide - aside from the 2017 grand final, the most memorable game played between these two sides happens to be a game widely renowned for being one of the worst spectacles of Aussie Rules ever witnessed at the highest level. The basketball/keepings off game in 2006.

St Kilda vs Sydney - I don't know what it is about these two clubs, but they always tend to bring out the worst in each other, and it's not just because of Paul Roos and Ross Lyon coaching. The round 5 2002 game coached by Rodney Eade and Grant Thomas was an absolute abomination, and the game ending in a draw was a fitting result. Hopefully Eade and Thomas agreed to throw the match tape in the bin afterwards.

Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast - these games are always incredibly boring to watch, and they always tend to follow the same script, which is Port Adelaide getting the jump on Gold Coast and then going into cruise control for the rest of the match, leading to a glorified training run for the Power as they play kick to kick, while the Suns apply very little pressure, looking like they don't even want to be out on the field.

Port Adelaide vs St Kilda - these games always tend to be one sided, boring spectacles, and there hasn't been a single memorable game between these sides. At least Port Adelaide and Gold Coast have the memorable match from 2011 at Football Park, which saw Port Adelaide get out to a 40 point lead before Gold Coast ended up running all over the Power like a pitbull terrier with a rag doll.
Hawks vs Geelong mate.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I find it a little strange that you have Richmond vs Fremantle top 3 when there is no rivalry at all between the clubs, they have never met in a final, no real storylines of significance I can recall, last year (2020) they played in a 12 goal (total for both sides) snoozefest and the average winning margin over the last 5 games is 53 points. The odd decent game in there (like any fixture) but that is about it.

Contrast that to say, Hawthorn v Geelong, which was not included but that has a fierce rivalry, public pacts, streaks, 2 famous Grand Finals, public holiday fixture, a last minute Prelim win, multiple finals/H&A decided after the siren, many games decided by under a goal (including a significant numberin a row) and most importantly, some of the highest quality football we've seen.

Last edited:
Collingwood and Geelong have played some horrible games in recent years
Last 7 matches (since 2017) between those two clubs, have included such wonderful matches & results like:
  • Round 22, 2017: Collingwood (8.11 59) - Geelong (10.10 70)
  • Round 8, 2018: Collingwood (5.15 45) - Geelong (9.12 66)
  • Round 1, 2019: Collingwood (9.11 65) - Geelong (10.12 72)
  • 2019 Quarter-Final: Geelong (7.9 51) - Collingwood (9.7 61)
  • Round 7, 2020: Geelong (5.5 35) - Collingwood (8.9 57)
  • 2020 Semi-Final: Geelong (15.10 100) - Collingwood (5.2 32)
  • Round 11, 2021: Collingwood (6.15 51) - Geelong (8.13 61)
*- Shorten Quarters in 2020 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Best fixtures:

Worst fixtures:

Port Adelaide vs St Kilda - these games always tend to be one sided, boring spectacles, and there hasn't been a single memorable game between these sides. At least Port Adelaide and Gold Coast have the memorable match from 2011 at Football Park, which saw Port Adelaide get out to a 40 point lead before Gold Coast ended up running all over the Power like a pitbull terrier with a rag doll.
Geelong vs brisbane should be in the worst list. Both play terribly boring styles of football and when on the same field produce some of the worst football imaginable.

perhaps the worst football game of all time was the 2019 geelong vs brisbane game late in the season. Geelong was 2nd. Brisbane was 1st. It should of been huge. And the game was very close. And yet the game was an abomination. Everything that football should not be. Both coaches should of been suspended for disservice to the game that afternoon.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

Best fixtures:

Worst fixtures:

Collingwood vs Geelong is the worst fixture and whoever is second isn't even close.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I find it a little strange that you have Richmond vs Fremantle top 3 when there is no rivalry at all between the clubs, they have never met in a final, no real storylines of significance I can recall, last year (2020) they played in a 12 goal (total for both sides) snoozefest and the average winning margin over the last 5 games is 53 points. The odd decent game in there (like any fixture) but that is about it.

Contrast that to say, Hawthorn v Geelong, which was not included but that has a fierce rivalry, public pacts, streaks, 2 famous Grand Finals, public holiday fixture, a last minute Prelim win, multiple finals/H&A decided after the siren, many games decided by under a goal (including a significant numberin a row) and most importantly, some of the highest quality football we've seen.
I think the OP is talking about the standard of the match-up rather than how good the match-up is overall from a rivalry/history perspective.

Having said that, Geelong vs Hawthorn is almost always a good standard game so should probably be up there.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
2013 GF was the worst weather, threateened to rain but there was a squally swirly wind which really favoured the Hawks who knew the ground really well

Off the top of my head, Sydney v Fremantle and Carlton v Fremantle both tend to be better fixtures than the Richmond/Freo combo.

As for all the suggestions of Collingwood/Geelong, I would suggest Hawthorn/Collingwood have been far, far worse for a long time now. Only redeeming note for that is the 2011 Prelim but if we’re extending that far into the past it’s worth noting that the 2007 prelim was a far superior game.

Sydney Essendon has been one in the last decade that you can always bank on an “either team under 15.5” bet.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide vs St Kilda - these games always tend to be one sided, boring spectacles, and there hasn't been a single memorable game between these sides.

I seem to remember this game fondly. What a ripping finish. 15 seconds on the clock. Boundary throw in outside 50. Ryder taps down to Robbie Gray who pings the goal from 50 to win the game from 4 pts down.

I seem to remember this game fondly. What a ripping finish. 15 seconds on the clock. Boundary throw in outside 50. Ryder taps down to Robbie Gray who pings the goal from 50 to win the game from 4 pts down.

Remember this one too. Was a weird game, never felt like St Kilda were going to win it even though the clock has two fifths of * all left for Port to wrestle control back.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Off the top of my head, Sydney v Fremantle and Carlton v Fremantle both tend to be better fixtures than the Richmond/Freo combo.

As for all the suggestions of Collingwood/Geelong, I would suggest Hawthorn/Collingwood have been far, far worse for a long time now. Only redeeming note for that is the 2011 Prelim but if we’re extending that far into the past it’s worth noting that the 2007 prelim was a far superior game.

Sydney Essendon has been one in the last decade that you can always bank on an “either team under 15.5” bet.
If it is in Sydney against Ess, pretty safe bet to go with the Swans with the close margin option.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You must've missed the 2004 PF then.

Also:
Round 19, 2017 (Ryder2Gray miracle)
Round 17, 2013 (5 point game, Saints nearly pull-off massive comeback)
Round 1, 2012 (Thriller)
Round 5, 2010 (Ordinary Port side beat premiership contender, Stephen Milne goal)
Round 4, 2006 (4 point game, unlikely hero Josh Mahoney kicks 6 goals)
Round 16, 2006 (Daniel Motlop miss after the siren)

Back