Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Insults? What insults? He's not above critique or mockery.

2. Self-superiority? He loves hierarchies. Doesn't see much issue as they are currently constructed. Belives activism is for those he deems 'accomplished'.

He is literally pushing a superiority justification.
The "Left" have little knowledge of solipsism...as for Peterson, he needles them and the high and mighty cannot take another point of view.

The "Left" have little knowledge of solipsism...as for Peterson, he needles them and the high and mighty cannot take another point of view.

‘High and mighty’.

Do you realise he’s arguing in favour of recognising an elite and handing them benefits that other leaders don’t get?

I don’t think many of you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I did like JP when he first came onto the scene in the Cathy Newman interview. I read his book which I got a bit out of and actually went and saw him with my girlfriend when he came to Melb. It was a decent experience aside from that ******* moron Dave Rubin coming on stage at the start and asking the crowd:

"who's on the left!?"
"who's on the right!?"
"who likes ben shapiro!?!?"
"who likes sam harris?!?"

Luckily JP spoke mostly about psychology and what not and steered clear of boogey man radical-left-marxist stuff. IIRC his overall message was that the world isn't totally ****ed. Some people need to hear that more than others - from memory it actually had a bit of an impact on my girlfriend at the time as she was battling a bit.

His meat diet was old news when he adopted it - heaps of D-grade social media celebs were doing it. Whenever I've heard him talking about it he makes a disclaimer that he's not a dietician and is only answering questions he's asked, so unsure why people would get worked up over that - if it works for his health then so be it.

I don't see his messages getting lost in his benzo addiction - pretty sure my psychologist battles mental health problems himself so meh.

I haven't kept up with him lately. I thought releasing a book of 12 more rules was pretty shallow, clearly a money grab. I haven't read it but apparently there's just a shitload of Harry Potter references - absolute wink wink nudge nudge to JK Rowling there, no doubt. Scrolling his twitter now there seems to be a lot of anti-mandate bordering anti-vax stuff. Lame.

This is how he started an article in a magazine. He’s losing it, only in his 50s. Sad.

113411f48e3b0d86cd084d475f514a04.jpg

‘High and mighty’.

Do you realise he’s arguing in favour of recognising an elite and handing them benefits that other leaders don’t get?

I don’t think many of you get it.

The entire left leaning public consider themselves high and mighty and morally superior to others. You can't have a decent conversation them anymore. The problem for these leftists is that they like to believe that anybody who disagrees with them is a religious fundamentalist. Having somebody disagree with them who obviously has some intellectual aggots like Peterson scares them, even though he considers himself a classic "liberal" ..

The entire left leaning public consider themselves high and mighty and morally superior to others. You can't have a decent conversation them anymore. The problem for these leftists is that they like to believe that anybody who disagrees with them is a religious fundamentalist. Having somebody disagree with them who obviously has some intellectual aggots like Peterson scares them, even though he considers himself a classic "liberal" ..

The term classical liberal has been abused so much it’s meaningless. Considering the people he endorses and his hysterical postings, he’s complicit.

You're ascribing the behavior of a segment to an entire political spectrum.

Are people suggesting his philosophy directly caused his mental illness? I think we need to separate what people say when their brain is working and when it isn't.
He barks at people telling them they should stop trying to change the social, political, legal landscape because they don't have the experience required. Instead they should hug their abusive Dad.

It's the right-wing myth of unfettered self agency. It's your fault you can't clothe your kids. It's the religious con whereby if your faith doesn't heal you, you don't believe enough and should stop blaming the people in power.

His mantra is "it's your own fault".

Why is his mental health then not his own fault?

Here’s an insult. Peterson is a campaigner and he should lay off the pills.
If someone is tryin' ta beat the gay out of ya, it's your own fault! Respect the hierarchy. Praise the archetypes.

He barks at people telling them they should stop trying to change the social, political, legal landscape because they don't have the experience required. Instead they should hug their abusive Dad.

It's the right-wing myth of unfettered self agency. It's your fault you can't clothe your kids. It's the religious con whereby if your faith doesn't heal you, you don't believe enough and should stop blaming the people in power.

His mantra is "it's your own fault".

Why is his mental health then not his own fault?

Yeah I disagree with him on the whole don't try and change the system stuff - he is too dismissive of identity politics even if he makes good points on why certain identities hold sway and others do not. He has correctly critiqued the poor use of statistics used around the gender pay gap, but doesn't seem to be (or want to be) smart enough to delve in to the subtleties that unfairly hold women back. It's here that I'd say that even though he might disagree, he is definitely a conservative.

I don't mind though his "12 Rules" and general focus on the individual and the power they have to change their life though. I totally believe that external factors have a bigger influence on our lot in life than what we do ourselves (me having a good job in Australia vs being a prostitute in Thailand has nothing to do with my life choices for example), but I think a lot of people growing up today could do with a bit more belief in their self agency - even if ultimately it is a big myth/con - it feels good when you think you have some control over your life. It gives you hope, and it can result in better outcomes within the range of possible outcomes that the cosmos has set out for you.

I don't know about the "it's your fault you can't clothe your kids" bit - I've heard him speak about poverty and how the system makes it very, very hard to climb one's way out of it. And with all he has to say about 20th human atrocities - nah I'm not buying that his mantra for the victims of Hitler / Stalin / Mao would be "it's your own fault".

Is his mental health his own fault? Tough question, but I guess his career choice and the amount of time he spends thinking place him at high risk. He also chose to ride the publicity train for all the good it could give him - one must take the bad that comes with that too. Then there is genetic predisposition and all of that.

I think his attitude would (or should) be rather than saying it's his own fault, ask himself what he can do (aside from professional help, medication, etc) to maintain better mental health. Perhaps above all he needs to follow his own rule: "Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're ascribing the behavior of a segment to an entire political spectrum.
The left feel at unease with Peterson, they really don't know what to make of him. The Liberal left were people who were supposed to be tolerant and fair and who wanted to give all sides a hearing. Not anymore, they just vehemently disagree and cancel you all to hell!

The left feel at unease with Peterson, they really don't know what to make of him. The Liberal left were people who were supposed to be tolerant and fair and who wanted to give all sides a hearing. Not anymore, they just vehemently disagree and cancel you all to hell!

I'd consider myself 'left', despite having a few views that are probably more conservative-aligned on specific things.

I quite liked Peterson a few years back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ill say it again. People are entitled to critique him and mock him. It's not cancelling. He's become a right wing idiot. And he will be mocked for this, regardless of how it impacts your feelings.

Has anyone heard Jordo's opinion on this? I haven't. Weird, as he often proclaims to support academic freedom and preventing government over reach. I wonder why he has not been vocal about this legislation proposed by those who want discussion of societal racism banned.

Florida lawmakers are debating a bill that would allow schools districts to put cameras in classrooms and microphones on teachers.

The measure was proposed by state Representative Bob Rommel, a Republican from Naples.

"I think if we can do it in a safe way to protect the privacy of students and teachers, I think we should do it," he told CBS Miami. "I haven't heard a response good or bad from any teachers, but … it's not their private space. It's our children's space, too."

Has anyone heard Jordo's opinion on this? I haven't. Weird, as he often proclaims to support academic freedom and preventing government over reach. I wonder why he has not been vocal about this legislation proposed by those who want discussion of societal racism banned.

Interesting - is it actually currently illegal to record a lecture in Florida?

Best summation of it I heard was someone who said that the grandparents who unsuccessfully tried to stop black kids attending white schools are now trying to stop their grandchildren from finding out about this.

Answers which probably aren't anywhere to be found, either.
Except ofcourse the science behind cognitive therapy finds it is extremely useful in helping with mental health. this aint a new therapy either. buddhism and stoicism is based around the concept of using mental thought to overcome mental ill health.

thats because poor mental health isnt just something that unluckily finds us like a virus or cancer. Its also partly to do with how we think about the world, ourselves and our experience. our mind has the power to overcome mental illness in most cases. Albeit in some people damage to certain parts of the brain can render this ability mute. But for most of us its very much there.

Except ofcourse the science behind cognitive therapy finds it is extremely useful in helping with mental health. this aint a new therapy either. buddhism and stoicism is based around the concept of using mental thought to overcome mental ill health.

thats because poor mental health isnt just something that unluckily finds us like a virus or cancer. Its also partly to do with how we think about the world, ourselves and our experience. our mind has the power to overcome mental illness in most cases. Albeit in some people damage to certain parts of the brain can render this ability mute. But for most of us its very much there.

Yeah, but a lot of mental health issues also stem from abuse / bullying etc. Our brain does have the power to overcome mental illness - to a point. It's like weight training for strong bones; if you break a bone, then exercise won't help in the short term, you need acute medical attention. But making them stronger once the worst is over is within one's own power. Same thing with mental illness.

Listen, it’s possible to criticise someone without trying to cancel them.

For fu** sake.
Critisize or vehemently oppose his point of view are two different things...Peterson has stirred up a truck load of controversy, particularly on the left who simply cannot stand him. They can't argue with him, so they would prefer to just cancel him instead of running around like a headless chook in frustration. The left have a tendency to prolong an argument rather than concede ground and they certainly do not entertain another opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back