News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

My mum has deltađź’”

She had a Telehealth appointment today because she has heart and chest pains and if it gets worse she will have to go to the hospital :( * this virus. She also can’t taste or smell.

My mum has deltađź’”

She had a Telehealth appointment today because she has heart and chest pains and if it gets worse she will have to go to the hospital :( fu** this virus. She also can’t taste or smell.

I hope they get her onto some of the new medicine that we recently approved to treat covid.

My mum has delta

She had a Telehealth appointment today because she has heart and chest pains and if it gets worse she will have to go to the hospital :( fu** this virus. She also can’t taste or smell.
That sucks. Sending you good vibes.

My bile rises as I’m asked to move my dying cancer patient out of ICU to make room for an unvaccinated man with Covid | Ranjana Srivastava | The Guardian

And so it begins. Every anti-vaxxer and apologist should hang their ******* heads in shame; except the shameless can not be shamed.

The bed is irrelevant, we have a surge capacity of up to 4,000 ICU beds and we only have 110 covid ICU patients, the problem has been the lack of nurses to service the beds, sadly, the state government had no contingency plans for the number of nurses that are unavailable due to having covid. It was good to see Dan invest $1.3b in 2020, but it was focused more on beds. We had also flown in 350 medical staff from overseas to help with the Delta wave, 90% of them were doctors.

Critical Care Nursing certificate is 1 year part time, anyone with general nursing experience could undertake it.

We really dropped the ball in terms of preparing for something like Omicron. NSW has had the advantage that they had significantly higher number of manned ICU beds prior to Delta. We had a totally inadequate number by comparison and we didn't do a whole lot to bridge that gap in a meaningful way other than spend a fortune on the beds and ventilators which we now can't utilise.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The bed is irrelevant, we have a surge capacity of up to 4,000 ICU beds and we only have 110 covid ICU patients, the problem has been the lack of nurses to service the beds, sadly, the state government had no contingency plans for the number of nurses that are unavailable due to having covid. It was good to see Dan invest $1.3b in 2020, but it was focused more on beds. We had also flown in 350 medical staff from overseas to help with the Delta wave, 90% of them were doctors.

Critical Care Nursing certificate is 1 year part time, anyone with general nursing experience could undertake it.

We really dropped the ball in terms of preparing for something like Omicron. NSW has had the advantage that they had significantly higher number of manned ICU beds prior to Delta. We had a totally inadequate number by comparison and we didn't do a whole lot to bridge that gap in a meaningful way other than spend a fortune on the beds and ventilators which we now can't utilise.
I am making the assumption that in this instance the bed/nurse are a package deal.

It was more to point out that she was asked to triage her patient out of care for a non vaccinated patient.

Has it been tested?

No idea, Ferbs. The pharmacy told me I could only get Pfizer or Moderna. I was going to choose Moderna. However, he stabbed me with Pfizer before I could even open my mouth and say “Can I have Moderna, please?”. I was expecting a couple of minutes of questions, etc. and checking my Medicare card. Not a bit of it. Quite impressive, in one way. The fact that everything went so swimmingly and I had zero side effects dictate that I’d say that, though. If I’d had a reaction, I’d be griping about them. Tas has mentioned that AZ can be a booster in certain circumstances. Depends on people’s situation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My mum has deltađź’”

Jeepers - all the best to you and your mum. Have you been tested?

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No idea, Ferbs. The pharmacy told me I could only get Pfizer or Moderna. I was going to choose Moderna. However, he stabbed me with Pfizer before I could even open my mouth and say “Can I have Moderna, please?”. I was expecting a couple of minutes of questions, etc. and checking my Medicare card. Not a bit of it. Quite impressive, in one way. The fact that everything went so swimmingly and I had zero side effects dictate that I’d say that, though. If I’d had a reaction, I’d be griping about them. Tas has mentioned that AZ can be a booster in certain circumstances. Depends on people’s situation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They alternate days because the vaccine has a shelf life. It really doesn’t matter which one it is.

Jeepers - all the best to you and your mum. Have you been tested?
We don’t have many rapids going around and we can’t get to a PCR testing site cause my dad is working (from home)

We don’t have many rapids going around and we can’t get to a PCR testing site cause my dad is working (from home)
Not too many at Childs Rd centre an hour or so ago. Probably only 30 cars.

I am making the assumption that in this instance the bed/nurse are a package deal.

Yeah, that is the current crux of the problem, the lack of nurses to care for patients due to so many getting covid.

It was more to point out that she was asked to triage her patient out of care for a non vaccinated patient.

Sure, people who chose not to vaccinate in a pandemic are morons and we would be in a better position if they did vaccinate. But, her cancer patient had untreatable cancer and was dying, if it was me i would have preferred an OD of painkiller to get it over with but we have some kind of neurosis when it comes to ending suffering. In essence, if the cancer patient had a chance at surviving he wouldn't have been moved out of ICU.

I know the crux of your argument and I agree with it in general but everything needs more nuance. What if the cancer patient was a smoker with lung cancer and the covid patient was someone who couldn't get vaccinated for medical reasons. It was unlikely that which happened but we can't always assume the covid patient was a self-inflicting moron and the cancer patient wasn't.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, that is the current crux of the problem, the lack of nurses to care for patients due to so many getting covid.

Sure, people who chose not to vaccinate in a pandemic are morons and we would be in a better position if they did vaccinate. But, her cancer patient had untreatable cancer and was dying, if it was me i would have preferred an OD of painkiller to get it over with but we have some kind of neurosis when it comes to ending suffering. In essence, if the cancer patient had a chance at surviving he wouldn't have been moved out of ICU.

I know the crux of your argument and I agree with it in general but everything needs more nuance. What if the cancer patient was a smoker with lung cancer and the covid patient was someone who couldn't get vaccinated for medical reasons. It was unlikely that which happened but we can't always assume the covid patient was a self-inflicting moron and the cancer patient wasn't.
The nuance is that if we take the story at face value, and that is all we have to go, then why should the cancer patient be removed in favour of a self inflicted and mostly preventable situation?

The treatment or otherwise (OD?) of the patient is between the doctor and the patient, and to a lesser degree the family. Making them change would have been devastating to them.

The argument against triage since this started is that who are doctors to decide who gets treated, and who doesn't; where are those people now that it was a covid unvaccinated person who fell onto the right side of the line?

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
My mum has deltađź’”

Oh no, thinking of you - let us know how she goes.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In Australia we currently have 2183 fully staffed ICU beds.

Right now we have 349 patients in ICU

We have 349 patients in icu from covid. I just looked.

What is the total number? My cousin had a heart attack on the 29th but had to wait a week to get a triple bypass, I have no idea if he had to wait that long because of the lack of beds or if that’s just the way it goes.

ICU isn’t just for covid, in fact something like covid was never factored into the amount of beds needed, so those 349 covid patients in icu are over what the estimated necessary icu beds are.

It’s not like we can just click our fingers and have more icu beds because those beds need doctors and nurses.

How people can’t understand this after 2 years is beyond me.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What is the total number? My cousin had a heart attack on the 29th but had to wait a week to get a triple bypass, I have no idea if he had to wait that long because of the lack of beds or if that’s just the way it goes.

ICU isn’t just for covid, in fact something like covid was never factored into the amount of beds needed, so those 349 covid patients in icu are over what the estimated necessary icu beds are.

It’s not like we can just click our fingers and have more icu beds because those beds need doctors and nurses.

My 17 year old son is a bout to start his Diploma of Nursing at Victoria Uni in a few weeks. As I told him, he will never be unemployed and will always be learning.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

My dad spent a couple of weeks in ICU two years ago. Holy s**t, the people that work in there are unbelievable. I have total respect for doctors and nurses, etc, but those in ICU are next level.

Back