News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

It can be quite humerous to see what tabs some people have when they share their screens on Teams at work. You do get the occasional blooper. Best I ever saw was when one of my mates did a presentation on a theatre screen in a work "town hall" meeting with an audience of maybe 500 people plus a lot of big knobs. An email pop-up came up on his screen while he was talking so he didn't notice... It went something like "hey campaigner - wanna catch up for some beers tonight?"

The theatrette audience cracked up and for a few seconds he didn't have a dam clue what everybody was laughing at.

All the same, that language was used every day in meetings and general corridor talk so not too many were phased by it.
Someone posted a screenshot of their SuperCoach team on BF a few years back. The other tabs included P*rnhub, and something called "Hot Young Sl*ts in Launceston".

My dad spent a couple of weeks in ICU two years ago. Holy sh*t, the people that work in there are unbelievable. I have total respect for doctors and nurses, etc, but those in ICU are next level.
Same here, my grandma on my dads side was always in and out of hospital. And it was so eerie

The nuance is that if we take the story at face value, and that is all we have to go, then why should the cancer patient be removed in favour of a self inflicted and mostly preventable situation?

The cancer patient wasn't removed, she died quickly regardless of remaining in ICU. We don't know the fate of the covid patient.

The treatment or otherwise (OD?) of the patient is between the doctor and the patient, and to a lesser degree the family. Making them change would have been devastating to them.

The argument against triage since this started is that who are doctors to decide who gets treated, and who doesn't; where are those people now that it was a covid unvaccinated person who fell onto the right side of the line?

In Australia they can't deny care. If this lady said yes, it is okay to move her patient the family could have said no, could have demanded a second opinion, got their family doctor involved, a lawyer. Pre-covid the Alfred tried to discharge my mum after they operated on her i think a day later, she couldn't get out bed on her own or change her clothes. Family said i don't think so, anyway, she remained there for another month and then went into respite somewhere else for more than 6 months, they were gobsmacked they tried to discharge her. Systems are impersonal and lack nuance as well. We really didn't have to fight the hospital to provide care, we just had to disagree with what they wanted to do.

We have a charter of health care rights and it is important people know their rights. It is a bit different in an emergency, they will focus on people who have the highest chance of survival. I am not sure if they could have forced the patient out of ICU in that scenario, I don't really know the legislation around emergency powers, etc.

I think it is silly for anyone to not be vaccinated, I can understand the reluctance of parents to not vaccinate young children who do not have health issues, but the vast majority of people in hospital contributed to them being in hospital. Are we going to shame fat people, even vaccinated ones, because they are now going into ICU for covid? It is a slippery slope being on the soap box judging people.

The reality is we ran our health care system as a minimum effort endeavour for a long period of time, it didn't really have scope to handle a pandemic, not one that is now dragging into it's third year.

We have 349 patients in icu from covid. I just looked.

What is the total number? My cousin had a heart attack on the 29th but had to wait a week to get a triple bypass, I have no idea if he had to wait that long because of the lack of beds or if that’s just the way it goes.

ICU isn’t just for covid, in fact something like covid was never factored into the amount of beds needed, so those 349 covid patients in icu are over what the estimated necessary icu beds are.

It’s not like we can just click our fingers and have more icu beds because those beds need doctors and nurses.

How people can’t understand this after 2 years is beyond me.

Correct you are.
I fooked up by not thoroughly reading at icu data

Effective Monday, January 31, double dose proof of vaccination for those aged 16 and older will be required across WA for the following places:

Public and private hospitals, and aged care facilities;

All hospitality venues including restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs, clubs, taverns, night clubs and dine-in fast food (roadhouses, service stations and takeaway is exempt);

Indoor entertainment venues, including play centres, gaming and gambling, theatres, concert halls, museums, cinemas and live music venues;

Bottle shops;

The entire Crown Perth complex;

Major stadiums;

Gyms, fitness centres and health studios;

Amusement parks and the zoo; and

Music festivals and large events with more than 500 people, unless exempt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is all so ludicrous that it’s got me thinking that it will only end in Novak coming back from two sets down in the final against Kyrgios. Nick loses his temper, smashes and throws his racket, piercing Novak’s heart in the process. Thus, we have our Franz Ferdinand moment for WW3. The Serbians have form here. 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh s**t. You're right.

Interesting article for the "let it rip" crowd.

Interesting article for the "let it rip" crowd.

Don't wanna toot my own horn but I did call this earlier in the thread (or in the earlier iteration of this thread).

Thanks guys for all your messages it means a lot!

Lost your chance to rake in a some cash from everyone wanting to help and buy some new shoes. :stern look

Lost your chance to rake in a some cash from everyone wanting to help and buy some new shoes. :stern look
Good point, guys I am mega poor plz donate to me or I will publicly spank you :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back