The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Science says so
Wasn't aware science had a spokesman.

Over the last two years I've listened to scientists with wildly different viewpoints, it's good that they've all come to an agreement.

Three members of my family, all tested positive on LFT last September, none with any symptoms. All isolated from school/work as a result. I missed three football matches which I would have gone to (while positive) without the tests.

I've been ill for the past few weeks, but have been able to go into work because I'm consistently testing negative on LFT.

Kids do a LFT twice a week to stop infections at school, you need a passport (useless) or negative LFT to get into a football match.

Widespread testing has been one of the best things to happen in the UK.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Wasn't aware science had a spokesman.

Over the last two years I've listened to scientists with wildly different viewpoints, it's good that they've all come to an agreement.

Three members of my family, all tested positive on LFT last September, none with any symptoms. All isolated from school/work as a result. I missed three football matches which I would have gone to (while positive) without the tests.

I've been ill for the past few weeks, but have been able to go into work because I'm consistently testing negative on LFT.

Kids do a LFT twice a week to stop infections at school, you need a passport (useless) or negative LFT to get into a football match.

Widespread testing has been one of the best things to happen in the UK.
I agree with the use of LFTs for people with symptoms as a first pass given the current lack of PCR testing world wide (A friend of mine in Sydney had similar symptoms around christmas the next PCR test date was the 3rd of January). However from what I have read it's less likely to catch asymptomatic people than symptomatic people and we already know that it misses around 1/3 actual cases. There's also a lack of supply with RAT so using for close contacts rather than "I'm gonna go to the shops, better use an LFT" is the preferred scenario. I know of people who are doing 2 a day, your viral load isn't going to change that significantly...

I agree with the use of LFTs for people with symptoms as a first pass given the current lack of PCR testing world wide (A friend of mine in Sydney had similar symptoms around christmas the next PCR test date was the 3rd of January). However from what I have read it's less likely to catch asymptomatic people than symptomatic people and we already know that it misses around 1/3 actual cases. There's also a lack of supply with RAT so using for close contacts rather than "I'm gonna go to the shops, better use an LFT" is the preferred scenario. I know of people who are doing 2 a day, your viral load isn't going to change that significantly...

No one says "I'm going to the shops, better use an LFT" because of how few tests there are.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
How's this Boris stuff? The man looked like he was in the naughty corner when he was in parliament today lol.

And how does he not think what he was doing is a party? Moron lol
Because he's an elitist Tory. The old born to rule mentality makes him think he's doing the right thing. Problem is Labour over there can't make any gains despite all this s**t that he keeps finding himself in so he stays around and the next election is over 2 years away thanks to 5 year fixed term limits.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Wow, such a big difference to here …much like vaccine rollout. Feds are disorganised mess here.
They haven't got much right over here but they nailed this aspect of it. The NHS app records your negative tests and vaccination history and you can generate a Covid-Pass through the app which you use to get into events (where required).

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Because he's an elitist Tory. The old born to rule mentality makes him think he's doing the right thing. Problem is Labour over there can't make any gains despite all this sh*t that he keeps finding himself in so he stays around and the next election is over 2 years away thanks to 5 year fixed term limits.
He won't be around much longer. A vote of no confidence is close. One of Javid, Truss or Sunak to take over.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There isn't much of a shortage of LFT's if your government is organised and willing to pay for them. Any shortages over here have been very brief. Talking of PCR's, the government will be getting rid of free PCR tests soon as Omnicron does * all in most cases and we are getting back to normal soon. I'm going for a fit to fly PCR tomorrow. £100 a pop. The government will also be reducing the isolation period to 5 days.

There isn't much of a shortage of LFT's if your government is organised and willing to pay for them. Any shortages over here have been very brief. Talking of PCR's, the government will be getting rid of free PCR tests soon as Omnicron does fu** all in most cases and we are getting back to normal soon. I'm going for a fit to fly PCR tomorrow. £100 a pop. The government will also be reducing the isolation period to 5 days.

Most Omicron cases over here have made people pretty sick. My sister was out for close to a week because of it.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Because he's an elitist Tory. The old born to rule mentality makes him think he's doing the right thing. Problem is Labour over there can't make any gains despite all this sh*t that he keeps finding himself in so he stays around and the next election is over 2 years away thanks to 5 year fixed term limits.
He just looked like a naughty little schoolboy.

The opposition destroyed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Most Omicron cases over here have made people pretty sick. My sister was out for close to a week because of it.
Interesting. I do wonder if countries that adopted a Covid zero policy have been worse affected by Omicron. I know quite a few people who have had it and most were asymptomatic including one poor bugger who tested positive on Christmas Eve and spent the Christmas period alone as a result.

Interesting. I do wonder if countries that adopted a Covid zero policy have been worse affected by Omicron. I know quite a few people who have had it and most were asymptomatic including one poor bugger who tested positive on Christmas Eve and spent the Christmas period alone as a result.

Yeah I dunno what the right approach to it all was because you're right I suspect we're getting smashed harder because of the way we approached the first wave.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Yes because what the country needs is another banker/unscrupulous trader in charge.
Ha! So you don't like Bankers then. That has nothing to do with the fact that both men got to the top of their industry before moving into politics.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
How's this Boris stuff? The man looked like he was in the naughty corner when he was in parliament today lol.

And how does he not think what he was doing is a party? Moron lol
IMG-20220113-WA0006.jpg

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ha! So you don't like Bankers then. That has nothing to do with the fact that both men got to the top of their industry before moving into politics.
Top of their industry doesn't mean they are any good and being a politician. Just good at screwing people over.. oh wait I see your point

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Top of their industry doesn't mean they are any good and being a politician. Just good at screwing people over.. oh wait I see your point
It's tough to become PM without first becoming a politician. Sunak has a First from Oxford and an MBA from Stanford. Is that good enough for you?

Reckon the accuracy is much higher than that. As for lack of supply, never fear. I'm putting a suitcase together and registering my ebay.com.au store as we speak.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It's tough to become PM without first becoming a politician. Sunak has a First from Oxford and an MBA from Stanford. Is that good enough for you?
I mean Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard, degrees don't necessarily mean a huge amount in some fields.

Back