Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Unfortunately Omicron it is not always mild. And 100k cases over east is causing more issues than lockdowns.

Yes some get Omicron as mild case, if your not vaccinated it won't be as mild. I know people who had omicron and it was horrible, not mild at all, they recovered and were double vaxed. It is still much more virulent than the common cold. Long Covid is still as issue.
People are still getting Delta in NSW and Victoria, which is causing most of the hospitalisations.

People are still getting Delta in NSW and Victoria, which is causing most of the hospitalisations.
This period of changeover is going to be extended by isolating people, but it will end soon enough as all the possible exposure points are running at 0.1x chance of delta. The avenues for delta spread are running out gradually.

The risk is isolating communities when they have a delta infection, that just makes sure all the cases there will be delta.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
when i compare what both have achieved over the past few decades and where theyve come from i think the answers pretty obvious. i believe chinas system allows for longer term thinking and while australia has arguably stagnated in the past decade china has come through leaps and bounds and continues to invest into the rest of the world as well

results > vague ideas of 'freedom' imo

Outside of the question of whether putting up with a deeply authoritarian government is worthwhile if it makes you richer* the PRC's not even the best example of a Chinese economic development model. Compare the growth in Taiwan's economy since the 1950s, noting Taiwan democratised in the late 1980s.

1642067431228.png

If you want a model for rapid economic development I'd rather look at what Taiwan did right. And the best part is that their economic model isn't incompatible with freedom, so you don't even have to choose.

*as an aside a few people on previous pages noted the praise Hitler and Fascism received in the 1930s from various world leaders. It's worth noting the basis for most of that praise was for Germany's economic and national turnaround under Nazism, going from a nation in deep economic crisis to once again being a major European power. I wonder if the PRC apologist crowd believe they would have made the same "results > vague ideas of 'freedom' imo" about Germany had they lived in the late 1930s as well.

Really? When the vaccine offers more protection against Delta vs Omicron? Source?
Yes. About a week ago they said delta was responsible for 74% of patients in ICU while omicron was the variant of 80% of infections.

It's quite a bit of a turnaround variant to variant.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes. About a week ago they said delta was responsible for 74% of patients in ICU while omicron was the variant of 80% of infections.

It's quite a bit of a turnaround variant to variant.
Don’t forget thought that there’s at least a 2-3 week lag from getting Covid to ending up in icu.

but it is true that delta is more likely to result in serious illness.

Mags98

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Outside of the question of whether putting up with a deeply authoritarian government is worthwhile if it makes you richer* the PRC's not even the best example of a Chinese economic development model. Compare the growth in Taiwan's economy since the 1950s, noting Taiwan democratised in the late 1980s.

View attachment 1310400

If you want a model for rapid economic development I'd rather look at what Taiwan did right. And the best part is that their economic model isn't incompatible with freedom, so you don't even have to choose.

*as an aside a few people on previous pages noted the praise Hitler and Fascism received in the 1930s from various world leaders. It's worth noting the basis for most of that praise was for Germany's economic and national turnaround under Nazism, going from a nation in deep economic crisis to once again being a major European power. I wonder if the PRC apologist crowd believe they would have made the same "results > vague ideas of 'freedom' imo" about Germany had they lived in the late 1930s as well.
welp guess this one chart of GDP per capita means taiwan certainly has a better economy, let us forego any context surrounding that

if you genuinely believe that china and nazi germany are comparable than i implore you to join the war effort when the time comes

China is closer to Stalin's USSR in that you're welcome to have any opinion you like but if you express that opinion you win an all expenses paid trip to a remote part of the country to hang out in a special winner facility that is so lovely some people choose to never return from it.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
China is closer to Stalin's USSR in that you're welcome to have any opinion you like but if you express that opinion you win an all expenses paid trip to a remote part of the country to hang out in a special winner facility that is so lovely some people choose to never return from it.

Armenian Radio was asked: "Is it true that conditions in our labor camps are excellent?" Armenian Radio answers: "It is true. Five years ago a listener of ours raised the same question and was sent to one, reportedly to investigate the issue. He hasn't returned yet; we are told that he liked it there."

Wray27

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd argue that the overwhelming majority of diseases that have been relegated to the list of those not posing a problem to society have been due to natural immunity and viral evolution. You're seeing it play out before your eyes right now.

And the Earth is flat. It's 70% water and almost none of it is carbonated. *thank you Cesoir
Based on what evidence do base you this argument?

Wray27

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
In order for a new variant to take over the majority of cases it will need to be easier to transmit between people and/or less likely to be noticed when contagious so that external controls don't result it the end of it's propagation.

That means we need it to be about the most infectious disease ever and or with such low level of symptoms or no symptoms that cases aren't identified and isolated. The data on reinfection is extremely low numbers of people are infected a second time, as in under 1% based off the November 2021 data - so a new variant is trying to take a foothold in a system where omicron already has a foothold and people who have caught one most likely won't catch the other.

That's why people like Dr Coatsworth are referring to it as the end of the pandemic.

It will become something that cycles around the world with the usual flus and colds until it is unable to gain new infections faster than it has infections ending the life cycle.
Evidence for this argument Please?

Based on what evidence do base you this argument?

Most of the water on the planet is salty, and that takes the place of CO2 in the water - which makes it flat. The surface of the Earth is mostly that water, therefore the Earth is flat.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Barry Urban has found a running mate at last

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
I will be running in the next state election.

Watch this space.
Not sure if you're serious, but if you are - good on you!

There's a lot of people who abuse pollies (and umpires), but don't have the balls and/or ability to give it a crack themselves. Good luck!

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
with 14 day self-isolation currently required for customers/staff in hot spots/close contacts, and the speed at which massage parlour customers and omicron gets around, this state, mines, work places, restaurants, cafes, pubs, sporting clubs, gyms, etc. will be effectively shutdown within about 4 weeks. At least during lockdowns past I could go to the beach or river for a surf. Don't think we can leave the house under self-isolation requirements. Going to be brutal.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
with 14 day self-isolation currently required for customers/staff in hot spots/close contacts, and the speed at which massage parlour customers and omicron gets around, this state, mines, work places, restaurants, cafes, pubs, sporting clubs, gyms, etc. will be effectively shutdown within about 4 weeks. At least during lockdowns past I could go to the beach or river for a surf. Don't think we can leave the house under self-isolation requirements. Going to be brutal.

Don't think it's gonna be 14 days for long, will for sure be smaller by the time we open Feb 5th

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
E37FE00B-3203-4EC6-960D-4F980F15FAC7.gif

Back