Coach Grumpy

Remove this Banner Ad

T20 World Cup was a decent achievement because we have generally sucked at T20 but we played our best players this time around which helped. The Ashes I was always expecting 5-0 or a dominate series so tbh they haven't done anything great yet, it wouldn't surprise me if we lose all 3 series against Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.

Trevor Bayliss used his pre-test column in the UK's Daily Mail to distance himself from speculation linking him with Justin Langer's job.

''I see a couple of English papers have suggested I might be a candidate to become Australia coach at some point, but I can honestly say that’s the first I’ve heard about it. There’s a bloke in Justin Langer who is still very much in the job, and seems to be going pretty well, to say the least, in winning the T20 World Cup and Ashes in the last few months.''

it's all about the cattle at your disposal and the harmony/team environment created in the dressing room.

let's face it - back in the day john buchanan didn't have to do much.

would love someone like a ponting who comes from a breeding ground of success or a steve waugh who was ruthless, but i'm not sure it matters too much.
i just want it to be someone from our own backyard as we have enough resources and the mickey arthur experience wasn't great.

many ex players seem to jump in the comm box these days.

Trevor Bayliss used his pre-test column in the UK's Daily Mail to distance himself from speculation linking him with Justin Langer's job.

''I see a couple of English papers have suggested I might be a candidate to become Australia coach at some point, but I can honestly say that’s the first I’ve heard about it. There’s a bloke in Justin Langer who is still very much in the job, and seems to be going pretty well, to say the least, in winning the T20 World Cup and Ashes in the last few months.''

Easy statement for him to make given he's got leak-happy Cricket Australia officials and compliant journos doing his work for him.

It would take a ridiculous offer to get Ponting as coach based off what he's said in the past.
Botham has been saying that England will offer the coaching job to Ponting. Don't know whether it's wishful thinking, spurred by a few drinks or if it is serious news.

Surely if there's this many question marks you just move him on, what's actually gained by keeping him on?

The World T20 win was unexpected and I think he deserves credit for that, but winning an Ashes at home against a poor England Team who weren't mentally all there due to a long period of bubble doesn't exactly take a genius coach you wouldn't think.

If Cummins doesn't want him, he should retire with dignity having won a World T20 and contributing towards our first Ashes retention in nearly 20 years.

Asking Justin Langer to re-apply for the job is stupid. He's been the coach for basically 4 years - entailing two Ashes series, two World Cups and two series against India. There's more than enough sample size to form an opinion of his long term suitability for the role. Either extent his contract or don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But he hasn't been the coach for the past few months. It's abundantly clear through the reporting that he was reduced to a figurehead when Jeff Vaughan & Michael Di Venuto joined the set-up along with McDonald. It's not a matter of extending his contract because "figurehead coach" is clearly not something that can be extended. It's a matter of whether CA is comfortable returning Langer as an actual head coach

But he hasn't been the coach for the past few months. It's abundantly clear through the reporting that he was reduced to a figurehead when Jeff Vaughan & Michael Di Venuto joined the set-up along with McDonald. It's not a matter of extending his contract because "figurehead coach" is clearly not something that can be extended. It's a matter of whether CA is comfortable returning Langer as an actual head coach

No matter how many times we say this some here just choose to ignore it and act like langer was the reason we won the ashes, who do people think has been leaking these stories last few weeks about how vital the assistants have been to recent success and how langer has been reduced to a minor role in that time?

Senior player like cummins want a new coach and they clearly dont want langer so why make a 28 year old skipper unhappy? they should give cummins the support staff he wants we did it with mark taylor when he wanted bobby simpson out we should do it here, langer seems a my way or the highway coach who needs to be the clear boss of the side but that should be the skippers job not the coach.

The way this is playing out us making CA look very unprofessional. They obviously do not want Langer and are now just stringing things in for a slow ugly death being played out in the media Langer does not deserve this. His record speaks for itself. The lack of support from Cummins is deafening so I thinks it's all over. Time will tell as to whether crickets equivalent of dumping a grand final coach is the way to go.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely if there's this many question marks you just move him on, what's actually gained by keeping him on?

The World T20 win was unexpected and I think he deserves credit for that, but winning an Ashes at home against a poor England Team who weren't mentally all there due to a long period of bubble doesn't exactly take a genius coach you wouldn't think.

If Cummins doesn't want him, he should retire with dignity having won a World T20 and contributing towards our first Ashes retention in nearly 20 years.
Langer's results speak for themselves - on paper he deserves an extension. He didn't just bash up a weak English team in Australia, he also won it in England. Don't underestimate that.

Giving players the ability to have this much of a say in the coach rings alarm bells. This isn't an IT Company, it is elite sporting. Players not liking to being held to elite standards is never a good thing. Langer would be appear to be doing that though it would seem rubbing a few players up.

Whatever will be will be, but the players pushing Langer out want to make damn sure they don't lose badly under a new coach. Or serious questions would be asked.

Langer's results speak for themselves - on paper he deserves an extension. He didn't just bash up a weak English team in Australia, he also won it in England. Don't underestimate that.

1) the weakest batting lineup England have even taken to Australia certainly helped
2) We only "won" (and i mean drew) in England because Smith made all our runs. He looks to be fading force at the moment so debatable if Langer even helped on that

The way this is playing out us making CA look very unprofessional. They obviously do not want Langer and are now just stringing things in for a slow ugly death being played out in the media Langer does not deserve this. His record speaks for itself. The lack of support from Cummins is deafening so I thinks it's all over. Time will tell as to whether crickets equivalent of dumping a grand final coach is the way to go.

He has lost the players, that much is clear. You'd hope the players have someone else in mind otherwise why are they refusing to back Langer?

Your 100% right - all Cummins needs to do is come out and say the team want Langer and he'll get a contract. Either Cummins doesn't know this or he is deliberately holding back because he doesn't like Langer.

I get the sense Langer likes to be autocratic and Cummins wants to be more collaborative.

Giving players the ability to have this much of a say in the coach rings alarm bells. This isn't an IT Company, it is elite sporting. Players not liking to being held to elite standards is never a good thing. Langer would be appear to be doing that though it would seem rubbing a few players up.

Whatever will be will be, but the players pushing Langer out want to make damn sure they don't lose badly under a new coach. Or serious questions would be asked.

good post

1) the weakest batting lineup England have even taken to Australia certainly helped
2) We only "won" (and i mean drew) in England because Smith made all our runs. He looks to be fading force at the moment so debatable if Langer even helped on that
That's a tad unfair IMO.

It's historically been difficult to win/retain the Ashes away from home.
You're saying we did it because Smith made all of our runs.
I think if we had a better captain we win 3-1.
Hell, even if we had a decent opening bat we probably win.

Yes, England were poor.
But you're just giving the coach no credit.

When we lose, it's his fault.
When we win, it's because of one guy or the opposition was poor.

I'm not fussed whether Langer goes or stays TBH, but a bit of balance would be good.

If it's true that CA told him he might have to reapply for his job, it's insulting,

Last edited:
He has lost the players, that much is clear. You'd hope the players have someone else in mind otherwise why are they refusing to back Langer?

Your 100% right - all Cummins needs to do is come out and say the team want Langer and he'll get a contract. Either Cummins doesn't know this or he is deliberately holding back because he doesn't like Langer.

I get the sense Langer likes to be autocratic and Cummins wants to be more collaborative.

Its not the coaches role to get on with all the players its the coaches role to get them playing to the best of there ability and win games

Warney hated Buchanan for years but so what he still performed to a great level and we won games

If you want a coach who gets on well with the players look at Boof lehmann...great bloke but looked what happened when he was too cosy with the players...sandpaper gate

This talk about Langer is crap...its all about jobs for the boys and the NSW mafia want F88kwit bayliss to coach because he's good mates with cummins

The facts are Langer took charge of the Australian cricket team after one of our lowest periods in our history sandpaper gate and had to rebuild the team after losing our two senior players smith and warner (Both nsw players who played a major role in sandpapergate) ... Retained the Ashes in England won the T20 world Cup lost the Captain before the Ashes began and then regained the Ashes 4 nil

Does he have flaws yes but who doesn't........was told he was too intense by the players during the Indian series.......took that on board and the feedback from the players has been good

Cricket Australia are F7kkwits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back