Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
As someone else has said, Docherty doesn’t have to be AA to improve on last season. His first half of the season was actually quite good, before dropping away considerably. I’m more optimistic than most regarding his future I guess.

Williams was one of the most damaging hbf in the league not so long ago. Don’t particularly agree that he’s best described as “flakey” perhaps a little “injury prone” in the last few seasons is more apt.

Martin is flakey I agree, but his output over the last two seasons is still below what he is capable of, even compared to his GC days. Similar to McGovern in the sense that he just hasn’t had a good run at it, injury wise. More than capable enough however.
Re Doc, everyone hopes he is able to get back to 20+ games of footy in a season.

Williams, he had one standout season, in 2019, that hasn't been the norm.

Martin and McGovern are similar, blokes who just never put it together. Recruited on the promise of the odd good game...

Compare their careers to Hewett. Hewett has multiple top5 BnF finishes and every season bar 1 played 20+ games...you should expect him to be a quality contributor, finally bringing in a quality mature player!

When recruit average injury prone blokes, ain't surprising that they produce average injury interrupted seasons!!

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Re Doc, everyone hopes he is able to get back to 20+ games of footy in a season.

Martin and McGovern are similar, blokes who just never put it together. Recruited on the promise of the odd good game...

Compare their careers to Hewett. Hewett has multiple top5 BnF finishes and every season bar 1 played 20+ games...you should expect him to be a quality contributor, finally bringing in a quality mature player!

When recruit average injury prone blokes, ain't surprising that they produce average injury interrupted seasons!!

Recruit/draft, it plays out similar for all sides, with some players. Young, Krakouer, Ceglar, Lynch, Russell, Karnezis, White, Armstrong, Sharenberg, Freeman, Aish, Murray, Dunn, Wells.

Didn't stop the Pies from reaching a GF in 2018

Benga

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Disagree regarding Williams.

Like I said, even when you compare the output of Martin at gc vs Carlton, it’s well down.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Recruit/draft, it plays out similar for all sides, with some players. Young, Krakouer, Ceglar, Lynch, Russell, Karnezis, White, Armstrong, Sharenberg, Freeman, Aish, Murray, Dunn, Wells.

Didn't stop the Pies from reaching a GF in 2018

Why do you do that? Try and turn the point around onto the posters club they support? Is it some sort of coping mechanism because the point that doppelganger made wasn't given the reply it deserved.

I touched on it before but Carlton has recruited role players from other clubs to be thee players at Ikon park. Zac Williams was a role player, the 6th in line in the Giants midfield. Carlton recruiting him on the proviso he could become the #3 guy there now. Backfired and wondered why it didn't. That type of scenario has played out multiple times. McGovern was the fourth tall at Adelaide, recruited to be the #2 / #3 guy and failed (not through all his own fault - injuries, form etc).

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Why do you do that? Try and turn the point around onto the posters club they support? Is it some sort of coping mechanism because the point that doppelganger made wasn't given the reply it deserved.

I touched on it before but Carlton has recruited role players from other clubs to be thee players at Ikon park. Zac Williams was a role player, the 6th in line in the Giants midfield. Carlton recruiting him on the proviso he could become the #3 guy there now. Backfired and wondered why it didn't. That type of scenario has played out multiple times. McGovern was the fourth tall at Adelaide, recruited to be the #2 / #3 guy and failed (not through all his own fault - injuries, form etc).

I can highlight similar situations for all clubs, it's not unique to any club, nor does it hamper them from going deep into finals

Backfired and failed? Have they retired?

Even if it doesn't play out successfully for a couple of players, it won't hold the team back from improving output, hence highlighting similar situations at othe clubs

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Carlton fans will be very happy with George Hewett.

Nothing flashy but can seriously play the game. Likely to slowly but surely become a fan and coach fave...

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can highlight similar situations for all clubs, it's not unique to any club, nor does it hamper them from going deep into finals

Even if it doesn't play out successfully for a couple of players, it won't hold the team back from improving output, hence highlighting similar situations at othe clubs

I feel you completely missed my point

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Saw an eye opening stat the other day where half of Carlton’s list started at other clubs , really a clear outlier compared to most other clubs which seem to be getting more draft focused than less

Hard to say if it matters at all but interesting to see how it works out for them

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Carlton have a ton of players from other clubs but I don’t see it as overly negative thing.

Especially the likes of Plowman, Martin, Setterfield, Saad, McGovern, Williams, Hewett, Docherty, Kennedy, Cerra and Marchbank who all would have been sought after by other clubs. If anything those names means Carlton deserves a tick for at least attracting talent.

The number of fringe guys is a symptom of their shallow list and seemingly poor ability to find role players with late draft picks. That being said their aren’t as many of these guys on their list as there used to be (Fogarty, Newnes, McDonald, Young, Newman).

What’s disappointing is the outcomes from the sought after guys. I’d say so far all of McGovern, Martin, Setterfield, Marchbank, Williams and Kennedy have significantly underperformed expectations.

They also outside of maybe Pittonet haven’t really grabbed a guy cheaply and turned them into a valuable contributor.

Overall I don’t really see where you get the players as the problem as long you have the requisite talent on the list

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I feel you completely missed my point

Didn't miss the point at all. People seem to be forecasting a scenario that is only relevant to one club, when it effects all clubs

You have also mentioned certain Carlton players that have been underperforming, like it is only relevant for us.

Shiel recruited on a sizable contract, high draft picks, injured most of last year and really hasn't delivered on his contract or the value you gave up

Stinger inconsistent apart from last year

Smith injured most of 2019

Did it stop you from making finals, no

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Didn't miss the point at all. People seem to be forecasting a scenario that is only relevant to one club, when it effects all clubs

You have also mentioned certain Carlton players that have been underperforming, like it is only relevant for us.

Shiel recruited on a sizable contract, high draft picks, injured most of last year and really hasn't delivered on his contract or the value you gave up

Stinger inconsistent apart from last year

Smith injured most of 2019

Did it stop you from making finals, no

Yep, still missed the point :thumbsu:

Carlton are heavily overpaying for minimal return.

Any Essendon, let alone AFL supporter will tell you that Essendon overpaid for Shiel so happy for you to attempt to throw that one in my face. We ended up paying one first and one second (yeah, was two firsts but one ended up being Caldwell whom we paid a second for 18 months later anyways).

The trade / free agency value we've paid has us significantly in the +.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, still missed the point :thumbsu:

Carlton are heavily overpaying for minimal return.

Any Essendon, let alone AFL supporter will tell you that Essendon overpaid for Shiel so happy for you to attempt to throw that one in my face. We ended up paying one first and one second (yeah, was two firsts but one ended up being Caldwell whom we paid a second for 18 months later anyways).

The trade / free agency value we've paid has us significantly in the +.

Yet we have paid the total of 2 x 2nd rounders for Hewett, Martin, McGovern and Williams

Am I still missing the point

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Only reason I say us over Essendon is our KPP Essendons is still raw or non existent. Charlie Curnow makes McKays job even easier too

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Meanwhile, the sum of the total parts isn't nearly what you would have hoped for

So we are shifting the discussion from what we paid for 4 players to a team's overall output

You must have a short memory if you have forgotten your 2020 season and I doubt anyone would have predicted you making finals a year later

One is factual, the other is opinion

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So we are shifting the discussion from what we paid for 4 players to a team's overall output

You must have a short memory if you have forgotten your 2020 season and I doubt anyone would have predicted you making finals a year later

One is factual, the other is opinion
That was where the initial discussion was heading so I cut the middle jibe you were no doubt going to make (re Shiel) and you still wanted to make a dig.

That's ok. Ladder from last year as much as you want to say it doesn't says we finished above Carlton with a much better percentage. That is a fact if you wish to keep dealing in them.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
That was where the initial discussion was heading so I cut the middle jibe you were no doubt going to make (re Shiel) and you still wanted to make a dig.

That's ok. Ladder from last year as much as you want to say it doesn't says we finished above Carlton with a much better percentage. That is a fact if you wish to keep dealing in them.

Now who is missing the point

After finishing bottom 6 in 2020, giving up multiple highish picks for Shiel, Smith, Stringer, the view would have been:

"Meanwhile, the sum of the total parts isn't nearly what you would have hoped for"

But a year later you still made finals

Not having a dig, so stop being so defensive. I am pointing out that things aren't as bad or good compared to reality

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Now who is missing the point

After finishing bottom 6 in 2020, giving up multiple highish picks for Shiel, Smith, Stringer, the view would have been:

"Meanwhile, the sum of the total parts isn't nearly what you would have hoped for"

But a year later you still made finals

Not having a dig, so stop being so defensive. I am pointing out that things aren't as bad or good compared to reality

The players we have brought in (bar the price we probably paid for Shiel at the time) has not been the problem from the get go.

Carlton have overpaid for very little return. That has been my point all along which you haven't realised.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The players we have brought in (bar the price we probably paid for Shiel at the time) has not been the problem from the get go.

Carlton have overpaid for very little return. That has been my point all along which you haven't realised.

Already pointed out what we have paid for 4 players, 2 x 2nd rounders isn't overpaying

And at the end of 2020, what you paid for Shiel, Smith, Stringer, would have been deemed as overpaying compared to your team's output

Unfortunately, the above is unrefuttable

But the point is, in your case and for all sides, things can/do change quickly

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Already pointed out what we have paid for 4 players, 2 x 2nd rounders isn't overpaying

And at the end of 2020, what you paid for Shiel, Smith, Stringer, would have been deemed as overpaying compared to your team's output

Unfortunately, the above is unrefuttable

But the point is, in your case and for all sides, things can/do change quickly

Yep, still missing the point/

The price that Carlton paid for Martin (salary), Williams (salary), Saad (pick 8) etc is staggering considering what the market value is / was for those types of players.

Martin is a nice player, a cream on top not a go and get first type.

The players that Essendon have brought in, in accordance to what we paid for them has been a decent return. Bar Shiel whom in hindsight we paid 1 x first and 1 x second for anyway has been ok.

Essendon is ahead of Carlton. The Blues may have as good, if not better top end talents but the depth across the Bombers list is much deeper hence the much stronger ladder position. 2022 will see a more pronounced and accurate indication of where each team is at.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, still missing the point/

The price that Carlton paid for Martin (salary), Williams (salary), Saad (pick 8) etc is staggering considering what the market value is / was for those types of players.

Martin is a nice player, a cream on top not a go and get first type.

The players that Essendon have brought in, in accordance to what we paid for them has been a decent return. Bar Shiel whom in hindsight we paid 1 x first and 1 x second for anyway has been ok.

Essendon is ahead of Carlton. The Blues may have as good, if not better top end talents but the depth across the Bombers list is much deeper hence the much stronger ladder position. 2022 will see a more pronounced and accurate indication of where each team is at.

So now you want to include Saad? I thought the discussion was Williams, Martin, McGovern

Already covered salary cap, you can spend whatever you want on any player as long as it fits your cap, we aren't the Pies, so we won't fire sale players we spent 3 top 10 picks on

We gave up 2 x 2nd rounders for Williams, Martin, McGovern and didn't finish bottom 6 in 2021

You gave up considerably more for Shiel, Smith, Stringer and finished bottom 6 in 2020. But didn't stop you making finals a year later

Get the point, yet?

Now, you have made a prediction where you will finish this year, top 4, and Carlton no more than 10 wins. Look forward to reviewing that with you end of year

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So now you want to include Saad? I thought the discussion was Williams, Martin, McGovern

Already covered salary cap, you can spend whatever you want on any player as long as it fits your cap, we aren't the Pies, so we won't fire sale players we spent 3 top 10 picks on

We gave up 2 x 2nd rounders for Williams, Martin, McGovern and didn't finish bottom 6 in 2021

You gave up considerably more for Shiel, Smith, Stringer and finished bottom 6 in 2020. But didn't stop you making finals a year later

Get the point, yet?

Now, you have made a prediction where you will finish this year, top 4, and Carlton no more than 10 wins. Look forward to reviewing that with you end of year

"If you lie to yourself enough, even you will start to believe it"

I've had enough of trying to have a reasonable discussion with you. It looked so promising but turned into another s**t throwing debate from another Carlton Cohort member.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Seems nothing changes.

Ignore works beautifully. The 430+ spam posts now don't clog up the thread and kill actual decent discussion.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Seems nothing changes.

Ignore works beautifully. The 430+ spam posts now don't clog up the thread and kill actual decent discussion.
If you can't handle a Carlton supporters opinion on a season that hasn't began yet maybe you should just forget the ignore button and find another thread where it's only your opinion that counts.

Back