Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
If Rankine and or Luko nominate us and GC get pushed into the corner with a below value pick or lose them to the draft, maybe we won't need a super early 1st rounder. Could an early 2022 1st be turned into 2 later firsts?
Maybe we wouldnt actually have to give up a 2022 1st though..

We simply trade our 2022 1st to a team that has a 2021 1st around pick 16 and their 2022 1st rounder..

Bit like what we did with Carlton when they wanted Stocker..

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given the Suns were prepared to draft Hollands and rehabilitate him from a long term injury from which he is still yet to play, I can't see Hollands leaving the Suns for many seasons.
I know what you are saying, although he was always projected to go very high - he was considered by us for pick 1, so it might be a stretch to say that just because GC took him and were prepared to rehab him that he owes them everything. Any club that took him would be doing the same.

I am just thinking that if there was an option to lure him here at the end of his 1st contract by paying overs, it would still be a cheaper option than trying to trade up to go after Horne in this draft

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given the Suns were prepared to draft Hollands and rehabilitate him from a long term injury from which he is still yet to play, I can't see Hollands leaving the Suns for many seasons.
We supported Chloe Scheer through knee reconstructions but she has left us.
Players will move if the reasons are advantageous to their career.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
That is true..although it still might be cheaper (holistically in terms of overall impact on the club) to go after him for the end of next year that it would be to have to try and trade up to get Horne if the club really wanted that top end mid
Maybe draft his brother Ollie next year?

That's probably our best shot at getting a Hollands' on our list.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
We let Dangerfield spend the first year of his contract home in Modeware.

That worked out well
We kept Sam Shaw on our list so that he could access better healthcare under the new collective bargaining agreement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
We supported Chloe Scheer through knee reconstructions but she has left us.
Players will move if the reasons are advantageous to their career.
Exactly. Clubs are obligated to support players through knee recos, players don't usually do their knees around the house, they do them at training and on the field in service of the club. Once that's done, the ledger is even and as long as clubs have the power to cut a player whenever they like, players should have the ability to leave whenever they like.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly. Clubs are obligated to support players through knee recos, players don't usually do their knees around the house, they do them at training and on the field in service of the club. Once that's done, the ledger is even and as long as clubs have the power to cut a player whenever they like, players should have the ability to leave whenever they like.

This is a good point which I must admit I often forget. I'm disappointed to lose Scheer after we spent the best part of two years helping her to rehab her knee, but I need to remember she only did the knee injury in the process of delivering us a flag to begin with.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So listening to VB on SEN he said that the plan will be to continue playing McAsey forward in the SANFL toward the backend of the season. Surely at some point we have to pick an end and stick to it right? Like if he is ever going to actually play AFL again then he shouldn't really be used as a swingman, no? I don't get it. Someone change my mind because it's baffling to me. If they want to play Frampton down back in the SANFL to give him a last chance at AFL footy that's fine but why wouldn't Fish be promoted or, in the case of Frampton being promoted, continued to be played down back.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Others have said this but McAsey moves more like a natural forward in the footage I've seen. Looks impressive on the lead. Maybe that's why he went as high in the draft as he did.
One thing I haven't given Fish enough credit for is his long kicking. I remember him kicking a goal on the move from just outside 50 in his pre-draft vid and thought, wow, that was a good kick.

But then on the weekend he slotted a set shot from well outside 50 and it went through post high, which is a MUCH bigger kick. The kid's got a cannon on him!

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
So listening to VB on SEN he said that the plan will be to continue playing McAsey forward in the SANFL toward the backend of the season. Surely at some point we have to pick an end and stick to it right? Like if he is ever going to actually play AFL again then he shouldn't really be used as a swingman, no? I don't get it. Someone change my mind because it's baffling to me. If they want to play Frampton down back in the SANFL to give him a last chance at AFL footy that's fine but why wouldn't Fish be promoted or, in the case of Frampton being promoted, continued to be played down back.

We did pick an end and stick to it, we picked defence and he's played defence all year. Problem is he is well on his way to looking like a bust as such, especially given the price we paid. I think that's a fair example of picking an end and sticking, only he's not progressing, has been overtaken by Butts, Murray, Worrell and now even Frampton.

We're now choosing to trial him forward and are going to give him a reasonable run of games in that position to see what he can show. End of the day its got little to do with Frampton and more to do with McAsey struggling in his development as a defender.

I have no issues with this if we actually give the player a good run of games in a certain position. The issue is when he's playing forward one week, back the next, then forward for a half, back for a couple of weeks, then forward again...

Back