Star Wars movie

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have fear about the Kenobi series.

That they are wedging content into an already packed time period and the ripple effect that such wedging can have on existing canon.

If Vader and Obi Wan face off there can be no stakes and it runs a high risk on imparting different meaning into the episode 4 dialogue.

I am sure we will get scenes that look pretty but mean not a lot.
I assume it will have darth maul coming back and fighting kenobi on tatooine.
Lots of content about his time on the planet between episodes 3-4.

I assume it will have darth maul coming back and fighting kenobi on tatooine.
Lots of content about his time on the planet between episodes 3-4.

Maul already did that in Rebels and the dialogue is such that their meeting seems to be their first encounter.

Also Hayden Christensen plays Vader in the series so I am doubtful on there being both Maul and Vader.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
This thread needs a 2022 update. let's start with a meme...

You know what, this movie is holding up pretty well compared to the sequels following on from Return of the Jedi

Anyone watching Bobby Fett Tv show.

Thought the first two episodes were great (esp 2) but Ep 3 was an abomination

You know what, this movie is holding up pretty well compared to the sequels following on from Return of the Jedi

I don't mind the movies, there are more execution problems and pacing issues, the major issue I think is that Lucas had surround himself with yes men after Kurtz left and he kind of lacked someone to keep him focused in terms of pacing and story telling. Oh, the casting was dubious as * too.

I have mixed views on the new show, it has the same flaws as Lucas' later movies in that it delves deeply into the politics/behind the scenes aspect of that particular story and it is just not going to remotely interest some sections of the crowd. It also suffers from pacing issues. I dunno, I never got on that bandwagon of being interested in the BF character so seeing him get beat up every episode is somewhat amusing.

I think the main weakness is they haven't established either a point of interest or fleshed out the character for the audience for us to give a s**t. I think when you look at say the first episode of the Mandalorian, it had much better pacing and storytelling. The first episode alone is better than the first 3 BF episodes combined. They are missing something like Mando's relationship with mini-Yoda to flesh out his character. Nobody really cares about the sand people or criminals fighting over territory, it needs good characters and good storytelling and so far it is somewhat lacking imo.

I think if a show is only going to have 8 episodes then it better come out of the blocks strongly, like Mandalorian S1 E1 did.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham

Watching it - it’s odd and definitely suffers from comparison with the Mandalorian. Much much more gripping watching that helmeted guy speaking slowly and flatly because the Grogu angle gave it heart from Ep 1, and there was a sense of his quest, and he kept meeting new interesting characters in new interesting places. Apart from Fett wanting to be the boss of Mos Espa for some unnamed reason, this doesn’t have the same motivation, and it’s all on Tatooine so it’s pretty samey. I’d rather be watching the two of them on the road. Anyway, I will stick with it because it’s still enjoyable seeing the old characters and locales reworked, but so far I’m unconvinced.

I don't mind the movies, there are more execution problems and pacing issues, the major issue I think is that Lucas had surround himself with yes men after Kurtz left and he kind of lacked someone to keep him focused in terms of pacing and story telling. Oh, the casting was dubious as fu** too.

Major flaw for some big creators is having a voice that can say "nah that is pretty silly" or "that kinda ruins stuff you have done before". JK Rowling suffers the exact same stuff in the fantastic beasts movies. No respected dissenting voice.

I have mixed views on the new show, it has the same flaws as Lucas' later movies in that it delves deeply into the politics/behind the scenes aspect of that particular story and it is just not going to remotely interest some sections of the crowd. It also suffers from pacing issues. I dunno, I never got on that bandwagon of being interested in the BF character so seeing him get beat up every episode is somewhat amusing.

In humanising BF they take away some of the aura (even if you didn't have said aura to begin with). right now he doesn't seem to be some fearless bounty hunter, he seems to be a broken king looking for redemption through benevolence. I am not sure if that is Boba Fett, but it looks like it will be.
Just make him ride the rancor, that is what this whole season will be about. this MF gonna ride a goddamn rancor and it is going to be great

I think the main weakness is they haven't established either a point of interest or fleshed out the character for the audience for us to give a sh*t. I think when you look at say the first episode of the Mandalorian, it had much better pacing and storytelling. The first episode alone is better than the first 3 BF episodes combined. They are missing something like Mando's relationship with mini-Yoda to flesh out his character. Nobody really cares about the sand people or criminals fighting over territory, it needs good characters and good storytelling and so far it is somewhat lacking imo.

It is worse than not establishing a point of interest, within the first 3 episodes they have bait and switched the antagonist. Why even introduce the Twins?

IMHO Star Wars needs non saga related content, it is what made the Mandalorian better. Sure there were tie ins but Saga characters were not front and square or not being mentioned every 10 minutes.

I like it.

Chucking the rest in spoilers just in case.

Having watched the prequels along with animated series (which get surprisingly violet and dark...and not child friendly at all) it's in line with the idea that Boba is an 'orphaned' clone making his way in the world. A guy with a rough childhood and mingling with the wrong people....but at his core isn't a bad guy.

If people are wedded to the original trilogy as their definitive Star Wars experience, I can see why they won't enjoy it as much.

It's not perfect and the 3rd episode has some 'meh' bits but overall it's well done piece. It's not like how it was marketed through the trailers and the Mando post credits scene. More of a spiritual journey tone rather than seedy underworld crime drama.

Major flaw for some big creators is having a voice that can say "nah that is pretty silly" or "that kinda ruins stuff you have done before". JK Rowling suffers the exact same stuff in the fantastic beasts movies. No respected dissenting voice.

In humanising BF they take away some of the aura (even if you didn't have said aura to begin with). right now he doesn't seem to be some fearless bounty hunter, he seems to be a broken king looking for redemption through benevolence. I am not sure if that is Boba Fett, but it looks like it will be.
Just make him ride the rancor, that is what this whole season will be about. this MF gonna ride a goddamn rancor and it is going to be great

It is worse than not establishing a point of interest, within the first 3 episodes they have bait and switched the antagonist. Why even introduce the Twins?

IMHO Star Wars needs non saga related content, it is what made the Mandalorian better. Sure there were tie ins but Saga characters were not front and square or not being mentioned every 10 minutes.
The Mandalorian also benefited from having good antagonists the Client, Moff Gideon and the imperial remnant, which appealed to old legends fans as well. You need a good villain, whether it be a campy version like the Emperor, or a more grounded realistic villain with reasonable motivations.

Back