Coronavirus/COVID-19

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The latest results of the Federal Liberal Party Covid policies are clear to see:

cdc4024ae360e6392ae75fe255eff202.jpg

I didn’t take a photo of the meet aisles because there were too many angry looking people in the way.

Keep up the good work Scomo!

Last edited:
Pssst, LG, FNQ is a foreign country. You live closer to Papua New Guinea than Brisbane. Canberra might as well be on another planet. Sorry, I should have warned you to leave prior concepts of civilisation behind when you moved from Melbourne. It will take a couple of years for you to become de-Victorianed and by then you’ll be taaallking reeeaaal slooow. Bob will be your best friend!
All the best on your banana hunt!

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The latest results of the Federal Liberal Party Covid policies are clear to see:

cdc4024ae360e6392ae75fe255eff202.jpg

I didn’t take a photo of the meet aisles because there were too many angry looking people in the way.

Keep up the good work Scomo!

Are any of the shop-fittings edible? There's some apples in the (corflute?) signage. Also are their green bags now biodegradable? That's only one step away from edible!

I haven't done a shop yet this week, but last week there was no chicken of any description at our local Woolies, but plenty of red meat though! Nothing was being rationed, but apparently that has been implemented by Colesworth this week - dunny paper and other staples.

LittleG, if you're in Cairns, there are mango trees around some suburban streets - although maybe they've been stripped and sold off by industrious kids? Maybe try markets at Kuranda, or the coastal beach communities north towards Port Douglas, not as much transport logistic impact if fruit arrive at those markets via local producers.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If a club can select 23 game day players game should go ahead, regardless if there are 5 ruckman in the bunch. Some relaxing of rules around rookies being allowed to play in case of emergency should be happening.

If a club can select 23 game day players game should go ahead, regardless if there are 5 ruckman in the bunch. Some relaxing of rules around rookies being allowed to play in case of emergency should be happening.
"Only 5? Dunkley, Bontempelli, Macrae, Cordy... pretty much anyone except Sweet really"
- Bevo

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep unfortunately this, it’s not fair and it’s going to make for a very uneven competition - you just know we’ll lose Bont & Naughty for a game against Melbourne/Geelong and Melbourne will lose Neal-Bullen or some s**t and that’s it - but this is how it’s going to have to be. Could be a blessing for us to be honest as our depth is a real strength for us compared to a lot of teams.

Some common sense needs to prevail and iso period needs to come down to 5 days (not just for AFL but for everywhere) having a player test positive on Monday and be unable to play a game on Saturday night is not okay

Yep unfortunately this, it’s not fair and it’s going to make for a very uneven competition - you just know we’ll lose Bont & Naughty for a game against Melbourne/Geelong and Melbourne will lose Neal-Bullen or some sh*t and that’s it - but this is how it’s going to have to be. Could be a blessing for us to be honest as our depth is a real strength for us compared to a lot of teams.

Some common sense needs to prevail and iso period needs to come down to 5 days (not just for AFL but for everywhere) having a player test positive on Monday and be unable to play a game on Saturday night is not okay
In a weird way we might be more prepared for this than a lot of teams.
Most top 8 sides only used a relatively small number of players - only Bedendo missed out for us, and he's come back in good shape so even if we extend to scraping the bottom of our list most players should put in a good account of themselves.
Probably justifies the Robbie McComb rookie pick too.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In a weird way we might be more prepared for this than a lot of teams.
Most top 8 sides only used a relatively small number of players - only Bedendo missed out for us, and he's come back in good shape so even if we extend to scraping the bottom of our list most players should put in a good account of themselves.
Probably justifies the Robbie McComb rookie pick too.
This is a good point. This year, more so than any other, could be about list depth.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Retired (older) players are taking the field for cricket teams in Bendigo to fill in for younger players in isolation.

Barnstoneworth United finally won a game bringing back the legends of their 1922 side.

Imagine if Bevo had Henderson, Schultz, Dempsey, Templeton, Hardie, Liber, Wynd, Grant at his disposal. I'm sure he'd come up with a plan that catered for their restricted mobility!

I worked on a mango farm in Katherine, NT for a couple of months in 2014. The mangoes were picked, packed and driven down to Woolies distribution centre in Adelaide…then driven back up to be sold in Woolworths, Katherine.

Now THAT is bananas.
Same thing used to happen - probably still does - with apples from Batlow and bananas from Coffs Harbour going to local supermarkets via the Sydney wholesale market.
Buy at your local farmer’s market or roadside stall where you can. If it’s local produce it cuts the food miles dramatically and you’ll be helping the environment. Usually far fresher than the fresh food people too.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Henderson wouldn't get a game, couldn't play on a tall. Schultz wouldn't get a game, too short for a ruckman or key position player, too slow for a medium. Dempsey might get a Stefan Martin gig, his 'round the ground marking would be to Bev's liking but not agile enough for Bev, ditto Wynd. Bev wouldn't like Hardie's attitude and lack of pace but modern zone defence would suit him, he'd spend a lot of time at Footscray. Libber snr would have to improve his kicking for, perhaps, a defensive small forward role; tough as he was, too small for a midfield gig. Grant would get a game as a shortish tall defender.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

I am a doctor working in a tertiary hospital in Sydney. Most of the patients I look after are cancer patients with a weak immune system and most of them have done the right thing. Gotten vaccinated. Stayed home. Wore a mask at every appointment. Despite everything they try they are getting COVID-19. Maybe the daughter that picks up groceries for them has it. Maybe the nurse who comes to the house to give them antibiotics. It's everywhere and it's unavoidable. Some have obvious symptoms but are struggling to get RATs, they are struggling to get PCRs. They cannot understand why the government isn't telling them more. I know why but I can't say it to them. It's a bad look for the government. I know people who work in the public health unit. They know that none of the decisions being made right now are science-based, they are political. It's because the someone decided we are "all going to get COVID-19 anyway", so why not all at once? Rip the band-aid off quickly. Then people will start going back to the shops, the pub, their place or worship.

I have spent the whole morning trying to organise sotrovimab for my patients. It's the first step in patients who currently only have mild or moderate COVID-19 but it has to be given in the first days after symptoms start. You can't bring a COVID-19 positive patient into an infusion centre without risking exposure to every other patient there so these people have to be directed to "hot zones" where every person has COVID-19. If they did a RAT which was positive but it's a false positive then it doesn't matter; they are positive for sure now. Where are the "hot zones"? They are all the same. The only place left open is the one place that can never close, the Emergency Department. They are at breaking point. I cannot find a bed or a chair or a nurse to give the drug. I find doctors with haunted looks who have not taken their mask off for a sip of water in 12 hours.

My husband works in the ED in a tertiary Sydney Hospital. He has seen at least three people die this week who should not have died. None of them had COVID-19. One was a man with diarrhoea. People don't die with diarrhoea - not in Australia. We are a developed country. We are ranked 6th in the world for life expectancy. The family called 3 times for an ambulance and were told each time they could not spare an ambulance to get to them. They didn't say why but we all know why. It's the same reason there are no apples on the shelves. They tell the family to get in their car and drive to the ED. He arrests in the car on his way to the hospital. He cannot be resuscitated. There isn't time to explain to the family what has happened because there are 30 people in the waiting room. Some have COVID-19 but you don't know which ones yet. It could be the young guy who is here because he cut his hand at work. It could be the elderly woman who had a fall at the nursing home. There are 5 doctors this shift who either have COVID-19 or who are close contacts. You do the death certificate and move on.

It's sickening to think that this was all avoidable. Yes, we would have all gotten COVID-19 at some point but we could have handled it if cases were spread out. We would all have been given the best medical treatment when we got COVID-19. Instead we are dying in cars on the way to hospital. We are dying at home before it is time for our booster.

Please look after the people you care about and stay safe. We're doing the best we can in hospital. We are grateful for every person who does the right thing. It's clear from the silence from the authorities that it's up to us now and we're on our own.

- Anonymous

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are any of the shop-fittings edible? There's some apples in the (corflute?) signage. Also are their green bags now biodegradable? That's only one step away from edible!

I haven't done a shop yet this week, but last week there was no chicken of any description at our local Woolies, but plenty of red meat though! Nothing was being rationed, but apparently that has been implemented by Colesworth this week - dunny paper and other staples.

LittleG, if you're in Cairns, there are mango trees around some suburban streets - although maybe they've been stripped and sold off by industrious kids? Maybe try markets at Kuranda, or the coastal beach communities north towards Port Douglas, not as much transport logistic impact if fruit arrive at those markets via local producers.

We do ok, not worried at all. The road side stalls are good.

I laugh at the lack of things in supermarkets that makes people panic.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
and the poor grower gets screwed down with their prices
Every farmer I met on my travels has been an absolute prick. We were expected to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week for $21 per hour. Didn’t have time to wash our clothes or do a shop to make food for the day. Asian travellers, in particular, were massively taken advantage of.

The farmer I worked for on another farm in Mareeba was literally the biggest nut job I’ve ever met in my life. He once told a joke and then tried to fire someone for laughing at it.

They’re under tremendous pressure and I’m sure I’ve just met a few bad apples (har har) but it does seem to be an industry where power crazed lunatics have perfect opportunity to exploit vulnerable people.

Back