Strategy SSP targets

Remove this Banner Ad

So current list vacancies appear to be:

* Carlton - 1 (with Jones moving to the inactive list)
* Essendon - 2
* Geelong - 1
* Gold Coast - 1
* Hawthorn - 1
* North Melbourne - 1
* St Kilda - 2
* Sydney - 1
* West Coast - 1 (2 if Sheppard retires as seems sadly likely)

Players who are apparently training with clubs for that vacancy:

Carlton - Josh Cripps, Tyreece Lieu
Essendon - Nick Martin, Tex Wanganeen, Roland Fejo Jnr, Dylan Clarke
Gold Coast - Nathan Freeman, Lewis Rayson
North Melbourne - Tom T. Lynch, Marty Hore
Sydney - Paddy McCartin
West Coast - Luke Strandica, Kade Dittmar, Josh Browne, Tom Joyce, Logan Young

Anyone I'm missing?

Last edited:

Isn’t Lynch to North all but confirmed?

With only one spot left have they maybe thought instead to get him to sign up to their VFL side? Otherwise what’s the point of inviting Hore to train?
Yeah I’m hoping we have found a way to not have to use the rookie spot on lynch

And just have him as a dev coach and vfl list

With only one spot left have they maybe thought instead to get him to sign up to their VFL side? Otherwise what’s the point of inviting Hore to train?
Cunnington to the inactive list, maybe?

I mean they could be considering signing hore to their vfl side and thats why hes training there to get a look but id rookie him over lynch if i was them.

It's one of those ones where if you're not on Carlton's list and Gold Coast are full, it's time to hit the bricks.

I don’t think that makes sense. In some ways these poor sides lists are harder to make because they’ve been bad for so long.

Carlton and Suns vfl sides are stacked with top 30 picks many of whom are currently worse footballers then Gibbons but have much higher upside.

I don’t think that makes sense. In some ways these poor sides lists are harder to make because they’ve been bad for so long.

Carlton and Suns vfl sides are stacked with top 30 picks many of whom are currently worse footballers then Gibbons but have much higher upside.

Sometimes you just gotta know who to respond to, and who to completely ignore.

Fejo jr sounds very promising for us. Tex I feel we should be putting on our VFL list and see how he turns out before making a decision. Clarke I can live with getting a contract but wouldn't be overly disappointed if he didn't. Martin I know very little about but seems like a good size and had a good year so seems like a good prospect ala Waterman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly, after all, a Carlton/Gold Coast/North/Adelaide/Hawks/Collingwood etc are just wasting their time going for an experienced mid 20s player unless they're adding genuine quality. A lesson the bottom clubs have finally taken to heart.

You’d think players like Youseph Dib, Joel Trudgeon, Blake Schlensog, Josh Rentsch, Sam Paea and a few others would get opportunities to train with a club at some stage over the pre season.

Last year, SSP train on players received $1000 per week, trying out for which ever team they were trying out for.

It’s possible that clubs could use this as a means top up VFL players pay, without it counting under a teams vfl salary cap.

You’d think players like Youseph Dib, Joel Trudgeon, Blake Schlensog, Josh Rentsch, Sam Paea and a few others would get opportunities to train with a club at some stage over the pre season.
Dib is training with the north vfl team.

Would be keen on someone decent at North.
Favour of the month but I still reckon a KPD is worth it if someone comes along.
Hore looks ok at training and good body size but not really the right age/games profile for us unless we're going to take him long term in more than a quick replacement role. 190cm, 25 and sub 20 games doesn't scream 7-10 year player

Yeah I’m hoping we have found a way to not have to use the rookie spot on lynch

And just have him as a dev coach and vfl list
I'm hoping this is the case as well.
Would love to see Marty Hore get another crack.

Was Jack Lonie still training with us or has he joined our VFL side??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back