Analysis Who is the Tigers 22nd best player?

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose you need to break down the groups, who plays where and a big influence is our ruck/fwd structure
So I look at it this way... Back 7, Fwd 7, Mid 7, and then 22nd player who is likely a mid but could play elsewhere

Back 7
Grimes
Tarrant
Broad
Vlaustin
Short
Rioli (I'm not sold, but Dimma seemed happy with it)
Mansell

Mid 7
Nank
Prestia
Martin
Cotchin
Bolton
RCD
Kmac (wing)

Fwd 7
Lynch
JR
Balta (supposedly training forward)
Edwards
Lambert
Baker
Stack

So who is the last player picked???
Graham is the obvious one in the Mid group... would allow Martin and Bolton more forward time
Ralphsmith could take up a spot on the wing which I still believe is a massive problem for us...
Jack Ross I think should be in the lineup, but who misses out?

If you make changes, then you are probably looking at the last 1-2 in each group that may make way...

And as I have said in multiple threads, I still believe our best is if JR only plays 2 out of every 3 games to get him through the season

Mansell is an audacious selection

I suppose you need to break down the groups, who plays where and a big influence is our ruck/fwd structure
So I look at it this way... Back 7, Fwd 7, Mid 7, and then 22nd player who is likely a mid but could play elsewhere

Back 7
Grimes
Tarrant
Broad
Vlaustin
Short
Mansell

Mid 7
Nank
Prestia
Martin
Cotchin
Bolton
RCD
Kmac (wing)

Fwd 7
Lynch
JR
Edwards
Lambert
Baker
Stack

Graham is the obvious one in the Mid group... would allow Martin and Bolton more forward time
Ralphsmith could take up a spot on the wing which I still believe is a massive problem for us...

If you make changes, then you are probably looking at the last 1-2 in each group that may make way...

And as I have said in multiple threads, I still believe our best is if JR only plays 2 out of every 3 games to get him through the season
What's the source for Balta training as a forward?

Back 7
Grimes
Tarrant
Broad
Vlaustin
Short
Mansell

Mid 7
Nank
Prestia
Martin
Cotchin
Bolton
RCD
Kmac (wing)

Fwd 7
Lynch
JR
Edwards
Lambert
Baker
Stack

I'm not confident on stack either until we get some positive fitness news.

George would be pretty high in the dimma magnet board possibly

George Might be under pressure with baker. Graham. Lambert. Bolton. RioliDaniel. Etc. Trying to get a spot somewhere.

Clarke might be a smokie down the track
No way we'd drop our captain.

No But we get the governments we deserve, they all have destroyed the health system preferring to put the money in the politicians perks, it’s disgusting that we have become a third world country
Riiiiight.

For me its the first 15 or 16 players then its debatable for the rest of the spots in the 22.

Based on those who played more than half of the games that is at least 12 we had 24 players who played the majority of games.
Grimes, Short , baker, Graham, Bolton, Martin, Cotchin, Edwards, Pickett, Houli , Lambert, McIntosh, Nankervis, Rioli, Castagna, Riewoldt, Astbury, Broad,
Aarts, Vlastuin, Lynch, Balta, Ross, Mansell. Two have retired Houli and Astbury leaving 22.

Tarrant will come in as a cert as will Prestia, Thats at least two of those who played a majority of games who wont start the season.
Imo RCD is a need and should play most games. Stack did way more than enough to keep his spot and i think we will play two ruckmen so Soldo will come into it. I also think structurally Miller will come under consideration and natural progression should see Dow and Ralphsmith pushing hard for games. Last i think of the new kids Sonsie could play from week one.

The bottom 8 or so players who played more than 12 games last year imo were Short, Aarts, Castagna, Rioli, McIntosh, Mansell, Ross, Pickett.

For me its the first 15 or 16 players then its debatable for the rest of the spots in the 22.

Based on those who played more than half of the games that is at least 12 we had 24 players who played the majority of games.
Grimes, Short , baker, Graham, Bolton, Martin, Cotchin, Edwards, Pickett, Houli , Lambert, McIntosh, Nankervis, Rioli, Castagna, Riewoldt, Astbury, Broad,
Aarts, Vlastuin, Lynch, Balta, Ross, Mansell. Two have retired Houli and Astbury leaving 22.

Tarrant will come in as a cert as will Prestia, Thats at least two of those who played a majority of games who wont start the season.
Imo RCD is a need and should play most games. Stack did way more than enough to keep his spot and i think we will play two ruckmen so Soldo will come into it. I also think structurally Miller will come under consideration and natural progression should see Dow and Ralphsmith pushing hard for games. Last i think of the new kids Sonsie could play from week one.

The bottom 8 or so players who played more than 12 games last year imo were Short, Aarts, Castagna, Rioli, McIntosh, Mansell, Ross, Pickett.
Agree with most of that, but I'm not sure you can put it up as a bottom 8 to chose from because it's a positional decision. Short eg may be bottom 8 on the list overall, but no way is not in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most of that, but I'm not sure you can put it up as a bottom 8 to chose from because it's a positional decision. Short eg may be bottom 8 on the list overall, but no way is not in the side.
Thats depends on what you are looking for in players in the role. An example of how easily what Short does is easly found is Dan Rioli going back for the last 5 or 6 games.
As it is i thought Short had a very poor year despite the amount of ball his teammates gave him.And that is literally the way it works with Short his team mates do the grunt work and get it out to him. Sheesh a tough old job that eh.

I dont want to turn this into a Short bashing but for me he hardly has a defensive bone in his body he is almost exclusively an outside player and his foot skills are massively over rated and i think him easily replaced.Needless to say i have never really rated him. He has a job to perform and imo it is one of the easier jobs to perform as shown by Rioli.

Thats depends on what you are looking for in players in the role. An example of how easily what Short does is easly found is Dan Rioli going back for the last 5 or 6 games.
As it is i thought Short had a very poor year despite the amount of ball his teammates gave him.And that is literally the way it works with Short his team mates do the grunt work and get it out to him. Sheesh a tough old job that eh.

I dont want to turn this into a Short bashing but for me he hardly has a defensive bone in his body he is almost exclusively an outside player and his foot skills are massively over rated and i think him easily replaced.Needless to say i have never really rated him. He has a job to perform and imo it is one of the easier jobs to perform as shown by Rioli.
I agree, but he finished well up in the B&F and although many players missed multiple games, he's rated by the match committee, so I can't see him being dropped. I disagree on his disposal not being up there as extremely dependable, albeit he does often just bomb long down the line. If Rioli can bring his tackling combined with run and carry like Short though, look out!

I agree, but he finished well up in the B&F and although many players missed multiple games, he's rated by the match committee, so I can't see him being dropped. I disagree on his disposal not being up there as extremely dependable, albeit he does often just bomb long down the line. If Rioli can bring his tackling combined with run and carry like Short though, look out!
I agree they won't drop him and in fairness his role is to recieve the ball and either get on his bike and break lines or use the ball well.
He obviously is doing what they want. I don't believe he can play any other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back