Prediction Patrick Dangerfield to become a 400 gamer

Will Patrick Dangerfield play 400 games?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t be surprised if Mundy and Pendlebury both make it. I think Dangerfield will end up somewhere in the 350-375 range by the end.

Ablett would’ve been a 400 gamer if not for that injury in 2014. Would’ve been a definite 3 time brownlow winner as well. He was so good in 2014 if he never got injured and won that brownlow, he’d have probably also have carried the suns to their only finals campaign

Patrick Dangerfield is 31 years old yet has already played 285 games.

He has another 3 years on his contract so barring any serious injury he should reach 350 games by the time he's 34 and his current contract expires.

After that I expect the club will offer Danger the standard 1 year veterans deals.

Given Danger's versatility around the ground, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for Danger to play for another 3 years after 2024 and predominantly at full forward.

I predict that Danger will become a 400 gamer and it'll be somewhat ironic given him and Shaun Burgoyne both played 150 games for the Crows and Power respectively, followed by playing 250 games for the Cats and Hawks respectively. I just hope we don't nurse Danger to 400 like the Hawks nursed Burgoyne to 400. In my opinion the 400 game milestone is cheapened knowing Fletcher and Burgoyne were both nursed to 400, especially when Tuck, Bartlett and Harvey all well and truly earned the 400 game milestone on their own merits by playing such good footy for so long. In fact, Tuck and Harvey had to be tapped on the shoulder to retire, and both could have easily aged on for at least another year if they weren't tapped on the shoulder, that's how good the footy was from both of them in their final seasons.

I expect David Mundy to become the next 400 gamer in the league and Dangerfield to become the next 400 gamer after Mundy.

Dangerfield could easily kick 50+ goals playing as a permanent forward in his mid 30s. He kicked 45 goals in 2017 playing predominantly as a midfielder, and 2017 was easily Danger's best season despite the fact the media pundits all rated his 2016 higher. After Danger hurt his ankle against the Hawks in round 17 2017 and Chris Scott moved him to full forward permanently for the rest of the game, it was easily the most dominant game I've seen from a Cats player playing full forward since Gary Ablett Snr.

What does everyone think? Am I in the majority or the minority of Cats supporters who believe Danger is a very good chance to play 400 games?

He's only had one serious injury throughout his whole career and that was a contact injury which anyone can get regardless of age. It's not like Danger has a bad history with soft tissue injuries, he's had a handful of minor hamstring injuries that's about it.

I think this is his final contract, and for him to reach 400 games he'd need to play 29 games each season. So no, I don't think he'll reach 400.

Even if he reached the end of this contract and got a (highly unlikely) two year extension, taking him to age 38, he'd still have to play 19 games in each of those seasons to reach 400. Won't happen!

Wouldn’t be surprised if Mundy and Pendlebury both make it. I think Dangerfield will end up somewhere in the 350-375 range by the end.

Ablett would’ve been a 400 gamer if not for that injury in 2014. Would’ve been a definite 3 time brownlow winner as well. He was so good in 2014 if he never got injured and won that brownlow, he’d have probably also have carried the suns to their only finals campaign

Mundy is playing terrific football - and currently i think is still in their best 5 players on their list

He looks like he could play forever - i just think he has to be careful - like Craig Bradley was the same - a champion player ( who used to feast on Geel unfortunately ) but i reckon Bradley had 1 year too many - and his last year just soured it a little bit

I just hope that doesnt happen with Mundy - and he finishes up at the right time

Mundy is playing terrific football - and currently i think is still in their best 5 players on their list

He looks like he could play forever - i just think he has to be careful - like Craig Bradley was the same - a champion player ( who used to feast on Geel unfortunately ) but i reckon Bradley had 1 year too many - and his last year just soured it a little bit

I just hope that doesnt happen with Mundy - and he finishes up at the right time
Very true or it could be a Burgoyne situation where Mundy is stuck in the 390s and gets a sympathy contract. I wouldn’t be surprised if the AFL made them do it for good publicity after the Goodes racism saga because anyone could see he was cooked for two years. The only other argument one could make is gold sticks out well when it’s amongst s**t. Hawthorn FC. First Aboriginal player to 400 is a big deal and it is nice to see even if it shouldn’t have happened. Just like Fletcher.

Interestingly, Boomer Harvey showed no signs of wanting to ease up, and was still productive. They say he could still be playing now!

Interestingly, Boomer Harvey showed no signs of wanting to ease up, and was still productive. They say he could still be playing now!

Fabulous footballer wasn't he. That's the biggest issue with time, most of us simply forget the more it passes on by.
We tend to get so caught up with current day champions, pumping them up a bit too often.
Boomer Harvey would be the equivalent of what Paul Chapman is to us in terms of all time standing.

I think this thread was over before it even started.

The first sentence uttered “31 years old only playing 285 games” is a good record yes, but you except him to 115 more AFL games?

He knows his career is on the back foot, he’ll be making room for Holmes, Stephens, Knevitt to come through. Don’t be surprised if he gets an injury and calls if after this year.

If not, he’ll limp through this year. Be arrogant and believe he can play another year and clogs a spot on the list that could be given to a rookie.

I think this thread was over before it even started.

The first sentence uttered “31 years old only playing 285 games” is a good record yes, but you except him to 115 more AFL games?

He knows his career is on the back foot, he’ll be making room for Holmes, Stephens, Knevitt to come through. Don’t be surprised if he gets an injury and calls if after this year.

If not, he’ll limp through this year. Be arrogant and believe he can play another year and clogs a spot on the list that could be given to a rookie.
You better get used to seeing more of Dangerfield as he'll be pulling on the hoops for at least 3 more seasons - unless concussion related, don't see him retiring anytime soon and especially not after this upcoming season

You better get used to seeing more of Dangerfield as he'll be pulling on the hoops for at least 3 more seasons - unless concussion related, don't see him retiring anytime soon and especially not after this upcoming season

I respect your opinion, but I think danger only has 2/3 more seasons left in him unfortunately. I just saw him slow down in some parts of the previous season.

Look, I’m all for seeing danger for 3 years. But he has to fit and injury free to get 3 more years left in him.

I respect your opinion, but I think danger only has 2/3 more seasons left in him unfortunately. I just saw him slow down in some parts of the previous season.

Look, I’m all for seeing danger for 3 years. But he has to fit and injury free to get 3 more years left in him.
In any case, this is likely our last realistic attempt at a flag with this list, and that may determine his future

I'm just looking at the facts of the situation - Dangerfield is contracted for another 3 seasons & it's going to take something pretty major to not see him in the hoops for another 3 years

Not sure we'll still see him in the guts in 3 years time though and suspect we'll see a change in role & position for him during his later years, which will probably see him playing more predominately as a forward

The only way I don't see him playing out these final 3 years of his contract is on medical grounds, and concussion seems to be one of the very few accepted reasons for the early breaking contacts without penalty to the parties involved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just looking at the facts of the situation - Dangerfield is contracted for another 3 seasons & it's going to take something pretty major to not see him in the hoops for another 3 years

Not sure we'll still see him in the guts in 3 years time though and suspect we'll see a change in role & position for him during his later years, which will probably see him playing more predominately as a forward

The only way I don't see him playing out these final 3 years of his contract is on medical grounds, and concussion seems to be one of the very few accepted reasons for the early breaking contacts without penalty to the parties involved
Contract- good points.

He’s just the right player to put down forward in his later years too.

The man is deadly down forward on a good day.

True but Fletcher was protected and hidden for years. If Essendon were serious he shouldn't have gotten near 400.
Amazing how people can see the same things differently. I thought Fletcher was still a valuable player for Essendon, right down to 400, and mates who support Essendon agree with that. Same with Boomer at NM. And Tuck at Hawks. I would hardly call it protected and hidden, the way Essendon played him.

Amazing how people can see the same things differently. I thought Fletcher was still a valuable player for Essendon, right down to 400, and mates who support Essendon agree with that. Same with Boomer at NM. And Tuck at Hawks. I would hardly call it protected and hidden, the way Essendon played him.

I could argue all of these players were doing better then danger at 31.

Especially Boomer.

He looks like he could play forever - i just think he has to be careful - like Craig Bradley was the same - a champion player
Bradley was just on a different level to Mundy, played until just shy of 39th birthday and an incredible 473 games, which includes Port Adelaide in the SANFL, which was a much stronger competition then than it is today, and he managed 3 B&F's at Port (+ 3 at Carlton), Yeah he slowed up in his last season, but was still good enough to get 3 Brownlow votes in his final match

Bradley was just on a different level to Mundy, played until just shy of 39th birthday and an incredible 473 games, which includes Port Adelaide in the SANFL, which was a much stronger competition then than it is today, and he managed 3 B&F's at Port (+ 3 at Carlton), Yeah he slowed up in his last season, but was still good enough to get 3 Brownlow votes in his final match
All true about Bradley, but we don't see as much of Mundy. He is still as good as he was 100 games ago.

I could argue all of these players were doing better then danger at 31.

Especially Boomer.
We're too quick to write off champions. Danger has really been hampered by an unlucky run of injuries these past 2 years. I'm tipping him to get back to his near his best before he's done.

As someone looking at other sides from the outside, I actually thought Fletcher never really showed many signs at all of being past it. Pretty remarkable really. Seemed like he just decided he'd had enough rather than the game catching up with him in any real sense.

I have a similar feeling about the end of Tuck's career. Have a lot of respect for what he achieved.

Burgoyne -great player but probably went on 1 or 2 seasons too long.

But Boomer Harvey on the other hand is a different case for me. Perhaps he could've kept going toward the end of his career and kept racking up the disposals. But my honest impression for a lot of his playing days (other than his very early years when he was more forward) was that North were a better team without him. Seemed to have a selfish streak that made him much better suited to being a goal sneak than a midfielder.

Agree - but Mundy is a bit like Pavlich - just imagine either went to a powerhouse Melb club

I mean Pavlich even got an All Aust selection one year at full back

I saw Geelong completely expose him in 2007, and every other time I saw Essendon after that the minute an opponent looked dangerous he was shifted somewhere else.

He doesn't have the skills to play once his physical gifts deteriorate IMO.

Said it before but it's one of the reason's I believe he's struggled in finals. When the pressure is dialled up to 11 and bodies are flying he doesn't have the skills to fall back on like a Hodge or Dusty did/do (Big surprise, known finals performers)

Paddy doesn't strike me as the type to want to hang around as a bottom 6 player either. He's a family man and he'll want to retire still looking somewhat like the great player he's been I reckon.

Joel's the opposite. Hocking might have to drag him off the field

Back