Pre-season 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Geez Josh Rachelle looks good. Hope we didn’t make a boo-boo taking Andrew instead. Time will tell.

Yeah. However Rachele will play for the SUNS one day. Give it time

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Looking at pictures posted by Suns on FB it does look like Powell is back training after concussion before Christmas:thumbsu: Relieved. Witts looking sharp 9 months into rehab.

We need Suns fans on GC to go to training and give us update. Otherwise it's up to Jen to fly in/out and give us a report. Common Jen, you can do it. Especially now when finally there are no QLD border restrictions!

Last edited:
Looking at pictures posted by Suns on FB it does look like Powell is back training after concussion before Christmas:thumbsu: Relieved. Witts looking sharp 9 months into rehab.

We need Suns fans on GC to go to training and give us update. Otherwise it's up to Jen to fly in/out and give us a report. Common Jen, you can do it. Especially now when finally there are no QLD border restrictions!

You do raise a good and valid point heh

I felt like I was in QLD today at training -- Pouring rain, humid, then an hour later, no clouds and bright sunshine.

So you're saying there is a chance :p Your Collingwood reports are impressive.
Thank you. I appreciate that. I try what I can for those who don't or can't get the opportunity to go down, like I can. The beauty of living close to the cbd.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thank you. I appreciate that. I try what I can for those who don't or can't get the opportunity to go down, like I can. The beauty of living close to the cbd.

Good to see Thompson and Collins involved in scrimmage. Who is 15s in? Tsitas?

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep fresh cut
He reminds me a bit of Miles.

Do invited players get paid? I would hope so plus medical cover. Probably not part of TPP?

I am a bit surprised that we invited 4 players. 2 mature midfielders I understand as we want to boost midfield depth but 19 year old medium forward (Ferres) and 19 old small defender/outside midfielder (Rayson) I am not so sure. I guess it depends how we go with injuries this off-season but both players look like long-term projects while we got some depth both in small/medium defenders (Budarick, Markov, Farrar, Weller, Uwland will start there probably, Nicholls, even McLennan) and medium forwards (Jeffrey, Corbett, even Hollands).

Do invited players get paid? I would hope so plus medical cover. Probably not part of TPP?

I am a bit surprised that we invited 4 players. 2 mature midfielders I understand as we want to boost midfield depth but 19 year old medium forward (Ferres) and 19 old small defender/outside midfielder (Rayson) I am not so sure. I guess it depends how we go with injuries this off-season but both players look like long-term projects while we got some depth both in small/medium defenders (Budarick, Markov, Farrar, Weller, Uwland will start there probably, Nicholls, even McLennan) and medium forwards (Jeffrey, Corbett, even Hollands).
4 players for 1 spot...

I wouldn't have thought a medium forward/small defender is a priority at this stage.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
4 players for 1 spot...

I wouldn't have thought a medium forward/small defender is a priority at this stage.
Exactly my thought. Maybe we could offer them VFL only spots. We got 200K VFL budget this year. Last year it was 100K but Suns did not use it. Lions signed Buzza that way this year.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3

- Never seen Tsitas play but seems to be a great bloke and a champion state footballer, wouldn't be upset if we got him.

- Not sure if they get paid, i'm sure they would get an allowance to live and all that. Maybe a question to ask at training/function.

- 4 may be a bit much for one spot but we may be looking at VFL squad or even next years draft for a spot. Those 19 year olds have had covid affected seasons and may be hidden gems as we will definitely see in the next 5 years "Mature agers" making lists.

Ideally with one spot left, i'll go the more dynamic goalkicker out of Tsitas and Freeman, both accomplished at their own state level and know how to get the footy. Asking abit much from a SPP pick but something in the mould of Dangerfield would be nice. We are still lacking that power burst midfielder which hopefully Noah Anderson in a few more years can develop into.

On the fantasy AFL board, apparently Will Brodie is dead last in Freo's runs.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
On the fantasy AFL board, apparently Will Brodie is dead last in Freo's runs.

I found it funny on the freo board they were blaming us for Brodie being slow and unfit.
and then continued to blame our program for the reason we are no good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I found it funny on the freo board they were blaming us for Brodie being slow and unfit.
and then continued to blame our program for the reason we are no good.
Some Freo fans still don't realise that despite being fit and doing his best Brodie is slow and does not have a tank.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

$1k per week.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Exactly my thought. Maybe we could offer them VFL only spots. We got 200K VFL budget this year. Last year it was 100K but Suns did not use it. Lions signed Buzza that way this year.
I believe we’ve signed 10 players, a couple are ex Suns academy kids, Harry Arnold, Riley Green and Nathan Colenso.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lewis Rayson should have been drafted.

Genuinely good half back. If you can get him to relocate to QLD, could be a good mid season draft option.

I’ve hypothesised on the Lions board that the VFL players could be used similarly to how the VFLW allow clubs to play their train on players if they are severely hit by covid.

With your extra long rookie list, you probably don’t need to sign as many VFL players as other clubs have, so you could theoretically offer less players more money, and attract higher quality players. However, most clubs have already announced all their VFL signings.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Compare Davies body with constable in the Instagram photos from today.

One guy looks like he’s been in the system for 4 years, the other looks like a first pre season.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Compare Davies body with constable in the Instagram photos from today.

One guy looks like he’s been in the system for 4 years, the other looks like a first pre season.
I think you're a bit harsh on Constable. But he does remind me body of Cats players. Distinct from Suns players who have more pronounced muscles/skinny type while Cats players and some other teams look like using creatine or some other legal supplements to have move heavy, soft/fat like muscle type. Just my observation :p

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
All good. Just kidding.

Still amazed how many players Lions signed.
I believe you’ll find most AFL clubs have signed a similar number.

As I mentioned in my previous post, covid contingency players. I’m actually surprised your club hasn’t announced any signings.

I believe we’ve signed Buzza as mentioned, four of our academy kids who played last year (3 will be 20, and 1 will be 21 this year), three ex Suns kids who are 20 or 21 this year, Will Fletcher from the QAFL and a kid from the Sandringham Dragons, who has relocated to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back