Opinion NMFC Board Cricket ThreadII - Windies, Big Bash, Pakistan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree because it's a Rye grass wicket, as are nearly all our wickets down here. While the rest of the country prefers the more traditional couch grass, Marcus goes for Rye. In the colder temperatures, the sturdier and quicker growing Rye is the preferred option, at least 70% of English wickets (while I was playing and curating over there at least anyway) were Rye also. Rye grass also keeps its colour for longer, which gives the Hobart pitch the green colour we are so familiar with during Shield matches :thumbsu:

The really telling thing with the first session for me, were the conditions, it was very humid, not long finished raining and the "Pink Ball", all elements that were going to be conducive to a seaming deck.... winning the toss was always going to be a "We'll have a bowl thanks". Warner never looked like scoring a run, Head and Green were terrific to watch and I've still know idea wtf Marnus was doing!

For people to be calling it a "green monster" (media mostly) after 1 session, is and was, a little premature. Lets not forget that only 7 days ago, the whole ground was under 2 inches of water, the curating staff have worked their arses off to get it ready.

PS: Being on the "grounds committee" for the board down here, I probably get a little protective :laughing:
Ha ha, cop that!

Woakes the biggest disappointment for me today. I've been really defensive of him. I remember watching a county game a few years back, not long after he remodelled his action for an extra yard of pace, and he was seaming them square at low to mid 140kph. It was incredible. This pitch should've suited him to a tee and he was non threatening.

Woakes the biggest disappointment for me today. I've been really defensive of him. I remember watching a county game a few years back, not long after he remodelled his action for an extra yard of pace, and he was seaming them square at low to mid 140kph. It was incredible. This pitch should've suited him to a tee and he was non threatening.
Just low on confidence and rhythm.

Last edited:
Losing Robinson was a helluva blow but Woakes didn’t bowl the right length, should’ve been his perfect pitch but Head took it to them and they all melted

The only time he has looked threatening in Aus was on the last tour in Adelaide at night. Other than that he has had no penetration.

The only time he has looked threatening in Aus was on the last tour in Adelaide at night. Other than that he has had no penetration.
Much to the chagrin of his significant partner

I don't agree because it's a Rye grass wicket, as are nearly all our wickets down here. While the rest of the country prefers the more traditional couch grass, Marcus goes for Rye. In the colder temperatures, the sturdier and quicker growing Rye is the preferred option, at least 70% of English wickets (while I was playing and curating over there at least anyway) were Rye also. Rye grass also keeps its colour for longer, which gives the Hobart pitch the green colour we are so familiar with during Shield matches :thumbsu:

The really telling thing with the first session for me, were the conditions, it was very humid, not long finished raining and the "Pink Ball", all elements that were going to be conducive to a seaming deck.... winning the toss was always going to be a "We'll have a bowl thanks". Warner never looked like scoring a run, Head and Green were terrific to watch and I've still know idea wtf Marnus was doing!

For people to be calling it a "green monster" (media mostly) after 1 session, is and was, a little premature. Lets not forget that only 7 days ago, the whole ground was under 2 inches of water, the curating staff have worked their arses off to get it ready.

PS: Being on the "grounds committee" for the board down here, I probably get a little protective :laughing:

I love a test pitch where 300 is a good first innings score, where it is not obvious that batting or bowling is the right call if you win the toss, and that deteriorates from about half way through day 3. We have seen a hundred and two other decent scores when batsmen got set. There could be runs in it tomorrow and the timing of when the new ball comes will be important. Now that the evening session today was rained out it would be good to see the Aussies bat for at least the whole first session tomorrow so we get to bowl in night conditions with a decent ball.

I love a test pitch where 300 is a good first innings score, where it is not obvious that batting or bowling is the right call if you win the toss, and that deteriorates from about half way through day 3. We have seen a hundred and two other decent scores when batsmen got set. There could be runs in it tomorrow and the timing of when the new ball comes will be important. Now that the evening session today was rained out it would be good to see the Aussies bat for at least the whole first session tomorrow so we get to bowl in night conditions with a decent ball.

Totally agree. Bowlers bowl full and batsmen who are good enough can score freely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly, the enemy was going to be from across the "ditch", long term plan was 2 Kiwi teams...... that's a while back now.
Like the idea of the top shield side playing the top Kiwi first class side in a game. Alternate between the countries as to who hosts the game. Would be beneficial to both you'd think as some up and coming cricketers can experience playing in different conditions.

I also would like to see Chappell Hadlee series get more prominence . Its a good series. Currently stands at 16 aussie wins to 14. So been closely fought

Yeah, think you'll find most of the current Poms squad have played here as young blokes.
They had a O/S professional didn’t they? Back in the 60/70/80’s
Guys like Viv Richards, Tony Mann & Sobers?

I thought there is a percentage that come over here as young players and play club cricket?
That's true to a certain degree krakouers, over the years, my local club has been lucky enough to have 3 players (should've had one opening the batting here now, would've made 4) that have finished our season here and then basically walked into the England team.

Personally, I love having an import at your club, really adds to your club dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back