Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

People have some serious rose-coloured glasses about that. No-one turned up to the non-Australia matches. I know folks in Perth used to get pissy about always being forced to have one in the measly two fixtures we received.

The other side is teams aren't keen on hanging round for a summer to be a third wheel in an ODI comp. It'd be very hard to fixture in our current heavily scheduled environment.
I said I liked the tri series. I dont know how that gives me rose coloured glasses…

Make the comp 4ish weeks and this will happen.

Does anyone have an idea of what a Finch, Khan type would be bringing in for the tournament?
more money?

People have some serious rose-coloured glasses about that. No-one turned up to the non-Australia matches. I know folks in Perth used to get pissy about always being forced to have one in the measly two fixtures we received.

The other side is teams aren't keen on hanging round for a summer to be a third wheel in an ODI comp. It'd be very hard to fixture in our current heavily scheduled environment.

I think people forget how poorly attended the international games have been as well over recent years apart from Test Matches.

I feel like international T20s could never be taken seriously after that first T20 we played against NZ all those years ago, with the wigs etc, was pretty much a pisstake - then it became a legit format, and it took Australia years to actually take it seriously. The gimmicky stuff around T20 is a turn off for me, but it's clearly heavily aimed at an audience that is definitely not me, but probably turns serious fans off the league.

I agree it needs a rebrand and get rid of some of the novelty crap, the goal should be to increase the standard of the product itself, and perhaps people will take it more seriously and start attending matches again.

It would never have grown past the gimmicky crap at international level if not for India winning the first World T20. Without that there is no IPL and T20 is nothing more than a gimmick.

But it did and now India throw money at it so the players and administrators try to take it more seriously because it’s their pay day, yet fans have never been invested in their 2 biggest markets in fake franchises.

it is interesting that the test players cant play in this because they are busy with internatonals.

haze, cummins, starc when was the last time they played in the league. they are automatic choices for the international t20 matches based on....?

IPL, they always manage to find time to play IPL.

The gimmicks, dumb names and loud music at games used to annoy me as well, but I came to the realisation that this comp is not to be taken seriously.

It makes as much sense for me to get pissed off about things I don’t like in the BBL as it does to get pissed off about gimmicks in other Ch7 game shows like Holey Moley or Big Brother.

I actually don’t mind heading down to the MCG after work for the odd Stars game, but it’s more for a bit of light entertainment with mates as opposed to getting amped up for a big sporting contest.

Last edited:
IPL, they always manage to find time to play IPL.
Mitch Starc hasn't played in the IPL since 2016, and hasn't played in the BBL since 2015. No other franchise cricket has been played, yet he continuously gets selected in the T20 squads
Cummins hasn't played BBL since 2019. And Hazlewood took a break from T20 cricket from 2014 to 2020.
I don't think any of them justify their selection in the T20 WC squad

Think the Australian cricket summer needs a re-work as others have said here.

Consider moving Sydney test to pre-Christmas and then potentially Perth being the last test of the summer starting 2/3 January. The last test only starting this late into the summer/school holidays is ridiculous.

What is even being played next? There is nothing on the CA website until Jan 30 which is a ODI in Perth which surely isn't going ahead?

Whether it is a Tri-Series or if you let the Australian/Touring nation internationals have a few weeks in the BBL after the last test, they need to do something better than what they're doing. England pissing off straight away sucks too.

How are we going to draw more international players here for the BBL? I'm not really sure but 5-7 years ago when I was a bit younger and into the BBL, it felt like any night you tuned into a game there was a decent chance you could see a player hit a ton or see a team make 200. Is it that the game has been figured out tactically that is the problem? Or are the players just s**t? Or both?

They should try and find a way to get for example some England players from the Ashes to play in the BBL, plus the Aussie guys after the series usually. Add say Head and Carey to the current Strikers debacle of a team and the quality of the team improves tenfold.

I don't even know what all the new rules are these days, and whatever, I'm not exactly the target audience any more, but to pretty much speak to anyone and hear them say they have absolutely no interest in the product is a bit disappointing.

Mitch Starc hasn't played in the IPL since 2016, and hasn't played in the BBL since 2015. No other franchise cricket has been played, yet he continuously gets selected in the T20 squads
Cummins hasn't played BBL since 2019. And Hazlewood took a break from T20 cricket from 2014 to 2020.

they prob picked cause theyre the best test bowlers, parlay into F50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they prob picked cause theyre the best test bowlers, parlay into F50.
But what does this say to the bowlers who are trying their best in the BBL? It's okay, we will let you play shits and gigs in Bangers, and then you'll be replaced by three men that haven't played domestic T20 cricket for the World Cup. That is piss poor by CA and BBL

But what does this say to the bowlers who are trying their best in the BBL? It's okay, we will let you play shits and gigs in Bangers, and then you'll be replaced by three men that haven't played domestic T20 cricket for the World Cup. That is piss poor by CA and BBL
i do not disagree.

it took a whole for australia to get with the concept that test players arent necessarily the best F50 ones.

Perhaps this is history repeating.

Wait, are you criticising the selection of bowlers who just won the World Cup? Including one who took the second-most wickets of any fast bowler, and made the team of the tournament?

We all love to bag selectors but I think they got this one right

i do not disagree.

it took a whole for australia to get with the concept that test players arent necessarily the best F50 ones.

Perhaps this is history repeating.
They tried to replicate the Warner transition as much as possible, and then them giving Maxy Test selection and expecting him to anchor ODI games.
I still think that if they put some effort into Chris Lynn, he could have opened for Australia in T20, but they wanted him for the ODI squad, and then thought he wasn't capable of international cricket.
Wait, are you criticising the selection of bowlers who just won the World Cup? Including one who took the second-most wickets of any fast bowler, and made the team of the tournament?

We all love to bag selectors but I think they got this one right
I'm not saying that is wasn't a bad selection, it worked (somehow). However if you are picking people on form and domestic T20 performance, those three bowlers should not have been picked. It also goes to show that no matter how well these BBL players perform, they will never go anywhere beyond the BBL

They should do back to back games too every now and again (a team plays 2 games in 2 nights), can't really think of any reason that they don't do that.

They should do back to back games too every now and again (a team plays 2 games in 2 nights), can't really think of any reason that they don't do that.

Just look at the Stars the other day, Clarke had to bat 7 because he couldn’t back up from the night before. That was ridiculous playing the night before then an early game the ne t day…

They tried to replicate the Warner transition as much as possible, and then them giving Maxy Test selection and expecting him to anchor ODI games.
I still think that if they put some effort into Chris Lynn, he could have opened for Australia in T20, but they wanted him for the ODI squad, and then thought he wasn't capable of international cricket.

I'm not saying that is wasn't a bad selection, it worked (somehow). However if you are picking people on form and domestic T20 performance, those three bowlers should not have been picked. It also goes to show that no matter how well these BBL players perform, they will never go anywhere beyond the BBL
These are the last dozen or so players to debut for Australia in T20I. Every single one was picked off BBL form.

Screenshot_20220115-170657.png

it is interesting that the test players cant play in this because they are busy with internatonals.

haze, cummins, starc when was the last time they played in the league. they are automatic choices for the international t20 matches based on....?
Based on cricket is cricket and you play your best players. Seemed to work at the most recent World Cup.

It’s professional sport. Play your best players in the games that matter. Simply not feasible with player schedules to have the all play bilateral T20s.

Bilateral T20s are meaningless junk anyway. Should just be a T20s World Cup every few years.

How many of them got proper game time in the T20 WC last year ?
View attachment 1311548
Players were selected for Australia on the basis of their BBL performances.

The selectors then chose others to play at the World Cup.

Those players then won the World Cup.

In what bizarre parallel universe of any of this worthy of criticism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back