AFLW Richmond v Melbourne Friday 14 January, 7.10pm Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I was hoping Reid would show more in the first few rounds. Looks a fair way off for a no. 4 draft pick

Gee I was hoping Reid would show more in the first few rounds. Looks a fair way off for a no. 4 draft pick

you should be looking at

0.jpg

before you look at a 2nd gamers output was
0.jpg

she tried hard against seasoned, mature players, what more can you ask, she's not at Ellie McK's level yet

Last edited:
according to AFLW, our best were
Lavey, Brennan, Conti, Seymour
0.jpg
Lavey is in her 2nd year & Seymour is in her 3rd year, Conti & Brennan have been playing for over 6 years at least
it's insane to think how good Lavey & Seymour are going to be in another 3 years

we got kissed on the dick with the peanuts we got them for
let's all be grateful for that

Last edited:

you should be looking at

View attachment 1311027

before you look at a 2nd gamers output was
View attachment 1311028

she tried hard against seasoned, mature players, what more can you ask, she's not at Ellie McK's level yet
Ss, LM KJ have always been part of the tail , Jacques had a few moments early she contributed , not enough though .
Quiet one from Jess hocking , still though Reid is off the pace of AFLW , that’s ok she’s straight out of u18

Agree lost a bit of that forward zip with Stahl and Yassir out.

Miller would've appreciated Darcy our there tonight, just thought she made a few too many errors.

I gotta mention Sarah Hosking, personally as a mid i dont think she is doing enough ave 11 disposals over the first 2 games (9 kicks and 13 handbells).
After Conti, it drops off rapidly. Of course, when Mackenzie gets back it gives us another star in the centre and hopefully allows Hosking and co to get off the leash.
D’Arcy and Shevlin return and replace a pair of newbs that had a kick between them , that’ll help no end . It’s not only they had 1 kick , they flounder simple s**t like dropping chest marks etc , dargan loses her feet every single time , every time it’s so frustrating to watch

yeah it was roughly a 6 minute burst in the 2nd Q that saw them get a handy lead, 7 scoring shots to 0, 7 frees to 0
Dargin, Jacques & Maddy Branc did well, cracked in hard, i'm pleased for them

Lynch tried hard, lacked polish & awareness, didn't see McClelland & Sansonetti tho
great courage from Macdonald, Jess Hosking & Miller need to clean up their disposals

Macdonald, S
according to AFLW, our best were
Lavey, Brennan, Conti, Seymour
View attachment 1311026
Lavey is in her 2nd year & Seymour is in her 3rd year, Conti & Brennan have been playing for over 6 years at least
it's insane to think how good Lavey & Seymour are going to be in another 3 years

we got kissed on the dick with the peanuts we got them for
let's all be grateful for that

Agree - Seymour and Lavey have been excellent picks. Picking elite athletes from other sports is the way to go with later picks.

We've been let down by our early picks unfortunately. Outside of McKenzie we haven't drafted another senior player. I have high hopes for Yassir though.

Alotve positives from that game.

Two things I noticed,
1. Just how much bigger Melbourne looked across the ground, bigger, taller bodies.
2. Those athletes that come from other sports : Seymour and Lavey you can see just how much more conditioned they are from coming from sports that play all year round.
Probably alotve our girls can lift as much, run as fast and for as long but in terms of being able to play, alotve our girls just don’t have the mileage yet.

They set up that second quarter I reckon, we were really good but maybe there was a bit of rope a dope for the first from them.

Tessa Lavey has leadership written all over her. She’s got that thing we’re she can lift and back off depending on the momentum. Top shelf.

Macdonald, S

Agree - Seymour and Lavey have been excellent picks. Picking elite athletes from other sports is the way to go with later picks.

We've been let down by our early picks unfortunately. Outside of McKenzie we haven't drafted another senior player. I have high hopes for Yassir though.
I wouldn’t write off Reid she’s only a kid and needs to fill out some , from u18 tapes she has the talent to get there , millzy has a way to go , let’s not go to early on her , she’s certain,y getting to the right spots and will click at some point with her speed agility and skill

Didn’t conti lead the tackle count last week in a game we dominated?

Just with 7, Brennan had 6 - it was her body work, blocking and shepherds that made it seem more dominant.

Alotve positives from that game.

Two things I noticed,
1. Just how much bigger Melbourne looked across the ground, bigger, taller bodies.
2. Those athletes that come from other sports : Seymour and Lavey you can see just how much more conditioned they are from coming from sports that play all year round.
Probably alotve our girls can lift as much, run as fast and for as long but in terms of being able to play, alotve our girls just don’t have the mileage yet.

They set up that second quarter I reckon, we were really good but maybe there was a bit of rope a dope for the first from them.

Tessa Lavey has leadership written all over her. She’s got that thing we’re she can lift and back off depending on the momentum. Top shelf.

good points Cdog71

1: best game i've seen Burchell & Dargan play

2: Miller needs to stop over thinking her options, just kick it long ala Dave Astbury, let other more skillful players make the play

3: Dees put Daisy down back for most of the last Q, to steady the ship, which she did

4: Reid has got a great when tackled technique, drops her knees and lets tackling player fall into her back, haven't seen her get HTB yet

5: Kiely in centre bounces & on the ball, worked well, she's got a mean tackle on her

6: have real concerns about the viability of Sansonetti & McClelland on our list, not much going on sadly

7: Wakefield had an almost day, just wouldn't click for her, you get that some days when nothing's going right, but didn't drop her head, cracked in & tackled, chased hard

I wouldn’t write off Reid she’s only a kid and needs to fill out some , from u18 tapes she has the talent to get there , millzy has a way to go , let’s not go to early on her , she’s certain,y getting to the right spots and will click at some point with her speed agility and skill

Reid will become a very good player - is already an elite reader of the game - just has to develop the confidence, fine tune her skills and get the pace of the game - has had just two games and does not look out of place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree lost a bit of that forward zip with Stahl and Yassir out.

Miller would've appreciated Darcy our there tonight, just thought she made a few too many errors.

I gotta mention Sarah Hosking, personally as a mid i dont think she is doing enough ave 11 disposals over the first 2 games (9 kicks and 13 handbells).
After Conti, it drops off rapidly. Of course, when Mackenzie gets back it gives us another star in the centre and hopefully allows Hosking and co to get off the leash.
Don’t mistake hosko as an A grader , she isn’t , adds grunt and contested ability for the sec tier type player.( 12-15p is about her go ) Last night we got very little from hosko , branc Dempsey and perhaps Kiely too . Melb got a much better contribution from their squad

good points Cdog71

1: best game i've seen Burchell & Dargan play

2: Miller needs to stop over thinking her options, just kick it long ala Dave Astbury, let other more skillful players make the play

3: Dees put Daisy down back for most of the last Q, to steady the ship, which she did

4: Reid has got a great when tackled technique, drops her knees and lets tackling player fall into her back, haven't seen her get HTB yet

5: Kiely in centre bounces & on the ball, worked well, she's got a mean tackle on her

6: have real concerns about the viability of Sansonetti & McClelland on our list, not much going on sadly

7: Wakefield had an almost day, just wouldn't click for her, you get that some days when nothing's going right, but didn't drop her head, cracked in & tackled, chased hard

1. Agree on Dargan - she surprised me. Burchell's good is almost wow at times (like that contested mark) and then she struggles to find someone with the ball.

2. Miller has such a booming kick too. I think she may have been told to try and use it better so it doesn't come straight back. We have some good runners, just needs to put it in space (advantage side) and let them run on to it.

3. Did it well Daisy

4. Reid is really growing as a player - Ok this game was only so-so, but look at her when near the ball, she makes such good position. We will learn to use her better.

5. Kiely got better as the game went on - has the occasional brain fade but her best so good and tough.

6. McClelland tried hard, made some errors, but she wasn't alone in the 2nd Qtr. Think she played as insurance to Gabby. Probably a mistake to let Alice Edmonds go and not get another tall option. Sansonetti has the job ahead.

7. Think Wakefield was out highest tackler so she worked hard.

Codi Jacques played out of her skin for the first few minutes, then very little.
Kate Dempsey is a very good user of the ball - just doesn't get it enough.
Christina Bernardi had a very average game - had a couple of opportunities
Loved Brennan's leadership - was pivotal at keeping us close enough

1. Agree on Dargan - she surprised me. Burchell's good is almost wow at times (like that contested mark) and then she struggles to find someone with the ball.

2. Miller has such a booming kick too. I think she may have been told to try and use it better so it doesn't come straight back. We have some good runners, just needs to put it in space (advantage side) and let them run on to it.

3. Did it well Daisy

4. Reid is really growing as a player - Ok this game was only so-so, but look at her when near the ball, she makes such good position. We will learn to use her better.

5. Kiely got better as the game went on - has the occasional brain fade but her best so good and tough.

6. McClelland tried hard, made some errors, but she wasn't alone in the 2nd Qtr. Think she played as insurance to Gabby. Probably a mistake to let Alice Edmonds go and not get another tall option. Sansonetti has the job ahead.

7. Think Wakefield was out highest tackler so she worked hard.

Codi Jacques played out of her skin for the first few minutes, then very little.
Kate Dempsey is a very good user of the ball - just doesn't get it enough.
Christina Bernardi had a very average game - had a couple of opportunities
Loved Brennan's leadership - was pivotal at keeping us close enough

Reid makes such good position

yeah saw that, probably a confidence thing of the kicker, hesitating to go to a newbie, which is understandable
i saw in the 1st game we kicked it a lot more to Yassir than Reid

a stat on disposal efficiency
Bernardi 41% 17d
Jess Hosking 40% 15d
D'Arcy 44% 9d
Stahl 16% 6d
Lynch 30% 10d

these players need to get it over 50% at least, otherwise we're wasting possession big time

Don’t mistake hosko as an A grader , she isn’t , adds grunt and contested ability for the sec tier type player.( 12-15p is about her go ) Last night we got very little from hosko , branc Dempsey and perhaps Kiely too . Melb got a much better contribution from their squad

Not mistaking her for an A grader, not sure anyone thinks that. I'm critiquing her on her output which has been below par for both games.
Quite simply, if they are going to use her as a starting mid 11 disposals doesn't cut it.

yeah saw that, probably a confidence thing of the kicker, hesitating to go to a newbie, which is understandable

Bernardi 41% 17d
Jess Hosking 40% 15d
D'Arcy 44% 9d
Stahl 16% 6d
Lynch 30% 10d

these players need to get it over 50% at least, otherwise we're wasting possession big time

Totally agree with this. The Dees were making long kicks mostly through the centre and hitting targets at will whereas we would miss simple 15 meter passes, resulting in turnovers.
If we can tidy up this part of our game up, watch out because we do have the run and carry game which has thus far served us well and have a lot of players who can put on pressure on the opposition but once the run and gun is curtailed, we need a plan B, control the ball, flick it around hitting targets going forward.
Melbourne did that, changed it up with many chip passes going fwd and we weren't manning up.

Bernardi 41% 17d
Jess Hosking 40% 15d
D'Arcy 44% 9d
Stahl 16% 6d
Lynch 30% 10d

Agree, and while the stats mean something over a decent sample of games, they mean a little less game by game. You can't always get the perfect outlet pass, sometimes you just have to kick it to advantage side space. And there are times when the kick just has to go forward and quick. That's where a better sample works well for this stat. The other important elements that that stat does not take into account properly is what effort has been made by a team mate to be an option and how good was the teammate in the contest for the ball receive.

Sometimes too much is made of the kicker getting a kick!

Last edited:

Got anything good to offer -am genuinely looking forward to reading it? We all want players to jump off the page - would have been great to get a Rowbottom or others, but Reid will be OK. Have you been to a game yet? - I haven't, bit hard from 2000ks away tbh. But anyone who has could you tell me how quiet or loud is Stella? - I get the feeling she is a bit more softly softly that the other girls perhaps, from what I see on the TV - and the reason I say this is how many good spots she gets to but isn't used.

Every player in every team is different - anyone who has played knows the dynamic can be hard to find in a game early on. Players are used to certain players, and when you are young to boot, that goes double.

They will be reviewing footage and there will be plenty of "why didn't we use Stella" in that situation? It'll come, the confidence, the preparedness. At least she is getting to good spots - cos we had/have a few that can't even do that!

Last edited:
D’Arcy and Shevlin return and replace a pair of newbs that had a kick between them , that’ll help no end . It’s not only they had 1 kick , they flounder simple sh*t like dropping chest marks etc , dargan loses her feet every single time , every time it’s so frustrating to watch

I was actually surprised by Dargan - was dreading her role to be honest but I thought she was OK without being among the best or anything silly like that.

D'arcy and Shevlin I think will team up brilliantly after half a dozen games together - they really have the scope to complement each other. We are probably too big down back when you also add Rebecca and Harry - with Jess Hosking being the likely drive by. I'd like to add Dempsey somehow to that back 5 to be a go-to coming out of the back line because she has very neat disposal. We have to stop it pinging back again. 2c worth

Last edited:
Looks like Courtney W will be out for a few with a shoulder,, bugga will really miss her presence
Is a bigger out than most might realise - I'm mean really, who fills that role, hit up lead, strong contested mark, strongest tackler, strong leadership figure? probably one of our hardest to cover, and when you do, what other void does that leave? Gives the Club something to consider that's for sure!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back