Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Highlighting your always moving goalposts isn't being sensitive, and we don't really need an explanation of your opinion because it's been pretty plain to see throughout the thread.

North players who have played more games/never played a game/been injured for 2 years and played minimal game = better.
Put yourself out there then, champ. The constant whinging about other peoples opinions is tiresome.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Put yourself out there then, champ. The constant whinging about other peoples opinions is tiresome.
In this order.
Defence
Day, Mckay, Butts, DGB and Hardwick
Mids
Simpkin, Worpel, LDU, Thomas and Shoenberg.
Rucks
Reeves, CCJ, Lynch, Xerri, Strachan.
Forwards
Thilthorpe, Larkey, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Kozi.
Best guess. I have seen all these guys play. I left out recent draft picks and guys I have never seen before.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In this order.
Defence
Mids
Rucks
Forwards
Best guess. I have seen all these guys play. I left out recent draft picks and guys I have never seen before.
Scrimshaw?
Lewis?
Moore?

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Powell?
Phillips?
JHF?
Exactly.
I tried to steer clear of last 2 years draft picks and focus on players who have played a few more games.
I could have listed 15 mids.
Rucks were the easiest. Most clubs only have a few on there lists who have played.
Forwards the hardest as TBH outside Larkey no one at any club is really proven.
Defenders were pretty easy. Day, McKay and Butts are clearly the best.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In this order.
Defence
Mids
Rucks
Forwards

Fair enough order Butt-Man, although I’d eat dog vomit before putting Worpel before Tarryn.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair enough order Butt, although I’d eat dog vomit before putting Worpel before Tarryn.
As a mid he has shown a bit more than Tarryn.
I expect Thomas to go past him this year. But at this stage Worpel has a better record.
If we were discussing ceilings Worpel wouldn't even make the list.

In this order.
Defence
Mids
Rucks
Forwards
Hardwick nearly 25, so I'd take him out. Jiath Scrimshaw Moore and Lewis need to be in there somewhere.

I'm not really interested in a pissing contest.

I've said numerous times that I think North and Hawk should be pleased with their list builds, even when they're at different stages, but I will continue to highlight your obvious bias, sorry.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have a crack.
Its actually quite fun.
I don't have any of those blokes top 5.
Scrimshaw was closest. But if I put him in it would be for Hardwick which you would then have a problem with.
The others are not even close.
Is it in order best to worse or no?

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In this order.
Defence
Mids
Rucks
Forwards
If Larkey is there, Lewis should be, i'd take Lewis > Kossie aswell.

Jiath was another i forgot to mention who would be in the defense for someone, Hardwick could go out as he's almost 25 (the best out of them all anyway).
Scrimshaw ^

And with forwards, Moore should be there, i'd say Stephenson is more a mid-wing (his best games were all as a mid).

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
It's hard to go past the depth of North Melbourne when assessing whose list is best.

Getting the bookends set by Adelaide may very well help accelerate the re build whilst Hawthorn are kinda neither hear nor there. They probably got the best top end talent amongst the three lists but fall away sharply the most.

Will be fascinating to see how these three go over the next 36 months as the odds of all three becoming top 4 sides is very unlikely but will be interesting viewing none the less.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In this order.
Defence
Mids
Rucks
Forwards
If in order, Hardwick is the best of all defenders (elite one on one) while his statistics and impact rebounding, marking and overall disposals and efficiency aswell.

I reckon you’re behind both.

Thilthorpe is clearly a huge talent, but to say that he’s enough to cover North’s Larkey/CCJ/Stevenson/Zurhar and Hawthorn’s Koschitzke/Lewis/Moore/Brockman is a bit much at this stage.

That's because you're valuing the wrong things.

Is Thilthorpe enough to be worth more than all of them combined at this point in time, and give Adelaide the best forwardline out of the three, prospect wise? without a doubt. After all, the only thing that matters at this point in is raw talent, because the goal for all three of our sides is to load up with enough high end talent to sustain a premiership push long term. Right now, Thilthorpe is the only player out of the eight you've listed who has shown he's on a superstar track. Whilst some of the others have shown they're going to have a good career at an AFL level (Larkey/Stephenson/Kochitzke), they're not in the same ball park. Relatively, they're overvaluing the easy part, which is finding the solid players to surround your stars.

The difference at this point in time is even shown in the fact that Adelaide's challenge in the forward line is completely different to Hawks/North. Adelaide is just how do we make the most of a superstar talent? Hawks/North are how do we circumvent that we don't have it?

It evens up if either North/Hawks find an equivalent talent to Thilthorpe, or if Thilthorpe stagnates. Whilst those two aren't true, Adelaide having the best forward line is as settled as North having the best midfield, prospect wise.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not really interested in a pissing contest.

I've said numerous times that I think North and Hawk should be pleased with their list builds, even when they're at different stages, but I will continue to highlight your obvious bias, sorry.

Isn’t interested in a pissing contest.

Has been arguing the legitimacy of Lewis’ avg. statistics for 6 weeks.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
DGB? Literally done a smidge above nothing at AFL level.

Thilthorpe? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan but you have him the best based on output?
Thilthorpes output as an 18 year old was far above Larkeys. He has already kicked a bag. It took larkey 3 ish years
After Day, McKay and Butts I dont think many are very good at all three clubs as far a defenders go. DGB 100% isnt a spud. so he gets the guernsy.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But then Powell’s firstbyear was better than all of the those mids first year other than maybe worpel.
Not for games played and exposed form.
Playing half the season does not stack up against blokes who can now run a full game out.
All those blokes I picked will be full time mids this year. The mids are hard to choose not like the other lines.
While Powell was great last year he was by no means the best rookie ever. He has a lot to prove just yet.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not for games played and exposed form.
Playing half the season does not stack up against blokes who can now run a full game out.
All those blokes I picked will be full time mids this year. The mids are hard to choose not like the other lines.
While Powell was great last year he was by no means the best rookie ever. He has a lot to prove just yet.

Sure, I’m not saying Powell is the best rookie ever. Not that he doesn’t have much left to prove, as the vast majority of players that we are talking about.

But how can you have Thilthorpe who played 14 games but not Powell on 13 games, when using output at afl level as sole criteria. As I said previously, if your using projection then by all means.

Similarly Powell vs Schoenberg. Powell was easily better than Schoenberg in their respective first years. He was better than LDU, Simpkin and Thomas too.

It just seems that, as many have said in relation to many others rankings, we’re all just using our own formulas and picking and choosing what we want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back