Best grand final of the modern era (since 1998)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1998

• Total voters

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Which grand final is the best grand final of the modern era and why? I've included grand finals from 1998 onwards as that's how many grand finals the forum allows me to include in the poll.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Dees v Dogs, has to be.
Best football played ever, fairytale ending, Fritsch kicking 6 first time since ever in a grand final, and Petracca playing an all-time great game.

2011 and 2008 are my other favourites.

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
The previous year was a typical Paul Roos coached game saved for Leo Barry’s mark. Amazing contest with Judd, Cousins, Cox and Kerr on fire. The last quarter was one of the best last quarters in V/AFL grand final history with the Eagles hanging on to win by a point.

The defending premier not the preferred victor among the media and general public. Many wanting "Buddy's Swans" to get the victory. The deck was stacked against the Hawks. But on a perfect day for football, Hawthorn shut down the Swans gameplan, while executing their own to perfection scoring the upset victory and going back to back!

Hands down the best game of AFL football I have ever seen.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle

The defending premier not the preferred victor among the media and general public. Many wanting "Buddy's Swans" to get the victory. The deck was stacked against the Hawks. But on a perfect day for football, Hawthorn shut down the Swans gameplan, while executing their own to perfection scoring the upset victory and going back to back!

Don’t ever let that chip off your shoulder go!!

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Deck was stacked against the hawks?

Really?

Were you playing it in sydney on sydneys home ground?

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
The defending premier not the preferred victor among the media and general public.
Just like 2013 too hey?.. according to hawks supporters you weren’t the preferred premier then either !

Some going as so far as to try and rewrite history and pretend that the hawks were in fact underdogs going into that game despite NO betting agencies/media anywhere, ever, having hawks underdogs.

Imagine the media also promoting the opposition and not simply fawning over the HFC and it’s supporters in absolute adulation!!… the audacity!!!

Hopefully they ll make a movie someday about the great David and Goliath battle of the HFC waged against (and won)the AFL/media/non vic sides/anyone else who ever didn’t fawn over the HFC

Maybe then insecure hawks fans can move on….

Just like 2013 too hey?.. according to hawks supporters you weren’t the preferred premier then either !

Imagine the media also promoting the opposition and not simply fawning over the HFC and it’s supporters in absolute adulation!!… the audacity!!!

Hopefully they ll make a movie someday about the great David and Goliath battle of the HFC waged against (and won)the AFL/media/non vic sides/anyone else who ever didn’t fawn over the HFC

Maybe then insecure hawks fans can move on….

According to the media Hawthorn were no match for Freo's manic pressure or the Eagle's web in 2015...............

Back