Casual mentions of Australia in films

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
In the movie 'Last Night In Soho' lead character Ellie gets a job in a London pub, where her boss is an Irish lady played by Pauline McLynn, best known as Mrs. Doyle from 'Father Ted'. There are a variety of beers on tap in the bar, but one that stands out prominently is a tap that has the very distinct Fosters logo.
Foster's is in heaps of UK stuff.

Inbetweeners and Layer Cake come to mind, but there'd be more.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
In the recently released Scream movie (Scream 5) one of the characters Tara gets a call from the Ghostface killer asking her if she liked scary movies and what her favorite scary movie was. Amazingly, her answer was 'The Babadook', an obscure Australian horror film from 2014. I thought that movie would be unknown outside of Australia and New Zealand.

In the recently released Scream movie (Scream 5) one of the characters Tara gets a call from the Ghostface killer asking her if she liked scary movies and what her favorite scary movie was. Amazingly, her answer was 'The Babadook', an obscure Australian horror film from 2014. I thought that movie would be unknown outside of Australia and New Zealand.
Was pretty popular in the States apparently

I thought there was a brief mention of Bryan Brown's character's background???
Must be tripping.

Another weird Aussie character was Three Billboards- Woody Harrelson's wife, she had an Aussie accent, yet pretty bizarre scenario when you think about it.
Harrison’s wife was a strange one. Played by Abby Cornish using her Australian accent with no explanation of how she came to be in such a backwater town. Odd too because Cornish can , and has, “talked American “.
On the other hand , I heard an inter view with ONJ on being approached to play Sandy in Grease and she told them “but I can’t talk American “ they said “no problem, we’ll make her Australian “

Last edited:
Harrison’s wife was a strange one. Played by Abby Cornish using her Australian accent with no explanation of how she came to be in such a backwater town. Odd too because Cornish can , and has, “talked American “.
On the other hand , I heard an inter view with ONJ on being approached to play Sandy in Grease and she told them “but I can’t talk American “ they said “no problem, we’ll make her Australian “

Exactly! Thought it was extremely weird.

Re. Grease at least there was an explanation, due to Danny holidaying in Australia over his summer. /altho I reckon that'd be a massive stretch back then, most Americans would generally take a vacation somewhere in the States.

Nov 17, 2012
22 Acacia Ave.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pistons, Bills
Exactly! Thought it was extremely weird.

Re. Grease at least there was an explanation, due to Danny holidaying in Australia over his summer. /altho I reckon that'd be a massive stretch back then, most Americans would generally take a vacation somewhere in the States.
It was Sandy holidaying in the states and her family having a change of plans sees her staying in the states.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
One of the TV shows my dad watches I think it was NCIS had an episode with a U.S marine soldier that had returned from being stationed out in Darwin.

I only flicked through all the pages so apologies if it's been mentioned but the other guys has a big security guard who is meant to be Australian but has an accident resembling more south African. He mentions kylie Minogue. Also in the movie will Farrell's character has reminiscing by little river band on repeat in his cd player. Even though lrb aren't Australian anymore.

Random one here, anyone watched Titans on Netflix? A few Aussies in the cast including the main character who plays Dick Grayson (also Rachel/Raven and Connor/Superboy are Aussies)

There is a scene in season 3 ep 8 (I just looked it up to try get a screen shot but the Netflix app obviously blocks screen grabs as it didn't work) where they are at Wayne Manor and on a bench in the kitchen there are ingredients out to make a sandwich and there is a jar of Vegemite open on the bench

One of the TV shows my dad watches I think it was NCIS had an episode with a U.S marine soldier that had returned from being stationed out in Darwin.

I only flicked through all the pages so apologies if it's been mentioned but the other guys has a big security guard who is meant to be Australian but has an accident resembling more south African. He mentions kylie Minogue. Also in the movie will Farrell's character has reminiscing by little river band on repeat in his cd player. Even though lrb aren't Australian anymore.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Random one here, anyone watched Titans on Netflix? A few Aussies in the cast including the main character who plays Dick Grayson (also Rachel/Raven and Connor/Superboy are Aussies)

There is a scene in season 3 ep 8 (I just looked it up to try get a screen shot but the Netflix app obviously blocks screen grabs as it didn't work) where they are at Wayne Manor and on a bench in the kitchen there are ingredients out to make a sandwich and there is a jar of Vegemite open on the bench

Haven't seen the show but have been watching vikings and I've noticed quite a few Aussies, including the main character. Vikings don't have Vegemite, may have had something similar who knows.

Haven't seen the show but have been watching vikings and I've noticed quite a few Aussies, including the main character. Vikings don't have Vegemite, may have had something similar who knows.

Untitled1.jpg

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
On Wikipedia's "List of films set in Australia", they are listing Independence Day among them. I have not seen this film since it came out in 1996 but I do not recall any Australian references or connection with the film's plot? Is this one of Wikipedia's blunders?
Sydney Opera House with a crashed UFO in the background, at the very end of the movie.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sydney Opera House with a crashed UFO in the background, at the very end of the movie.

Talking about the disaster movies not sure day after tomorrow has been mentioned, pretty sure Sydney Opera house gets a go in that movie, might have just been the promotion poster. I do remember seeing the weather clear with clouds over Melbourne, so nothing unusual.

Talking about the disaster movies not sure day after tomorrow has been mentioned, pretty sure Sydney Opera house gets a go in that movie, might have just been the promotion poster. I do remember seeing the weather clear with clouds over Melbourne, so nothing unusual.

Yep just a promotion video. Would have been epic CGI to see it in the movie.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely its been brought up before but my first thought was the scene in Rain Man where Dustin Hoffman's character only wanted to fly on a Qantas plane due to them never having a fatality, and Tom Cruise's character understandably lose shis s**t at the idea of flying from the US to Sydney and then flying back to wherever they were headed in the US.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Surely its been brought up before but my first thought was the scene in Rain Man where Dustin Hoffman's character only wanted to fly on a Qantas plane due to them never having a fatality, and Tom Cruise's character understandably lose shis sh*t at the idea of flying from the US to Sydney and then flying back to wherever they were headed in the US.

It has been mentioned accept he said Melbourne not Sydney. A very important detail.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is not from a film or a TV show, but it is footage. Neil Young most definitely seems to be wearing the Aboriginal flag on his T-shirt at this concert from 2009.

Back