Opinion Best player in the game going into 2022?

Who is the best player in the competition going into 2022

• Bontempelli

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Oliver

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Petracca

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Martin

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Greene

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 44 16.3%

• Total voters

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m having a few beers with a few mates and we are debating who the best player in the game is going into the new season.

Can we get some neutrals opinions? I’m drinking with a Melbourne and Tigers supporter and would like the big footy members have their opinion.

Basically debating it between Bontempelli, Oliver, Petracca,Martin and Toby Greene!

Not who has the better career, who is the best going into 2022?

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Greene or Martin last for me.

For eg in 2021 Greene was a 17 disposal 45 goal player in a year he made AA. Petracca was almost 30 and 30.

Greene's a great player, but generational midfield types who kick goals and are constantly impacting the contest at the coalface are more valuable.

Martin also now slips down the list based on output.

Last edited:

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Sam Walsh
George Hewett
Marcus Bontempelli
Max Gawn
Christian Petracca

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
-Bont for mine
-Petracca making up ground rapidly
-Martin previously but injuries last year have pegged him back
I think there's a compelling argument that Petracca has shaded Bontempelli the last two years, but I understand your sentiment.

I suspect Bontempelli wins more from sustained performance over a longer period and general hype, but over the last two years combined Petracca's performance is more than a match.

Bontempelli has played 44 games to Petracca's 42 in that time.

Petracca averages more disposals (26.9-24.3), more marks (4.38-3.7), has kicked more goals (44-42 from 2 less games), more inside 50s (5.7-5.6), more score involvements (7.5-6.4), more metres gained (472-462), more marks inside 50 (0.9-0.68), and more contested possessions (13.4-10.6).

Bontempelli averages a fraction more goal assists (0.79-0.76) and clearances (5.4-5.3) and is well ahead on tackles (4.86-3.76). That's it.

So for disposals, marks, goals, and contested possessions Petracca has him covered while they're almost identical in clearances.

In the x-factor/brilliance metric they're similar with Petracca perhaps more the inside bull who bursts clear from stoppages.

For those that like their Brownlow stats (terrible way to judge) they both have 43 votes from 39 games over the last two years.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think there's a compelling argument that Petracca has shaded Bontempelli the last two years, but I understand your sentiment.

I suspect Bontempelli wins more from sustained performance over a longer period and general hype, but over the last two years combined Petracca's performance is more than a match.

Bontempelli has played 44 games to Petracca's 42 in that time.

Petracca averages more disposals (26.9-24.3), more marks (4.38-3.7), has kicked more goals (44-42 from 2 less games), more inside 50s (5.7-5.6), more score involvements (7.5-6.4), more metres gained (472-462), more marks inside 50 (0.9-0.68), and more contested possessions (13.4-10.6).

Bontempelli averages a fraction more goal assists (0.79-0.76) and clearances (5.4-5.3) and is well ahead on tackles (4.86-3.76). That's it.

So for disposals, marks, goals, and contested possessions Petracca has him covered while they're almost identical in clearances.

In the x-factor/brilliance metric they're similar with Petracca perhaps more the inside bull who bursts clear from stoppages.

For those that like their Brownlow stats (terrible way to judge) they both have 43 votes from 39 games over the last two years.
And Oliver?

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
And Oliver?
Most Melbourne supporters would vote for Oliver ahead of Petracca.

I try to split them but find it hard.

Petracca has more sheer brillinace and scoreboard impact, while also being top 5 for contested posessions, and Oliver having elevated his game to be more damaging by foot and spread than year's gone by. And Oliver is the contested possession king with the most incredible hands inside a phone box.

They may go down as best ever Demon mids in 8 years time.

Flip a coin.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m having a few beers with a few mates and we are debating who the best player in the game is going into the new season.

Can we get some neutrals opinions? I’m drinking with a Melbourne and Tigers supporter and would like the big footy members have their opinion.

Basically debating it between Bontempelli, Oliver, Petracca,Martin and Toby Greene!

Not who has the better career, who is the best going into 2022?
Petracca. Can’t look past his last game.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All these people voting other! Would like to know who the players they think are the best in the competition?

Max Gawn? Ollie Wines?

I’d remove Petracca from the list and put Fyfe in there. Guy is a superstar who plays in a team which is improving, but, they are still a lower half performing team which means he doesn’t gain the attention he once did when they were winning a lot more.

And i know it will get get howled down as a comment with bias, but if i am taking anyone in the league as the one player to get the job done when required, it’s still Dusty. Absolute lethal weapon. And he is looking fit as * going by the pre season shots. Gaining weight etc etc.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Greene or Martin last for me.

For eg in 2021 Greene was a 17 disposal 45 goal player in a year he made AA. Petracca was almost 30 and 30.

Greene's a great player, but generational midfield types who kick goals and are constantly impacting the contest at the coalface are more valuable.

Martin also now slips down the list based on output.
Greene has someone sit on him every minute of every game. Also Petracca kicked 29 and played 7 more games then Greene. On averages if Greene had played the same amount of games he would’ve kicked ~63.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Clayton Oliver
Sam Walsh
Christian Petracca
Marcus Bontempelli
Max Gawn
Tom Stewart