Ashes 2021/22

Green might be an outside chance if he knocks up ascore today and gets his series average above 40.

His bowling stats are fantastic.

No chance. Was poor with the bat for 3 tests

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Two things. you can tell near all series the green nature of most pitches affected the batting. The other thing was how well our tail batted on them, hence we got decent scores still. Also notice that every position in our line up down to number 11 did better than the English openers.

Attachments

• Averages.jpg
    Averages.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 50

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Two things. you can tell near all series the green nature of most pitches affected the batting. The other thing was how well our tail batted on them, hence we got decent scores still. Also notice that every position in our line up down to number 11 did better than the English openers.

I know people are wedded to the idea that top 6-7 for runs, then pick the best four bowlers, but the tail wagging won us a few matches this series.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Can't help but notice you have deleted your comments regarding Head only going well on easy tracks from earlier this week?
Did I.. dont recall. I have not changed my views on Head. While he shows some technical improvement he is still not a solid Test batsman. He lacks patience and concentration to be that. Reading Cummins has given Head a license to attack as he, like the rest of us knows, he cant bat time. I figured that was the case as his two game changing tons were of the run a ball, see and hit white ball variety. He knew the correct time to push the button was when the ball was not doing much, England had a depleted attack with a couple of bowlers cooked and lame duck spinners.

I also posted this.
Head's second ton for the series. Gotta hand it to the SAussie skipper, as he has this knack of reading when it is time to revert the pressure back onto the opposition. Travis and Marnus changed the tone of the first Test in a matter of 10 overs. In the last likewise with he and Cam Green.

Last edited:

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Did I.. dont recall. I have not changed my views on Head. While he shows some technical improvement he is still not a solid Test batsman. He lacks the patience and concentration for that. Evidently Cummins has given Head a license to attack as he, like the rest of us knows he cant bat time. His two tons in the series were game changers but they were a product of his white ball background. He knew the correct time to push the button was when the ball was not doing much, England had a depleted attack with a couple of bowlers cooked and a lame duck spinner.

Ah yes the mercurial Travis.....can score a hundred in a session but can also knick off for nothing and play a dumb shot

That's what we are going to get with Travis Baggy I think we just have to be patient with him.....his best is brilliant and his worse looks village. I am a little considered with the short ball though...jumping around with feet in the air is not a good look...but he's not the only one I have issues with our top six playing genuine pace and the short ball this series.

I think trav has to play his natural game....which is to play his shots I don't think he is going to be a batter that is going to be a dour and fight for every scrap aka S Waugh

Its the balance we have to be patient with the natural flair/with the dumb shots.....because the upside is very good

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Did I.. dont recall. I have not changed my views on Head. While he shows some technical improvement he is still not a solid Test batsman. He lacks patience and concentration to be that. Reading Cummins has given Head a license to attack as he, like the rest of us knows, he cant bat time. I figured that was the case as his two game changing tons were of the run a ball, see and hit white ball variety. He knew the correct time to push the button was when the ball was not doing much, England had a depleted attack with a couple of bowlers cooked and lame duck spinners.

I also posted this.
Head's second ton for the series. Gotta hand it to the SAussie skipper, as he has this knack of reading when it is time to revert the pressure back onto the opposition. Travis and Marnus changed the tone of the first Test in a matter of 10 overs. In the last likewise with he and Cam Green.

Ah yes the mercurial Travis.....can score a hundred in a session but can also knick off for nothing and play a dumb shot

That's what we are going to get with Travis Baggy I think we just have to be patient with him.....his best is brilliant and his worse looks village. I am a little considered with the short ball though...jumping around with feet in the air is not a good look...but he's not the only one I have issues with our top six playing genuine pace and the short ball this series.

I think trav has to play his natural game....which is to play his shots I don't think he is going to be a batter that is going to be a dour and fight for every scrap aka S Waugh

Its the balance we have to be patient with the natural flair/with the dumb shots.....because the upside is very good

I personally don't have any issue with Travis Head RE the short ball - he murdered ENG at the GABBA partially because they bowled too short at him. To get him out you have to play on his patience - i.e. tie him up for a bit and then throw a full, wide one out. He's not unlike Shane Watson in that you can usually back him to get a start, but you could also back him to get himself out afterwards.

His technique is less than orthodox so I always had doubts about his ability to contribute heavily in swing/seam friendly conditions, but his hundred at Hobart was something else. I had no idea he had that in him, even after his GABBA blitz.

Agree that he's definitely more effective counterattacking than he is at stabilising an innings, and in an ideal side he'd be a #6. I also think that, while he's secured his place in the side for quite a while now, his shelf life might be relatively short (maybe having passed his peak by age 32 or thereabouts, and definitely by 35) because he relies heavily on his eye.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Marcus Harris has 7700 FC runs, averages 54, highest score 250 with 19x100's and 31x50's - yet can't make runs in test cricket..!

Frankly, this almost seems implausible..? Australia's 'Graeme Hick' 30 years later...

Harris and Hick aren't comparable IMO.

Hick's problems were mostly temperamental and exacerbated by circumstances, whereas Harris' problems are very much technical. He doesn't get far enough forward, so he edges deliveries he should be driving, and he misjudges length so he doesn't play the bouncer as well as he should. Plus he isn't particularly good against spin bowling.

His temperament is fine, and he's good against short, wide stuff - he'd receive more of that at FC level than at Test level, so that would explain much of the disparity. Also FC attacks are less capable of honing in on his weakness outside offstump, and he doesn't play high-quality spin bowling (possible exception of Swepson) at FC level either.

Now Shaun Marsh and Hick, there's a comparison.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Hick's problems were mostly temperamental and exacerbated by circumstances, whereas Harris' problems are very much technical. He doesn't get far enough forward, so he edges deliveries he should be driving, and he misjudges length so he doesn't play the bouncer as well as he should. Plus he isn't particularly good against spin bowling.

His temperament is fine, and he's good against short, wide stuff - he'd receive more of that at FC level than at Test level, so that would explain much of the disparity. Also FC attacks are less capable of honing in on his weakness outside offstump, and he doesn't play high-quality spin bowling (possible exception of Swepson) at FC level either.

Also Harris averages 39 in first class cricket not 54, no idea where the 54 came from, he is what he is. If anything he’s more comparable to Shaun marsh, first class records ok, but not elite, and then in tests not quite there (Shaun marsh had his moments though).

Hick is on another level again to those guys, completely elite first class record, was thought to be England’s saviour coming into the test side in 1991, then only goes on to average 32 in test cricket.

Out of Australians who didn’t translate to test level Bevan probably the closest comparison to Hick.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Also Harris averages 39 in first class cricket not 54, no idea where the 54 came from, he is what he is. If anything he’s more comparable to Shaun marsh, first class records ok, but not elite, and then in tests not quite there (Shaun marsh had his moments though).

Hick is on another level again to those guys, completely elite first class record, was thought to be England’s saviour coming into the test side in 1991, then only goes on to average 32 in test cricket.

Out of Australians who didn’t translate to test level Bevan probably the closest comparison to Hick.

Shaun Marsh and Hick are more comparable in that they had the ability to score runs in all conditions when switched on, but too often temperamental/mental issues hindered them. When Marsh was on, look out. When he wasn't, he'd just look disoriented before just lamely poking at the ball, as if his mind was elsewhere.

Matthew Elliott is a good analogy for Hick as well. Both enormously talented, but prone to self-doubt and in Elliott's case, was hindered by injury.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

I’m glad to see you agree that Nathan Lyon isn’t a high quality spin bowler 😉

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I’m glad to see you agree that Nathan Lyon isn’t a high quality spin bowler 😉

Haha, nice catch.

But Harris wouldn't have faced him the Shield all that much - Lyon's been in the AUS team for over a decade now (did anyone here really believe he'd last that long way back when?).

Haha, nice catch.

But Harris wouldn't have faced him the Shield all that much - Lyon's been in the AUS team for over a decade now (did anyone here really believe he'd last that long way back when?).
He regularly plays Shield cricket.

Back