Opinion Best player in the game going into 2022?

Who is the best player in the competition going into 2022

• Bontempelli

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Oliver

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Petracca

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Martin

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Greene

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 44 16.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sean Darcy will be the best player going into 2023

Going into this season I think Petracca and Bont with Sam Walsh rapidly catching up

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would have Oliver last out of those 5 players as the others can play as legitimate forwards and Oliver can't turn a game like the others but no disrepect intended to Oliver.

Respect your opinion but Oliver is better than Petracca. most dees fans believe this and the coaches believe this too as well as the dees coaches after winning our best and fairest. He may not be able to go forward but he is comfortably the best midfielder in this list of names.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Respect your opinion but Oliver is better than Petracca. most dees fans believe this and the coaches believe this too as well as the dees coaches after winning our best and fairest. He may not be able to go forward but he is comfortably the best midfielder in this list of names.
I've seen him get 40 possessions in losing games , if Petracca plays well you usually win.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I've seen him get 40 possessions in losing games , if Petracca plays well you usually win.
I think you are talking about their absolute best games where yes I’d say Petracca is better but Oliver plays well virtually every week so he is still going to have losses when he plays well. Petracca played well in all their losses this season too and the season before they missed finals even with Pertracca having probably a better season. I don’t know how that’s really a knock on him.

I’d remove Petracca from the list and put Fyfe in there. Guy is a superstar who plays in a team which is improving, but, they are still a lower half performing team which means he doesn’t gain the attention he once did when they were winning a lot more.
Fyfe won a Brownlow while Fremantle were a bottom half team, nothing to do with the team’s performance, Fyfe’s past 2 years have been well below his best.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Greene has someone sit on him every minute of every game. Also Petracca kicked 29 and played 7 more games then Greene. On averages if Greene had played the same amount of games he would’ve kicked ~63.
One plays 70% mid and the other is a full time forward.

One plays every game and the other has terrible discipline that costs his team.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
One plays 70% mid and the other is a full time forward.

One plays every game and the other has terrible discipline that costs his team

Yeh so why were you trying to manipulate stats then?
Greene kicks twice as many goals so trying to draw a comparison is a little silly by you.
I mean Petracca for instance has kicked more then 2 goals in a game only twice in two years. He does a brilliant job at hitting the scoreboard but his not tearing teams apart from it. He is a forward of centre mid that rests forward who for instance has about 400% less rebound 50’s then Oliver so you would somewhat expect him to hit the scoreboard.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Yeh so why were you trying to manipulate stats then?
Greene kicks twice as many goals so trying to draw a comparison is a little silly by you.
I mean Petracca for instance has kicked more then 2 goals in a game only twice in two years. He does a brilliant job at hitting the scoreboard but his not tearing teams apart from it. He is a forward of centre mid that rests forward who for instance has about 400% less rebound 50’s then Oliver so you would somewhat expect him to hit the scoreboard.
I'm highlighting ''value'' to a team.

One, a permanent forward, has never kicked more than 40 odd goals in his career, and the other, a midfielder, kicks almost 30 goals (29) from the midfield, while also leading the competition in ''score involvements''.

Greene is a great player, but the most valuable players in the league are the contested bulls in the midfield who kick goals.

True to form, you're about the only person capable of disagreeing with that.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

One, a permanent forward, has never kicked more than 40 odd goals in his career, and the other, a midfielder, kicks almost 30 goals (29) from the midfield, while also leading the competition in ''score involvements''.

Greene is a great player, but the most valuable players in the league are the contested bulls in the midfield who kick goals.

Is that right? The 40 odd goals bit? A bit surprised by that. In a team that has made finals generally from about 2016. I guess he has been a bit suspension impacted though

pride of the West

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
If it's only for a year it has to be Dustin Martin as he is probably the greatest finals player in history.
Mate it won’t be as dusty has only been great while Richmond have been winning haven’t seen him do it when they missed finals witch they could do. Definitely a great finals record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It’s because he never plays enough games as a forward because he gets suspended or injured and also played midfield earlier on in his career. In those two years he played 18 and 19 games compared to say 25 prom Pickett.
Yeah I figured. Didn’t have stats to hand on injury and suspension.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If Touk Miller starts off with any sort of improvement on last year he’s going to be in the conversation very soon. Flew under the radar massively last season.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

Well yes if you don’t take averages into consideration. He also averaged .04 more score involvements then Greene this season while Greene had the equivalent of a tagger on him every week.

I agree those inside, forward of centre of mids like Dusty, Petracca and Bont play the most important role in the game but they also should be hitting the scoreboard because they aren’t getting back and helping the backline like Oliver for example. I just think if you only kick more then two goals twice in two years you’re not really causing headaches with your goal kicking you are just fulfilling the role you should probably do.

For me it’s splitting hairs at the top atm. For me Dusty’s best is the best and Oliver’s the best over the course of the season.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Well yes if you don’t take averages into consideration. He also averaged .04 more score involvements then Greene this season while Greene had the equivalent of a tagger on him every week.

I agree those inside, forward of centre of mids like Dusty, Petracca and Bont play the most important role in the game but they also should be hitting the scoreboard because they aren’t getting back and helping the backline like Oliver for example. I just think if you only kick more then two goals twice in two years you’re not really causing headaches with your goal kicking you are just fulfilling the role you should probably do.

For me it’s splitting hairs at the top atm. For me Dusty’s best is the best and Oliver’s the best over the course of the season.
Midfield stars to never kick ''more'' than 29 goals in a season.

Buckley, Judd, Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell, Simon Black, Robert Harvey, Ben Cousins (first yr kicked 34 as a small fwd), Fyfe and plenty more. Neale and Oliver are guns but have never kicked more than 14 and 12. Tom Mitchell and Cripps the same.

29/29 (disposals/Goals) is nothing to sneeze at and difficult to achieve. Some of the above never averaged 29 disposals in a season let alone kick nearly 30 goals.

I wouldn't underplay the value of goal-kicking mids.

You're even trying to downplay having the most score involvements in the AFL. Coming second is better according to you. And it's as if you don't realise that the best mids in the comp have someone (to varying degrees) trying to stop them every single week.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Petracca and Bont. Both are just so dynamic. Either of them would have been Norm Smith medallists depending on the result of last years Grand Final.

Sam Walsh will be right in the conversation within 2 years i'd suspect.

Oliver has claim to being the best pure footballer who is getting by on sheer hard work and natural ability. The aforementioned trio have athletic traits (height, brute strength, speed/endurance) that help them reach those peaks.

Fyfe won a Brownlow while Fremantle were a bottom half team, nothing to do with the team’s performance, Fyfe’s past 2 years have been well below his best.

He’s been injured the last 2 years. Still a top 5 player in my opinion. And factually you are incorrect. He won the Brownlow in 2015. Below was Freo’s ladder position.

Attachments

• 703543DD-8C89-4184-A654-5EC8792F8AE9.png
    703543DD-8C89-4184-A654-5EC8792F8AE9.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Oliver is a gun.

Back