The 2018 Superdraft revisited

Been well documented (and blindingly obvious) he was playing through injury.
Consistently denied by the club

Almost as often as Carlton supporters denial that he has just naturally regressed and been exposed

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Consistently denied by the club

Almost as often as Carlton supporters denial that he has just naturally regressed and been exposed

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
* consistently denied by Teague, which is why despite all his injuries the coach still played him each week.

It was well documented that in 2020 he played the entire year through 3 dislocated shoulders (needed a reco at season's end). In 2021 he played the season through a stuffed up foot and a fractured back.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
So far, theres nothing special about 2018, but what were the raps on 2001 in 2004? Judd Ablett Ball and Bartel, but a lot of the other names were seen as a bit lazy up till then. Saints and Geelong were seen as 'on the rise'

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
2020 had shortened quarters, 2021 was back to normal

His clearance numbers are down about 40% on his 2019 figures and he was 32nd in the league for clearances per game in 2021, how does that equate into him still being a clearance beast?

You're right. Its rubbish that Cripps has gone off because the game has changed. It has not changed that much and there are still plenty of stoppages. He just hasn't been playing well whether it be coaching, injuries or confidence (I suspect a combination of the 3). Hoping Voss can do an Ollie Wines with him. Would be massive for Carlton if he could get back to 2019 form.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Butters would be in my top 5, I rate players that can create play very highly and his hands are amazing. I expect Max King to be top 2 within a few years. Next to useless at ground level and not as multi-faceted as his brother but look at the first half of the Cats game in round 22. What he does well he does exceptionally well. Will be be on the those players that can completely dismantle a team simply due to being unstoppable when he's on.
Wtf? Have you watched him play? He’s the best at ground level I’ve seen for a player his size. It’s probably his 2nd best attribute behind his marking ability

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
i'll give you Naughton but I'm happy with Clark
Oscar and Naughton are very good Back/Forward, along with M king would be a nightmare for oppo backs switching to be alongside him whilst having the other play back. wingman/mids are easier to come by like Clark

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's an exceptional top 8.

Although I have wondered if the South Australians got a little overrated. No lack of skill and plenty of upside but maybe a little flashy. Rozee should bounce back though, and it's hard to judge the 2 at the Gold Coast given they are far from the only highly rated players to languish up there.

9-20 is also showing it's value as a deep first round. Butters is the standout and Duursma a super performer, but maybe just a little underperforming from this crop through injuries and some lack of opportunity. But you'd still be happy to have pretty much all of them. There's more than a few like Blakey, Caldwell, Clark, Sturt, Stocker, RCD who seem to have huge wraps on them still so it will be interesting to see if the deliver.

21-40 isn't great. A few nice players in Hill, Rowbottom, Sparrow, Vandermeer but a pretty low strike rate so far. 40+ has some decent types, some solid value on offer.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Doubt we would’ve drafted Naughton and King in back to back drafts.

King and Naughton up either end would be lethal in years to come. Saints also took Clark and Coffield back to back around that time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
King and Naughton up either end would be lethal in years to come. Saints also took Clark and Coffield back to back around that time as well.

Even though hawks cleaned up with Buddy and rough in 2004, they still backed up (wasted?) picks on thorp and dowler in 05 and O6. Even thought he grand finalists of the time didn’t have KPP in abundance

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Taking Clark & Coffield in the same draft is different to taking Naughton & King in 2 different drafts.
Regardless, if Clark stays injury free he’s well worth the pick. And if Coffield can get back to his 2020 form he’ll be a good pick too.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taking Clark & Coffield in the same draft is different to taking Naughton & King in 2 different drafts.
Regardless, if Clark stays injury free he’s well worth the pick. And if Coffield can get back to his 2020 form he’ll be a good pick too.

Apart from it being a year apart what’s the difference? I’m not even sure what we’re arguing here. At the time when you invested 2 top picks in mids, it allowed you to go tall and you needed to. At the time and even now with hindsight saints are lacking quality talls, particularly down back. Having your bookends sorted for the next 10 years over 2 drafts would have been a dream outcome.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Apart from it being a year apart what’s the difference? I’m not even sure what we’re arguing here. At the time when you invested 2 top picks in mids, it allowed you to go tall and you needed to. At the time and even now with hindsight saints are lacking quality talls, particularly down back. Having your bookends sorted for the next 10 years over 2 drafts would have been a dream outcome.

Yeh and hindsight is a wonderful thing, we needed mids at that time and went with what we thought were the 2 best available. Not sure Coffield will ever be a midfielder but Clark definitely looks the goods.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very very happy with Tarryn Thomas' development in 2021.

Adds polish in the middle, which is something North haven't had a lot of since Wells departure. Kicking goals is a bonus. His 4 goals against Carlton last season were top class. Yes we won easy, but it was his bursts of class that got us there.

His signature is a huge piece of the puzzle at Arden street.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think Rankine will find his form?
I only saw a couple of his champs games and haven't seen many of his games at the gold coast but when he was drafted I thought he might struggle to adapt his game to AFL a bit.

Players who have great evasive skills at junior levels usually aren't able to do the same at AFL because there is so much more pressure and congestion.

I also thought his decision making wasn't great which is super important at AFL level. It seemed like he'd sometimes take players on instead of taking the easy option and all of his moves were so he could get onto his right foot. His hand passing and opposite foot seemed a bit below standard.

His obviously got great speed, agility and skill but I just think he needs to figure out how to apply that at AFL level.

That was the feeling I got from a couple of champs games so could be completely off track 😋

Back