big_sav

All Australian
Apr 4, 2004
Mount Eliza
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton, Chelsea
Now that the ashes is finished its time to switch the thinking to a very busy winter on the subcontinent. Assuming the Pakistan series goes ahead and all players are happy to go there, what is everyones squad for the tour? I think they normally take 17 player but they may take more due to covid and multiple tours.

I would go

Khawaja
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson

Hazlewood
Boland
J. Richardson
Maxwell
M. Marsh
Inglis

Really hard to pick a squad as the australian team has not travelled to the sub continent in a while
A few concerns when picking the side are
Warner and khawaja averages mid 20 in india and sri lanka (both have a good record in the UAE where the tests arnt played)

Lack of exposure to a second spinner or a spinning all rounder. Thats why i put maxwell there even though he hasnt played much red ball cricket in the last couple of years. I feel like we may go pace heavy in a similar way the aus team won in india in the early 2000’s when gilly skippered a few tests

Would love to know everyones thoughts around this series and the sub continent as a whole. Looking forward to some late nights watching the cricket over winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that the ashes is finished its time to switch the thinking to a very busy winter on the subcontinent. Assuming the Pakistan series goes ahead and all players are happy to go there, what is everyones squad for the tour? I think they normally take 17 player but they may take more due to covid and multiple tours.

I would go

Khawaja
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson

Hazlewood
Boland
J. Richardson
Maxwell
M. Marsh
Inglis

Really hard to pick a squad as the australian team has not travelled to the sub continent in a while
A few concerns when picking the side are
Warner and khawaja averages mid 20 in india and sri lanka (both have a good record in the UAE where the tests arnt played)

Lack of exposure to a second spinner or a spinning all rounder. Thats why i put maxwell there even though he hasnt played much red ball cricket in the last couple of years. I feel like we may go pace heavy in a similar way the aus team won in india in the early 2000’s when gilly skippered a few tests

Would love to know everyones thoughts around this series and the sub continent as a whole. Looking forward to some late nights watching the cricket over winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt they take anywhere near that amount of quicks.

Haze will make it, but I doubt he plays.

They will play Cummins/Green and Starc when not on a Bunsen.

Mitch Marsh will be the 5th seamer imo

1. David Warner
2. Usman Khawaja
3. Marnus Laubschange
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Cameron Green
7. Alex Carey
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Pat Cummins
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Mitchell Swepson
Bench/Covid replacements
12. Matt Renshaw
13. Peter Handscomb
14. Josh Hazlewood
15. Ashton Agar
16. Nic Maddison
17. Josh Inglis
18. Mitchell Marsh
19. Scott Boland
20. Jye Richardson

1. David Warner
2. Usman Khawaja
3. Marnus Laubschange
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Cameron Green
7. Alex Carey
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Pat Cummins
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Mitchell Swepson
Bench/Covid replacements
12. Matt Renshaw
13. Peter Handscomb
14. Josh Hazlewood
15. Ashton Agar
16. Nic Maddison
17. Josh Inglis
18. Mitchell Marsh
19. Scott Boland
20. Jye Richardson
Hanscomb no way would rather young phillipe

Still shield games to go

I reckon they will pick a young opener ..with an eye on the future like Hunt or Street ...Will not play but to be around the team

This is going to sound ridiculous, but Tasmania have to rush this kid through into the shield playing for the u/19 World Cup side for the rest of the season, to see what he’s got.

Especially with some of the third spinner names floated about atm.

Would've thought you go Hazlewood/Boland over Starc on those sorts of wickets

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Boland

Does make the tail a bit longer but oh well. If I had to pick a smokey to get on the tour it would be Handscomb, they seem to rate him on those wickets.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but Tasmania have to rush this kid through into the shield playing for the u/19 World Cup side for the rest of the season, to see what he’s got.

Especially with some of the third spinner names floated about atm.
Massive Lloyd Pope vibes in this post.

Aus v Paki first match is 3rd March, assume confirmation of that test will need to occur in a week or so. Cummins mentioned in his post match interview that he has a week off. Based on this I'm guessing by end of next week or following Monday, we will know the squad for this tour. I wonder if they arrive in Pakistan early to acclimatise or leave it late as possible due to any potential security/covid threats.

Given COVID is rampant I'd be expecting 20-ish to go on tour. For me it probably ends up as:

Bats: Warner, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Inglis, Handscomb, Maddinson, Maxwell, M Marsh
Bowlers: Hazlewood, Cummins, Starc, Richardson, Boland, Lyon, Swepson, Agar

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey (+)
Cummins
Swepson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Handscomb is still one of the better players of spin in Australia, Maddinson is the reserve opener. I can see them playing three spinners at some point as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During the last series they hosted against SA, Anrich Norjtje, Hasan Ali and Shaheen Afridi all took bags of wickets bowling quick. Yasir Shah, Nauman Ali and Maharaj all took plenty of wickets bowling slow.

Good to hear pacers getting wickets too, Australia might not need to play 2 spinners.

Good to hear pacers getting wickets too, Australia might not need to play 2 spinners.

If you don’t have the bowlers that are good enough, why bother? Who’s more likely to take wickets regardless of how much they favour conditions, a second spinner who hasn’t even been good enough to debut for australia yet, or any one of Starc, Hazlewood or Boland? I’d go with the latter regardless of conditions.

SA is the only western team to have had any sustained success in Asia over the last 15 years (and even that was often draws). They did it with one spinner usually

1. David Warner
2. Usman Khawaja
3. Marnus Laubschange
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Cameron Green
7. Alex Carey
8. Mitchell Starc
9. Pat Cummins
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Mitchell Swepson
Bench/Covid replacements
12. Matt Renshaw
13. Peter Handscomb
14. Josh Hazlewood
15. Ashton Agar
16. Nic Maddison
17. Josh Inglis
18. Mitchell Marsh
19. Scott Boland
20. Jye Richardson

I go along with taking a squad of 20 but Australia is also playing NZ at the same time in T20 games.Will be interesting to see how they get around that one as they might need an extended squad for there as well.Is playing with a very under manned squad against I presume a full strength NZ worth the trip?

What I think they'll do for the first match -

Khawaja
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson

What I'd do mixed with what I assume they'll do. Think the extra runs from Agar will help given our batting may be flimsy -

Khawaja
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Agar
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Ideally we replace Warner though. Average away from home and a pretty ordinary series at home may be a sign of things to come...

Without looking at Sheffield shield stats is there a reason agar's name always comes up for tours?!

Without looking at Sheffield shield stats is there a reason agar's name always comes up for tours?!
Last time he played in Asia he had 7wickets at 23 in the two tests.

I go along with taking a squad of 20 but Australia is also playing NZ at the same time in T20 games.Will be interesting to see how they get around that one as they might need an extended squad for there as well.Is playing with a very under manned squad against I presume a full strength NZ worth the trip?

The kiwis have a test series against South Africa at home. So they will be sending a B similar to ours.

He’s probably third in line after Swepson and Lyon. He adds variety with his left arm orthodox and averages 27 with the Willow as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back