Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree Rusty, if we can keep them all together then we are on the brink of something very special. We've basically assembled the kind of ridiculously talented squad that Gold Coast and GWS were partially gifted upon entry into the AFL, but couldn't figure out how to capitalise on. Methinks we will not be as wasteful.

I think if everyone's fit, selection for round 1 will be straight-forward and predictable. But if everyone's fit for the pre-season games... geez. I don't envy Horse trying to fit them all in so they all get a chance to show what they can do.
I agree. It is ridiculous the talent we are trying to squeeze into various positions this year. Next year will be worse when we will have more young players trying to fit in. It is a good problem to have.

Still need to fix contested amd ball and won’t win a flag with the defence atm IMO

Need a superior defence to win a flag imo like the years gone past

Need a Moore type

Still need to fix contested ball for sure, but it's not like it's a crisis point. It is a fairly easy fix. We were 4th in the competition for contested possessions and that was with two of our better contested ball-winners in Mills & JPK missing games. With a stream of young kids ready to at worst, help out, at best, take over in that department.

Agree about defence and unfortunately that is a far less easy issue to fix as it's completely personnel-related. You can't just click your fingers and conjure a few quality defenders from thin air.

Still need to fix contested ball for sure, but it's not like it's a crisis point. It is a fairly easy fix. We were 4th in the competition for contested possessions and that was with two of our better contested ball-winners in Mills & JPK missing games. With a stream of young kids ready to at worst, help out, at best, take over in that department.

Agree about defence and unfortunately that is a far less easy issue to fix as it's completely personnel-related. You can't just click your fingers and conjure a few quality defenders from thin air.
Where not the last 4 finialist better in contested ball?

Where not the last 4 finialist better in contested ball?

Melbourne, Brisbane and Port were the only teams who averaged more contested possessions than us last year. We were ahead of the Bulldogs and GWS.

But it did feel like a constant in all of our losses and/or average performances that we got smacked around the contest a bit too much.

I think we need to temper expectation of some youngsters. Not because they aren’t talented but the names Campbell rankin sheldrick, etc have barely played any games of AFL.
We just don’t know how they’ll turn out. Great to be optimistic but reality is we don’t know how good many of them really are.

I think we need to temper expectation of some youngsters. Not because they aren’t talented but the names Campbell rankin sheldrick, etc have barely played any games of AFL.
We just don’t know how they’ll turn out. Great to be optimistic but reality is we don’t know how good many of them really are.

I posted this a few months ago, but we have just a 56% success rate in players taken in the national draft in the 2010s decade. We had 36 kids taken in that time; 20 are still on AFL lists, and only 12 are still on our list. An average of one in three national draftees not working out for us each year. (And I would imagine we are still one of the more successful clubs when it comes to drafting.)

History suggests that, at the very least, one of Sheldrick, Roberts and Warner won't work out. (I've removed Rankin since he becomes the best Swans player of all time.)

I think it's possible to be conscious of the harsh realities of the AFL, and still be ridiculously excited by our list and it's future. If there's a better nucleus of talent than Heeney, Mills, Papley, McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Warner and Gulden, then I'm a monkey's uncle. The others you cite, like Campbell and Sheldrick, are the unproven talents that we hope will announce themselves and make the competition for spots even more exciting. But until then, they are just icing on the cake. It's the cake we're most excited by.

Campbell with the backs hey

Reid will get a gig as a defender I can see it
To be fair, we don't have a lot of smaller players who have/can play down there. Cunners on the smalls, Fox/COR can as well, but probably suited more to the medium types. With all the other mid or half forward options we've now got, we might as well keep developing him (Campbell) down back. Not that I see him as a lock down defender by any stretch, probably more part of the kick out / half back rotation, but he'll be better for it if we need to call on him to mark someone. Helps his defensive game, although we already know he can go hard at the contest.

Not a lot of confidence in Reid's body holding up, or him having a late career renaissance as a KPD. That said, if he's down there in pre-season, it's obviously for a reason. If he plays any games there and does well, I'll send him a crate of crab juice.

To be fair, we don't have a lot of smaller players who have/can play down there. Cunners on the smalls, Fox/COR can as well, but probably suited more to the medium types. With all the other mid or half forward options we've now got, we might as well keep developing him (Campbell) down back. Not that I see him as a lock down defender by any stretch, probably more part of the kick out / half back rotation, but he'll be better for it if we need to call on him to mark someone. Helps his defensive game, although we already know he can go hard at the contest.

Not a lot of confidence in Reid's body holding up, or him having a late career renaissance as a KPD. That said, if he's down there in pre-season, it's obviously for a reason. If he plays any games there and does well, I'll send him a crate of crab juice.
I wouldn’t waste Campbell in a Cunningham role that’s for sure

I posted this a few months ago, but we have just a 56% success rate in players taken in the national draft in the 2010s decade. We had 36 kids taken in that time; 20 are still on AFL lists, and only 12 are still on our list. An average of one in three national draftees not working out for us each year. (And I would imagine we are still one of the more successful clubs when it comes to drafting.)

History suggests that, at the very least, one of Sheldrick, Roberts and Warner won't work out. (I've removed Rankin since he becomes the best Swans player of all time.)

I think it's possible to be conscious of the harsh realities of the AFL, and still be ridiculously excited by our list and it's future. If there's a better nucleus of talent than Heeney, Mills, Papley, McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Warner and Gulden, then I'm a monkey's uncle. The others you cite, like Campbell and Sheldrick, are the unproven talents that we hope will announce themselves and make the competition for spots even more exciting. But until then, they are just icing on the cake. It's the cake we're most excited by.
And Stephens.

I am sure it has been mentioned but a part of me would love to have the Swans hire Hall as a part time coach for Logan McDonald. Thinking about it Hall and McDonald are very similar sort of players, with similar strengths and weaknesses so Hall would be a great coach for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure it has been mentioned but a part of me would love to have the Swans hire Hall as a part time coach for Logan McDonald. Thinking about it Hall and McDonald are very similar sort of players, with similar strengths and weaknesses so Hall would be a great coach for him.
I'm no AFL player but not sure that's great advice from Hally. The sports science guys would have the team on pretty tight, individualised programs. With the expectation that players are fresh at the start of a session. Turning up to training half smoked from an immediately prior 90min gym session isn't going to maximise your output from the scheduled session. At the very least it'll increase risk of training injury.

I'm no AFL player but not sure that's great advice from Hally. The sports science guys would have the team on pretty tight, individualised programs. With the expectation that players are fresh at the start of a session. Turning up to training half smoked from an immediately prior 90min gym session isn't going to maximise your output from the scheduled session. At the very least it'll increase risk of training injury.

I listened to it and found it more helped with that mental side of things.

"You do the extra things and you go in confident you have done even more than your opponent".

Don't think it has to be gym work, can be nutrition based, mental mindset or even something like yoga.

I suppose he was communicating what he thought gave him a mental edge over his peers and opponents. If some of the up and comers find a productive way to develop their mental toughness before they've even walked onto the training track then I don't think it's a bad suggestion. Fevola did extra kicking sessions by himself despite the fitness staff at Carlton capping the amount that players could do during their sessions and it seemed to work pretty well.

Last edited:
More yoga than your opponent gives you a mental edge?

It could, the point behind Hall's speech was about doing that extra 1% for yourself so you can go to the field confident that you have done more than your opponent.

For Hall it could be gym work, but others may take that differently (meditation, yoga, Pilates, diet and the right amount of rest are all valid options).

P.s Yoga, Ballet and Pilates are fantastic for core strength/ balance. I started doing Yoga a few years ago and the benefits from it have vastly helped my own sporting achievements (Flexibility, core and my own mindset when too emotional).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back