Cricket Thread: Bring on the Kiwis

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Yep 20/20 not for me. I know it’s encouraged players to innovate with their shots and the few I’ve watched it’s been great to see some of the older players, especially spinners like Brad Hogg. Love watching spinners.

I may have told this story before but anyway: I interviewed Jason Gillespie once at a fundraiser. My last question was: “Cricket is getting shorter and shorter. Tests used to be 6 days, with a rest day. Then they went to 5. But that was too long so they went to 50 overs. Then that was too long so they went to 20. Called it Twenty-20. But that’s got four syllables - far too many, so they shortened it to T-20. Only 3 syllables. But that was too long so now it’s called Big Bash - only two syllables. So my question to you is - can you ever see a day when the captains walk out on the ground, toss the coin…and whoever wins that wins the game??”

He said “There’s a competition overseas that only lasts 10 overs. Each bowler only has 2 overs. It’s all over in about an hour.” 😳😲😄
The use of spinners is probably the one part of 20/20 I really like.

lol at 10/10 cricket. My partner would love it if the cricket was over that quickly.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep 20/20 not for me. I know it’s encouraged players to innovate with their shots and the few I’ve watched it’s been great to see some of the older players, especially spinners like Brad Hogg. Love watching spinners.

I may have told this story before but anyway: I interviewed Jason Gillespie once at a fundraiser. My last question was: “Cricket is getting shorter and shorter. Tests used to be 6 days, with a rest day. Then they went to 5. But that was too long so they went to 50 overs. Then that was too long so they went to 20. Called it Twenty-20. But that’s got four syllables - far too many, so they shortened it to T-20. Only 3 syllables. But that was too long so now it’s called Big Bash - only two syllables. So my question to you is - can you ever see a day when the captains walk out on the ground, toss the coin…and whoever wins that wins the game??”

He said “There’s a competition overseas that only lasts 10 overs. Each bowler only has 2 overs. It’s all over in about an hour.” 😳😲😄
T10 League in the UAE, Gayle loves it.

Plus the Hundred, 20 5 ball overs.

So this Cockbain bloke goes okay
Must stay in when the Test players return.

So what's everyone's line-up? My thinking is Carey down the order as that his role with Australia.

1 Renshaw
2 Short
3 Cockbain
4 Head
5 Wells
6 Carey
7 Kelly
8 Thornton
9 Siddle
10 Conway
11 Ahmed

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Must stay in when the Test players return.

So what's everyone's line-up? My thinking is Carey down the order as that his role with Australia.

1 Renshaw
2 Short
3 Cockbain
4 Head
5 Wells
6 Carey
7 Kelly
8 Thornton
9 Siddle
10 Conway
11 Ahmed

Head and Carey both gotta be in the top 3 or 4. We gotta try and get them facing the most balls and not risk having them coming in late trying to play catch up from ball one.

Short
Carey
Head
Cockbain
Two of Renshaw, Weatherald, Wells, Kelly
Thornton
Siddle
Ahmed
One other pace bowler - Conway, Agar, Worrall
10 man team?

Surely Wells is a lock...

Back