Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy is definetly agile for a man his size, I have seen him kick quite a few goals at ground level. Excellent at burning his man via leading patterns as well.

Hawkins probably relies more on his body positioning and brute strength but he has reasonable agility.

Dixon is really just big with half decent hands. Clearly a rung below the other two in my book.

Very tough gig to make it as a power forward in the AFL these days, you have to have a point of difference apart from pure size.
Leading patterns are more about forward IQ than agility. If you don't have enough agility to change direction on the lead, you should not be on the ground.

Hence the reason why callow didn’t get drafted initially 😉

Sounds like callow has improved. Let’s hope so!
Good forwards have a almost instinctive capacity to read the spaces. If you can't do that, all the agility in the world won't help. Dylan Moore is a good example - he just knows where to go - as do Breust and Gunston. Training drills can help but if you can't read the spaces in the moment, the drills won't help much. The drills assume an almost static defence and our game is pretty chaotic.

We just have to hope that one of our four young prospects has the innate capacity to read the spaces. On evidence so far, Kosi is the best bet and Lewis the weakest.

Agility can definitely be improved. There are methods for elite sportsmen. It takes work but he'll be a lot better by the end of the season.

Agility can be improved a bit, but the base matters. Individual players aren't developing in a vacuum, every other player is developing at the same time and improving on their strengths - poor speed and agility will likely remain relative weaknesses even if they improve them.

Agility can be improved a bit, but the base matters. Individual players aren't developing in a vacuum, every other player is developing at the same time and improving on their strengths - poor speed and agility will likely remain relative weaknesses even if they improve them.
Fair enough. On Callow's running Bruesty said he was very surprised by his improved running ability. Even to the point where he predicted a break out season for 2022.

Maybe Bruest is overly optimistic but I like to think he's on the money (it also makes me feel better 😉)
If Callow becomes the player we hope for, we will have significantly sped up our rebuild.
Callow also said in an interview he has played as a KPD and enjoyed it. On his running, I'll wait for the intra club games to check for myself.

Fair enough. On Callow's running Bruesty said he was very surprised by his improved running ability. Even to the point where he predicted a break out season for 2022.

Maybe Bruest is overly optimistic but I like to think he's on the money (it also makes me feel better 😉)
If Callow becomes the player we hope for, we will have significantly sped up our rebuild.
Callow also said in an interview he has played as a KPD and enjoyed it. On his running, I'll wait for the intra club games to check for myself.

It seems like his running was a strength at all stages and his effort was always there, not denying that. I think Callow has two really important strengths, his marking ability and his workrate.

That said, you'd prefer he works hard at getting the most out of those qualities because they're gonna bring him closer to being an AFL footballer than expending all that effort on his weakest attributes. That's why I was talking about players not developing in isolation, its safe to assume every younger player in the AFL will develop and poor agility will remain a relative weakness regardless of the work he puts in - on the flip side for Callow, his workrate and marking will remain relative strengths if he keeps working on those.

Too much focus on his weaknesses might make him a more rounded player, but it'll also likely detract from his natural advantages and make him more average.

It seems like his running was a strength at all stages and his effort was always there, not denying that. I think Callow has two really important strengths, his marking ability and his workrate.

That said, you'd prefer he works hard at getting the most out of those qualities because they're gonna bring him closer to being an AFL footballer than expending all that effort on his weakest attributes. That's why I was talking about players not developing in isolation, its safe to assume every younger player in the AFL will develop and poor agility will remain a relative weakness regardless of the work he puts in - on the flip side for Callow, his workrate and marking will remain relative strengths if he keeps working on those.

Too much focus on his weaknesses might make him a more rounded player, but it'll also likely detract from his natural advantages and make him more average.

I read somewhere that Sammy is big on focussing on improving strengths, then developing weaknesses. Think that will benefit some of the fringe players on our list and see if they can make it.

Surely improving agility as part of a well rounded strength and conditioning program isn’t going to detract from his marking and work rate, which you suggests are his strengths 🤔

Surely improving agility as part of a well rounded strength and conditioning program isn’t going to detract from his marking and work rate, which you suggests are his strengths 🤔
Depends on how much time it takes away from what he'd otherwise be working on, I guess.

If he's applied 100% of his training to date to get to where he's at with his marking/work rate & we want to build up other areas, he either has to train more/longer or he has to re-allocate some of that 100% to other areas, which might see him lose (or stagnate) some of those strengths.

There's a difference between it being part of his routine and placing too much emphasis on it - no part of my post suggested to do absolutely nothing to improve it? Quote, "Too much focus on his weaknesses..." will detract from his strengths because you only have so much time and effort to commit to training. Again - every single player is doing well rounded strength and conditioning programs, so his agility will always be a RELATIVE weakness. The effort involved to bring it up to even average would make the other work less of a priority meaning that it would stagnate.

As a crappy analogy, doing bicep curls will help you improve your bench press. Biceps are a stabiliser in that movement, so if you have weaker biceps and you want a stronger bench press you can add them into your routine and they will help eke out your potential. If you decide to start prioritising bicep curls and reduce training volume in the bench press, your weak biceps might become average but your bench press won't progress even if it was a strength beforehand.

There's a difference between it being part of his routine and placing too much emphasis on it - no part of my post suggested to do absolutely nothing to improve it? Quote, "Too much focus on his weaknesses..." will detract from his strengths because you only have so much time and effort to commit to training. Again - every single player is doing well rounded strength and conditioning programs, so his agility will always be a RELATIVE weakness. The effort involved to bring it up to even average would make the other work less of a priority meaning that it would stagnate.
I’d suggest for callow, it isn’t about relative weakness, it is about meeting a minimum threshold of performance. And I’d trust our strength and conditioning staff to develop an appropriate program that minimises trade offs.

I reckon we go to intra praccy games and see for ourselves. Let's see what Bruest was going on about. Hanging out to see any glimpses of game plan changes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just have to hope that one of our four young prospects has the innate capacity to read the spaces. On evidence so far, Kosi is the best bet and Lewis the weakest.
Disagree. On evidence Lewis/Kosi are the best bet, and Callow the weakest.

Disagree. On evidence Lewis/Kosi are the best bet, and Callow the weakest.
From what I've seen at Box Hill, reckon Jeka will end up the best. But don't know how to play Lewis and Jeka. For now Kozi is a lock.

Hmm can Lewis play the fwd that leads outside 50m(a link up fwd) while Kozi and Jeka stay inside 50m. ???

From what I've seen at Box Hill, reckon Jeka will end up the best. But don't know how to play Lewis and Jeka. For now Kozi is a lock.

Hmm can Lewis play the fwd that leads outside 50m(a link up fwd) while Kozi and Jeka stay inside 50m. ???
Jeka better suited up the ground with his kicking.

Jeka better suited up the ground with his kicking.
Excellent dual sided kicking too. But I still feel he's a KPF.
I wonder what posi Sam has in store for him.
I think he's wasted at Box Hill. Needs 20-30 games at AFL level asap, provided his form is good.

I think he's wasted at Box Hill. Needs 20-30 games at AFL level asap, provided his form is good.
Him at CHF would be awesome. Leading up taking marks with his good set of hands, he's super clean below his knees aswell and is creative by hand. When he does have the ball to kick he can kick both feet with good penetration and smart about where he kicks it.

Hence the reason why callow didn’t get drafted initially 😉

Sounds like callow has improved. Let’s hope so!
Probably why we didn't keep Stuart Lowe, the player with the same nickname, "Buckets" as Callow.
Did he ever improve his agility or did he just work on what he had?

I don’t understand this new burst of chat on Callow’s agility. Is it all based on one test result or on observation? If it is a one test number, I seem to remember Cyril testing poorly on agility (… yes Cyril was likely foxing but the point stands). If it is based on observation, then I do not see what others do. While no twinkle-toes, Callow changes direction well enough. And I am guessing with his rig he will be difficult to tackle, especially if he develops (or has) a competent don’t-argue. As Dusty has shown, going through an opponent can be more effective for the team than going around him... especially around goal. Even if he gets tackled, he is likely to have the strength to get the ball away with a handball to a crumbing forward for an easy goal.

The boy is just 19. His strengths are obvious and rare in the AFL. For mine, Buckets gets a minimum 2 more years to develop and show his value before his relative weaknesses are even considered as limiting.

I have enjoyed and agreed with your posts JZedd but on Jeka as a KPF I have to disagree. Jeka was destroyed in one-on-ones against Melbourne’s Harrison Petty (who I rate). It was not that he lost the contest, it was how easily Petty won the test of strength. Yes Jeka is young and will improve but as a KPF, strength in the contest must be a strength of the player. I have not yet seen that from Jeka.
That said, I like Jeka (for all of the reasons you state) as a half-forward in essentially Gunston’s spot = mobile 3rd tall.

For mine we currently have 3 long term options for a KPFs = Kosie, Lewis and Callow.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed and agreed with your posts JZedd but on Jeka as a KPF I have to disagree. Jeka was destroyed in one-on-ones against Melbourne’s Harrison Petty (who I rate). It was not that he lost the contest, it was how easily Petty won the test of strength. Yes Jeka is young and will improve but as a KPF, strength in the contest must be a strength of the player. I have not yet seen that from Jeka.
That said, I like Jeka (for all of the reasons you state) as a half-forward in essentially Gunston’s spot = mobile 3rd tall.

For mine we currently have 3 long term options for a KPFs = Kosie, Lewis and Callow.
Disagree mate, Jeka can def make it as a KPF and more likely to over being a third tall, in one on one strength battles he was out played but anytime he had a run jump at the ball or he got near it at ground level it was one touch collect and give.

For me it's all about building his body he has the footballing ability.

He already looks bigger.

Disagree mate, Jeka can def make it as a KPF and more likely to over being a third tall, in one on one strength battles he was out played but anytime he had a run jump at the ball or he got near it at ground level it was one touch collect and give.

He already looks bigger.
Every considered point you made agrees with what I said… We just disagree on what defines a KPF. I want a Key Position Forward who can take a contested mark like a (much bigger for today) Tony Lockett (191cm ….whose agility was atrocious)

We agree mate, just not on the position Jaka should play.

Last edited:

He already looks bigger.
Agree. He does look bigger this year. I'm glad that Sammy has had a close up view of him too. From the reports Sam wrote he often praised Jeka.

And like you said, he is clean in his disposals and a real threat in the air.

If we do become more attacking, as Sam has highlighted, our forwards will benefit in output and confidence. I'll be at the Praccy games.
Might climb a tree and record a view from behind the goals. 😋

The

The most disappointing aspect from the Melbourne game was that Jeka appeared to be broken by the end of the game.
The only positive from that was "here is a taste and some insight in where you need to get to".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back