Preview The 2022 Pre Season Training Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Jones can be in that group currently. Needs to show a lot more this season. Was better late obviously, but I don't think A grade is likely yet.

Sholl is one I hope recaptures his first half 2021 form.
I think that Jones might be a good explanation of the difference between potential and likelihood. He definitely has the tools to make it, but you wouldn't have him in the same conversation as Thilthorp or Schoenberg for likelihood of getting there.

That said, I went fishing with a guy who golfs with Tex and Sloan (next door neighbour's cat etc). Apparently they do have Jones in the same conversation with Thilthorp, Rachele, Dawson and Schoenberg. Also said they liked Pedlar, but he was held back by his groin issues. They like Fog, particularly Tex, but he needs to get to more contests.

Chapman is a great comparison actually. The sort of bloke you don't think about too much now that he's retired, but he was a massive thorn in your side whenever you played against him.
I know right, when you think of that world beating Cats team you don't think of Chapman right away, but in nearly every big game that guy was in the best players. Snagged himself a cheeky Norm if my memory serves me.

The players that I think have the potential to become true A graders are:
Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

God I hope these guys reach their potential.
Add Butts and it is potentially a great core of young players going forward.

When a group of high quality comes through from a young age, you win Premierships.

We had that in the 1990s, and should have won more.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I'd have Butts there. He has really not put a foot wrong and will only get stronger and more experienced. He has the potential to be a real A grade key defender imo

I want to see how Adelaide treat him next year before I do, as I reckon the path we're looking like going down (full blown shutdown defender) will probably stop Butts from reaching those heights. If we're willing to expand on his offensive game, he certainly has a shot.

Add Butts and it is potentially a great core of young players going forward.

When a group of high quality comes through from a young age, you win Premierships.

We had that in the 1990s, and should have won more.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
And really if we could add a couple more via free agency and trades to this group there's reason to be optimistic.

If a few more go from good prospects to B plus or A minus grade players we will be in a good position; Doedee, Milera, Fogarty, Berry, Sholl, Hamill, McAsey/Murray, McPherson, Hamill, McHenry

The bonus would be if someone unheralded bobbed up and becomes a serious player like Gollant, Parnell, Newchurch, Borlase, Taylor, Soligo, Hately, Rowe

I want to see how Adelaide treat him next year before I do, as I reckon the path we're looking like going down (full blown shutdown defender) will probably stop Butts from reaching those heights. If we're willing to expand on his offensive game, he certainly has a shot.
It might be when we have a second bankable key defender emerge out of Murray, McAsey and Worrell that we see Butts be less dour. Currently we don't have that.

The players that I think have the potential to become true A graders are:
Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
Jones

God I hope these guys reach their potential.

Looking at our under 23 players. For me I think there are only 4 of our younger players that have shown at AFL level that they could turn into true A graders.

Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Sholl
Butts

Too early to tell on the below 3:

Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
McAsey
Murray

I don't think Jones, McHenry, Berry, Hamill, Hately have the ceiling to be A Graders - but could be handy role players.

I kind of feel like Sam's ceiling could be a peak Paul Chapman (which I say with a begrudging respect because I used to hate how often he burned us in that annoyingly great Cats dynasty).

I don't think he's going be our cream, but could certainly be a very dangerous "best of the rest" type.

Jesus. If Sam Berry's ceiling is peak Paul Chapman then he will most certainly be our cream.

I think you have forgotten how damn good Peak Paul Chapman was.

Best and Fairest winner, Top 5 B&F during a premiership year, Dual All Australian, Norm Smith Medalist, top 10 Brownlow finish.

If he played at Adelaide with his career he would be 5th most games, 3rd most goals, 6th most Brownlow votes.

Why can't he be an A Grade shutdown defender?

If Adelaide treat him like they did his predecessors (Rutten & Talia) then I am 100% fine with it.

I kind of feel like Sam's ceiling could be a peak Paul Chapman (which I say with a begrudging respect because I used to hate how often he burned us in that annoyingly great Cats dynasty).

I don't think he's going be our cream, but could certainly be a very dangerous "best of the rest" type.

Berry doesn't have Paul Chapman's skills.

Murray has a long way to go with his 1v1 work. Good at crashing a pack and can pull off a good grab that way, but he gets lost in 1v1 battles a lot. Still so raw though and hasn't even played many sanfl games let alone afl.

Butts was excellent 1v1 from game 1, but he had the benefit of an sanfl apprenticeship. Can't remember what he was like early in the Sanfl?

Jesus. If Sam Berry's ceiling is peak Paul Chapman then he will most certainly be our cream.

I think you have forgotten how damn good Peak Paul Chapman was.

Best and Fairest winner, Top 5 B&F during a premiership year, Dual All Australian, Norm Smith Medalist, top 10 Brownlow finish.

If he played at Adelaide with his career he would be 5th most games, 3rd most goals, 6th most Brownlow votes.

Had a 18 tackle , 17 contested possession 200+ champion data point game in his draft year.
His ceiling is technically huge , with the tightening of the holding the ball / incorrect disposal rule this year Berry and Ned could turn games for us if played in the guts imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talia was an All Australian and widely recognised as an A grader...just sayin'

Had a 18 tackle , 17 contested possession 200+ champion data point game in his draft year.
His ceiling is technically huge , with the tightening of the holding the ball / incorrect disposal rule this year Berry and Ned could turn games for us if played in the guts imo.
Not his draft year, that was his under age year in game played in atrocious conditions.

Looking at our under 23 players. For me I think there are only 4 of our younger players that have shown at AFL level that they could turn into true A graders.

Thilthorpe
Schoenberg
Sholl
Butts

Too early to tell on the below 3:

Rachele
Cook
Pedlar
McAsey
Murray

I don't think Jones, McHenry, Berry, Hamill, Hately have the ceiling to be A Graders - but could be handy role players.
Handy role players?
Mackay was a handy role player. I'll be very disappointed if McHenry, Jones and Berry in particular aren't next level at least.

I feel some are underrating Berry quite a fair bit.

I think his ceiling is huge.

What he was able to achieve last year, coming into the AFL system off no football for 12 months (or more) and to perform the way he did was exceptional.

I really think he could be an A Grade mid and can't wait to see what he can produce this season. Seriously, go back and watch some of his inside work, tackling, clean hands etc. He needs to spend more time in the midfield this year, similar to Schoey did last year.

Then, there's Pedlar. I think our future midfield is looking ok.

I feel some are underrating Berry quite a fair bit.

I think his ceiling is huge.

What he was able to achieve last year, coming into the AFL system off no football for 12 months (or more) and to perform the way he did was exceptional.

I really think he could be an A Grade mid and can't wait to see what he can produce this season. Seriously, go back and watch some of his inside work, tackling, clean hands etc. He needs to spend more time in the midfield this year, similar to Schoey did last year.

Then, there's Pedlar. I think our future midfield is looking ok.
He needs to learn to get his hands on the pill a bit more - but hopefully that will come with time & experience.

He needs to learn to get his hands on the pill a bit more - but hopefully that will come with time & experience.
I think there's a bit of Lyons about him - strong body, good overhead, not overly quick, but clean hands. As you said, he needs to find it a bit more when he is playing mids, but that's where I see his "ceiling" being.

I think there's a bit of Lyons about him - strong body, good overhead, not overly quick, but clean hands. As you said, he needs to find it a bit more when he is playing mids, but that's where I see his "ceiling" being.

If we can get Brisbane version of Lyons then we have done extraordinarily well out of that pick.

I know right, when you think of that world beating Cats team you don't think of Chapman right away, but in nearly every big game that guy was in the best players. Snagged himself a cheeky Norm if my memory serves me.

I bloody loved Paul Chapman as a player (except against us, obviously). He and Steve Johnson were my favourite players from that dominant Geelong era.

He spent a hell of a lot of last year sitting around in a forward pocket. I'm not sure if that's an intentional plan to play him as a forward or if he didn't yet have the fitness to play midfield or if we were just too damn rusted on to the Sloane / Laird / Keays centre square combination. But whatever the reason, I'm confident he'll get a lot more of the ball if/when we start playing him nearer to the ball.

Drafted as an inside midfielder with exceptional endurance, played half forward/forward pocket, maybe, just maybe when he plays midfield that will take care of itself.

Chayce Jones will be more then a handy role player, he will reach AA status somewhere in his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back