Opinion Brian Cook - Carlton's rebuild still has a fair way to go

Which club is more likely to win another flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Most of the best coaches/managers in world sport have worked at multiple clubs.

Jose Mourinho has done 10+ at multiple levels for example. Was sacked from many of those gigs.

Voss will be better for his time at Brisbane. Who knows past that.
European football is a totally different beast though.

You wont see an afl coach at 3 different afl clubs at 4-5 years in each of them.

You are more likely to be an afl assistant at 3-4 clubs.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
European football is a totally different beast though.

You wont see an afl coach at 3 different afl clubs at 4-5 years in each of them.

You are more likely to be an afl assistant at 3-4 clubs.

That's the point. It is successful all over the world but largely untried here. You also see it plenty in the NFL, NBA.

There is no reason to believe Voss is a similar or lesser coach than he was at Brisbane. Whether he has improved enough to take us towards success remains to be seen.

I think Carlton will spank Essendon in '22 - again. Oh and a spank is a win - made better by just a kick in it or an after the siren goal and maybe with all sorts of bad luck going Essendon's way in key moments of the game where some ump gets it badly wrong a few times - add a few technical 50 meter free kick walks for multiple goals - would cap off a perfect little spanking.

If Essendon manage by some fluke to get a win - I will have 50 thousand reasons why it was a flukey win unlikely to ever be repeated in my lifetime or anyone else's.

After the win I will then use that as hard evidence as to why Essendon are doomed to continue being fails - forever and point the game as proof - taking special delight in any Essendon poster who tries to point out any unfairness in umpiring or any against the run of play outcomes that went Carlton's way or any injuries that stopped this or that persons from playing etc etc etc ...underlined by some old google search gif or unrelated stats like how many days since Essendon have won a final to add to the fun - just to infuriate any unfortunate that is easy game - all done with a proper respecful posting style so any button masher on the Main Board has no case.

I think Carlton will spank Essendon in '22 - again. Oh and a spank is a win - made better by just a kick in it or an after the siren goal and maybe with all sorts of bad luck going Essendon's way in key moments of the game where some ump gets it badly wrong a few times - add a few technical 50 meter free kick walks for multiple goals - would cap off a perfect little spanking.

If Essendon manage by some fluke to get a win - I will have 50 thousand reasons why it was a flukey win unlikely to ever be repeated in my lifetime or anyone else's.

After the win I will then use that as hard evidence as to why Essendon are doomed to continue being fails - forever and point the game as proof - taking special delight in any Essendon poster who tries to point out any unfairness in umpiring or any against the run of play outcomes that went Carlton's way or any injuries that stopped this or that persons from playing etc etc etc ...underlined by some old google search gif or unrelated stats like how many days since Essendon have won a final to add to the fun - just to infuriate any unfortunate that is easy game - all done with a proper respecful posting style so any button masher on the Main Board has no case.
Have a snickers mate

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Despite being a confirmed basket case and handicapped by a coach with the tactical acuity of a house plant Carlton have rattled the Bombers in recent times.

I'm sure the Bombers will come out bravely and give a good account of themselves in quarter 1 but if past holds true it could be another bleak evening coming up for Essendon supporters.

Harry Jones is still only 20 and played 16 games. It was a good start last year but he cant be compared to Curnow. A better comparison as strange as it is would be Peter Wright

Peter Wright Charlie Curnow
87 Games 62 games
1.31 goals 1.27 goals
4.83 marks 5.24 marks
1.4 contested 1.56 contested

Have to admit that was a very astute pick up.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Harry Jones is still only 20 and played 16 games. It was a good start last year but he cant be compared to Curnow. A better comparison as strange as it is would be Peter Wright

87 Games 62 games
1.31 goals 1.27 goals
4.83 marks 5.24 marks

AVERAGES OVER FIRST 17 GAMES​

CHARLIE CURNOW v BRENNAN COX

Team win-loss records:
5-12 – 5-12

Goals: 0.64 – 0.76

Goal Assists: 0.71 – 0.59

Scoring Shots: 1.06 – 1.82

Disposals: 11.35 – 11.88

Contested Possessions: 4.77 – 4.88

Marks: 4.06 – 5.12

Contested Marks: 1.06 – 1.76

Marks Inside 50m: 0.65 – 1.32

One-percenters: 1.06 – 1.94

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

87 Games 62 games
1.31 goals 1.27 goals
4.83 marks 5.24 marks
I just see more upside in Jones. That's all.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
At his size, Wright should be dominating as a forward/backup ruck, even though he doesn't want to ruck. I rate Cox, to play both ends, but more as a KPD than a KPF
Peter is just our version of Levi Casboult. No arguments he may not be as good as the man with the grip hands but a place holder till a time comes he can be upgraded.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Peter is just our version of Levi Casboult. No arguments he may not be as good as the man with the grip hands but a place holder till a time comes he can be upgraded.
As much as Casboult and Wright are flawed players they still play a huge role in a team. Ben Brown has been well below his best lately and would be comparable to the two but his value to the Dees was immense in the finals. Just providing a marking threat and bringing the ball to ground is all 2MP or others alike need to do for a team if the rest of the list is humming

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

A reasonable pick up for a 4th rounder, but if Levi could kick like Wright, he would have been an A grader

Still time for Wright to improve further, but for most of his career he has been a bit precious not wanting to do his fair share of stints as a ruck relief

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A reasonable pick up for a 4th rounder, but if Levi could kick like Wright, he would have been an A grader

Still time for Wright to improve further, but for most of his career he has been a bit precious not wanting to do his fair share of stints as a ruck relief

A recruiting friend of mine said that had Levi been settled in defence in his career, he could have been an AA standard key defender but alas, he filled the void Carlton needed and that is ok too.

Peter was averaging more hit outs than Levi across there respective careers, not bad for a bloke who hardly rucks. That's ok though. I don't think many Essendon supporter was expecting much more than a 1 - 1.5 goal a game for a fourth rounder anyways. His 1.4 goals a game for 2021 was about on par for most second rucks / key forwards.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
A recruiting friend of mine said that had Levi been settled in defence in his career, he could have been an AA standard key defender but alas, he filled the void Carlton needed and that is ok too.

Peter was averaging more hit outs than Levi across there respective careers, not bad for a bloke who hardly rucks. That's ok though. I don't think many Essendon supporter was expecting much more than a 1 - 1.5 goal a game for a fourth rounder anyways. His 1.4 goals a game for 2021 was about on par for most second rucks / key forwards.

Again you think people are trolling your players and can't handle a realistic opinion/assessment, so you start with the flawed, unrealistic comparisons

Let me enlighten you, Wright was a top 10 pick who hasn't delivered on that value over the course of his career (picking him up now as a 4th rounder is because he hasn't delivered), Levi a rookie pick

You really need to stop being so sensitive

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Again you think people are trolling your players and can't handle a realistic opinion/assessment, so you start with the flawed, unrealistic comparisons

Let me enlighten you, Wright was a top 10 pick who hasn't delivered on that value over the course of his career (picking him up now as a 4th rounder is because he hasn't delivered), Levi a rookie pick

You really need to stop being so sensitive

The trash this thread has dished up, it's easy to get confused with what is a reasonable response and what is trolling.

The dig was "but for most of his career he has been a bit precious not wanting to do his fair share of stints as a ruck relief" which sounds like a dig albeit brief slap to me. Which was justifiably turned down with facts that he isn't bad for a second ruck / key forward.

Peter Wright wasn't drafted by us with a top 10 pick, as a Carlton supporter you should be able to appreciate a top 10 pick for a bargain. He has been ok when he has played. more than a goal a game when played the majority of the season.

As I mentioned earlier, many Essendon supporters don't expect the world from him, to fill a role is all I ask and he did that regularly for our structures in 2021. If he can improve his career tally (1.3 goals a game) to 1.5 goals a game (33 goals based on possibility of playing 22 games) then that is a win for us.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The trash this thread has dished up, it's easy to get confused with what is a reasonable response and what is trolling.

The dig was "but for most of his career he has been a bit precious not wanting to do his fair share of stints as a ruck relief" which sounds like a dig albeit brief slap to me. Which was justifiably turned down with facts that he isn't bad for a second ruck / key forward.

Peter Wright wasn't drafted by us with a top 10 pick, as a Carlton supporter you should be able to appreciate a top 10 pick for a bargain. He has been ok when he has played. more than a goal a game when played the majority of the season.

As I mentioned earlier, many Essendon supporters don't expect the world from him, to fill a role is all I ask and he did that regularly for our structures in 2021. If he can improve his career tally (1.3 goals a game) to 1.5 goals a game (33 goals based on possibility of playing 22 games) then that is a win for us.

But to justify his worth in the ruck you compared him to a rookie selection in Levi, bizarre

This was my first line to your reply, "A reasonable pick up for a 4th rounder"

Yet anything that isn't glowing or highlights a flaw, you take it as trolling

Relax a little

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
But to justify his worth in the ruck you compared him to a rookie selection in Levi, bizarre

This was my first line to your reply, "A reasonable pick up for a 4th rounder"

Yet anything that isn't glowing or highlights a flaw, you take it as trolling

Relax a little
Once a player has entered the system, why should a player be held to there draft pick? Especially after several years in the system.. weird

As a player who has been in the system for several years, and as a player who performs a similar role, it should be a reasonable discussion point imho

Back