Star Wars The Book of Boba Fett

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, mainly it done what many shows do that feature an obviously stronger person fighting a weaker one. The fight features very few 'strikes', and mostly consists of throwing and pushing. The attacker has many opportunities where they can just choke and strangle their target, or punch them in the face, but they throw them around aimlessly instead. It's a way around braking logic I reckon. I recall the same thing happening often in Luke Cage for example. He rarely punches or whatever, probably because he'd kill someone, but what it does it gives the other people heaps of chances to get space between them, counter attack, and get the upper hand or escape, and it doesn't make sense to me watching it. A guy that loves breaking down fights in media, watching combat sport, and choreographing my own shitty little fight scenes to film with mates, it's something I notice and think about and feel about more than others. Probably.

It's a bit cheap IMO.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Appreciate that

I can't quite put my finger on why but really not loving this as much as I thought I would.

Loved Mando but just struggling to get into this one.
Mandalorian moved planet to planet fairly regularly.

So far we are on a planet we already knew. It feels like a sequel using the previous show's sets and we want more.

So far we are on a planet we already knew. It feels like a sequel using the previous show's sets and we want more.

Does it? We didn't get Jabba's palace or Mos Espa in Mandalorian, they're both new areas with new characters being explored.

Does it? We didn't get Jabba's palace or Mos Espa in Mandalorian, they're both new areas with new characters being explored.

We've seen a lot of this in Return of the Jedi. We've even got a Rancor again.

I'm enjoying it, but the narrative needs to bring us something new. Which I got from the sand people but that looks to be done. Even the Pykes are explored in Clone Wars, as are the Hutts.

Fett has been much safer so far, but Mandolorian has had two seasons of content.

I’m only speculating here, however I wonder how much of this is perhaps due to Covid productions. Perhaps they have been limited to only a few sets/stages. Which are predominantly Tatooine stages. Unable to travel around as freely with cast and crew to film in different locations etc. I’m guessing that has caused some of the limitations thus far.

Let's face it, Grogu/Baby Yoda was a huge pull for The Mandalorian from the get go. If it was just Mando running around being a bounty hunter it wouldn't be any better than BoBF has been. And season 2 was hugely successful on the back of cameos from Ahsoka, Boba Fett, Bo-Katan and of course Luke. It's probably not really fair to compare it to this only 3 episodes in.

I’m only speculating here, however I wonder how much of this is perhaps due to Covid productions. Perhaps they have been limited to only a few sets/stages. Which are predominantly Tatooine stages. Unable to travel around as freely with cast and crew to film in different locations etc. I’m guessing that has caused some of the limitations thus far.

I'd be surprised if that's the case.

Large scale productions like this have no drama getting exempt on essential work grounds.

Expecting Quentin Tarantino to pop up at some point during the course of the season, given his close connections with Robert Rodriguez, especially after Danny Trejo popped up in the last episode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we know if this is being filmed on location? As far as I know, the majority of the Mandolorian was filmed on a sort of live green screen set up, the exception to that was the Boba Fett focused episode that Rodriguez directed, which was on location. Has Rodriguez followed that up by using location shooting as the norm in this, is it green screen again, or are we a bit more 50 / 50?

In regards to not being grabbed by the series yet, I feel similar, and I can't help but feel it's because The Mandolorian series is pretty much what I thought a Boba Fett series would be before either existed. But now that Mando exists, Boba is having to fill a different niche, and I'm yet to work out if I like that niche.

At the risk of bringing something up that will derail the thread, it almost feels TLJ-like at the moment where the story is very different to what people had made up in their heads, so people are finding it hard to connect with what is going on. TLJ was a movie though, so by the time you left you had the whole story and could definitively say "this is different to what I expected and it was a bad story because of it" or "this is different to what I expected but it was a better story because of not sticking to that those expectations". Whereas BOBF is an ongoing series so we can't make those calls yet, so our opinions are kind of in a holding pattern. That's my theory anyway.

I'm definitely still keen to watch every episode though, it's not like I've completely switched off. So it's definitely got something.

Do we know if this is being filmed on location? As far as I know, the majority of the Mandolorian was filmed on a sort of live green screen set up, the exception to that was the Boba Fett focused episode that Rodriguez directed, which was on location. Has Rodriguez followed that up by using location shooting as the norm in this, is it green screen again, or are we a bit more 50 / 50?

In regards to not being grabbed by the series yet, I feel similar, and I can't help but feel it's because The Mandolorian series is pretty much what I thought a Boba Fett series would be before either existed. But now that Mando exists, Boba is having to fill a different niche, and I'm yet to work out if I like that niche.

At the risk of bringing something up that will derail the thread, it almost feels TLJ-like at the moment where the story is very different to what people had made up in their heads, so people are finding it hard to connect with what is going on. TLJ was a movie though, so by the time you left you had the whole story and could definitively say "this is different to what I expected and it was a bad story because of it" or "this is different to what I expected but it was a better story because of not sticking to that those expectations". Whereas BOBF is an ongoing series so we can't make those calls yet, so our opinions are kind of in a holding pattern. That's my theory anyway.

I'm definitely still keen to watch every episode though, it's not like I've completely switched off. So it's definitely got something.
Given some of the special effects have been obvious, I'm pretty sure most of this would have been filmed in The Volume, it's giant stage screen.

Great question that I can only guess an answer for. I recall an interview with Temeura Morrisson early-ish last year where he spoke about production of this during a pandemic, and all of the protocols happening. Rapid tests upon arrival, then waiting in separate zones/sections of the set until permitted to move around for scenes etc. It seemed to heavily hint to me that the entire production was happening in one giant studio/set in LA. The Disney era of Star Wars seems to be a hybrid of green screens and practical effects/sets, so I imagine it would be similar.

And even though its only 3 episodes in, the entire series (so far) seems to be taking place on Tatooine. Plenty of time for that to change though. Whether that was always the plan for the series or if its been an adjustment due to Covid etc, who knows really.

There have been a few things that have annoyed me/put me off:
For a tribe that live on the sands, the Tuscan raiders have been underwhelming.

They don't know how to hide behind a dune from a heavily armoured train (with people on board who are remarkably good shots travelling at high speed but not when plot armour requires it). Having half a tribe wiped out whenever a train passes would be a good incentive to learn to hide better.

They don't protect their Bantha from being shot. You think they would be worth a lot to the tribe, being their transport and pack animal for moving camp.

They allow a group of bikers to ambush them on their own territory. Especially after Boba beat them up so easily in the bar, a group of raiders trained to fight with their stick things on their own turf should have made mincemeat of them.

For a group who know every grain of sand in the desert they are pretty clueless.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

There have been a few things that have annoyed me/put me off:
For a tribe that live on the sands, the Tuscan raiders have been underwhelming.

They don't know how to hide behind a dune from a heavily armoured train (with people on board who are remarkably good shots travelling at high speed but not when plot armour requires it). Having half a tribe wiped out whenever a train passes would be a good incentive to learn to hide better.

They don't protect their Bantha from being shot. You think they would be worth a lot to the tribe, being their transport and pack animal for moving camp.

They allow a group of bikers to ambush them on their own territory. Especially after Boba beat them up so easily in the bar, a group of raiders trained to fight with their stick things on their own turf should have made mincemeat of them.

For a group who know every grain of sand in the desert they are pretty clueless.

The Bantha death toll in that train episode annoyed me, yes. Poor guys.

As for the ambush, it happened off screen so difficult to know what actually happened (yet). Don't know if it was in fact a "group of bikers" or not, there could've been dozens of them heavily armed etc. Difficult to assess that one without knowing the full facts.

Also...
How the hell does a 7 foot tall Wookie walk unnoticed into a fortress to assault its owner? Security is pretty piss poor.

And why did the Wookie pick him up and throw him around when it could have easily broken Boba Fetts neck and walked back out again before he was discovered?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back