2022 preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, and not convinced at all you can afford to have part time players. His best isn't so good now to justify it.

Finding it hard to believe this is a serious assessment of Joel's ability to contribute to the teams performance.

Finding it hard to believe this is a serious assessment of Joel's ability to contribute to the teams performance.

It's called reality. He turns 34 this season, is clearly slowing down, and against the competition benchmark looked second rate. And he'll be another six months older by the time the season starts.

But that's ok, let's pretend it's still 2013. If we say it enough times it'll come true.

It's called reality. He turns 34 this season, is clearly slowing down, and against the competition benchmark looked second rate. And he'll be another six months older by the time the season starts.

But that's ok, let's pretend it's still 2013. If we say it enough times it'll come true.
Against Petracca/Oliver everyone looks pedestrian. I think the issue is that he's been below his peak for a few years but is still easily one of our best out there.

He's still not getting pushed out by any kids I can see.

Against Petracca/Oliver everyone looks pedestrian. I think the issue is that he's been below his peak for a few years but is still easily one of our best out there.

The biggest issue is he's been below his peak (understandabe he's old and has played absolutely brutal footy for years) AND he's still one of our best out there

At the same time, it's not like they've invested heavily in youth to develop in the last few years either in that spot.
I'm sure they would of they somehow got a pick that was going to net them an elite mid. I predict we'll have the next big thing running out rd1 2024.

The other issue from Partridge's post though is whether we can afford to play someone knowing that they can only realistically play 15 games at most. My own view is that we really need to put an end to the era of "managing" senior players (no matter how decorated). Hoping Joel has it in him to get back to somewhere near his best in 2022. Many champions from many sports have been written off only to prove everyone wrong as they find another way to win.

The other issue from Partridge's post though is whether we can afford to play someone knowing that they can only realistically play 15 games at most. My own view is that we really need to put an end to the era of "managing" senior players (no matter how decorated). Hoping Joel has it in him to get back to somewhere near his best in 2022. Many champions from many sports have been written off only to prove everyone wrong as they find another way to win.

That's exactly it. The game is just too tough, too demanding, and too relentless to have part time players. We've already got the oldest list around and will have the oldest team. That's two handicaps to begin with.

The problem is at some point you absolutely can with 100% certainty write off a champion, because everyone gets old. Better players than Selwood too. Pretending that he's suddenly going to go backwards in time is insane even for this board.

I'm not sure if Selwood will put up his hand and say my time is up. I think given his standing and what he has meant to Geelong, we may see a similar scenario to what transpired with Shaun Burgoyne where he was managed along for the last 15-20 games of his career. I sure hope I am wrong and Joel puts his hand up but it seems to me like the club will let him decide.
Probably retires when Scott's contract comes to an end in 2024 (or 2034).

8th in the B & F is still decent
Expecting him to be near his best in 2022 is fanciful imho
Not expecting him to be managed in 2022 is naive, also imho.

Last edited:
With covid i cant see a lot of players at each club playing 22 games there will be constant outs under the iso rules and clubs will need to dip into their depth so the debate about whether joel can or should miss games is probably irrelevant anyway we are going to have to have a squad rotation mentality where guys can come in and out and fill gaps.

With covid i cant see a lot of players at each club playing 22 games there will be constant outs under the iso rules and clubs will need to dip into their depth so the debate about whether joel can or should miss games is probably irrelevant anyway we are going to have to have a squad rotation mentality where guys can come in and out and fill gaps.
That’s probably a realistic thought. It will have an impact for sure. Might be a good chance for youngsters to get games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’ll be a good chance for younger players like C.stephens, s.neale, n.stevens, the draftees...anyone else? I’m actually looking forward to it. Might actually open the eyes of Chris Scott and realise it’s not a jail worthy act to the play the youngsters.

with the caveat that there are no sacred cows either

Yeah but if he is falling off a cliff then it should be easy to push him out. I don't see the kid we've had in the list that could do that. Even if we chucked our best draft chips at it I don't think we'd have that kid on the list yet

8th in the B & F is still decent
Expecting him to be near his best in 2022 is fanciful imho
Not expecting him to be managed in 2022 is naive, als imho.
Then I'll own my fancifulness and naivete. Look, an example from a different sport - but everyone wrote Roger Federer off when he hadn't won a major between the ages of about 30 to 35. You'd forgive anyone just saying - look, he's been a champion, but reality is he's just past it and there's no chance he's going to come close to his best again. Then took some time to refresh his mind and body and came back and won 3 more at the age of 36-37. Just never write off a champion.
On the other hand though, no player can go into a season prepared to play only like 3/4 of the games, acknowledging their body won't hold up. I know almost everyone misses games which they often call being "managed" but which actually means they have an injury that doesn't require immediate surgery or whatever. But you have to be in some kind of physical shape to back up from one game to the next. Call me naive, but I just don't think we should have players in the team that can't play 22 games barring significant injury (whether at AFL or VFL level). And any player who misses games, needs to earn their spot back either at training or vfl - not walk back in once we've given one our lower-tier "seat-warmers" a go at the big time. We say "but they're not really banging down the door". The fact is the door is a revolving one, and it doesn't seem to matter how well a player is going at the lower level - just whether or not one of our aging stars needs a rest.

I dont question Joels ability to perform to a sustainable level, I just think youd be better off getting games into a kid in that role, its not going to do our future any good having Stephens and Holmes play forward/wing while a 34 year old plays the position they need exposure in.

Then I'll own my fancifulness and naivete. Look, an example from a different sport - but everyone wrote Roger Federer off when he hadn't won a major between the ages of about 30 to 35. You'd forgive anyone just saying - look, he's been a champion, but reality is he's just past it and there's no chance he's going to come close to his best again. Then took some time to refresh his mind and body and came back and won 3 more at the age of 36-37. Just never write off a champion.
On the other hand though, no player can go into a season prepared to play only like 3/4 of the games, acknowledging their body won't hold up. I know almost everyone misses games which they often call being "managed" but which actually means they have an injury that doesn't require immediate surgery or whatever. But you have to be in some kind of physical shape to back up from one game to the next. Call me naive, but I just don't think we should have players in the team that can't play 22 games barring significant injury (whether at AFL or VFL level). And any player who misses games, needs to earn their spot back either at training or vfl - not walk back in once we've given one our lower-tier "seat-warmers" a go at the big time. We say "but they're not really banging down the door". The fact is the door is a revolving one, and it doesn't seem to matter how well a player is going at the lower level - just whether or not one of our aging stars needs a rest.
Good points.
But in the case of Federer, who really is a hero of mine, he certainly managed himself in those years, and virtually just played the Slams, or tournaments that would benefit his chances. Why not have a player of Selwood's class and experience, in his twilight, be managed appropriately. Interstate travel is very taxing, and a great chance to blood youngsters.

I agree with the sentiment that COVID this year will 1. Not be selective, so it will be ANY player who could be out from round to round (really driving some chances that would not normally be given, especially at our club), 2. The total players out in any one week could be anywhere from none up to a third of the side.
So, I think there are 2 exciting changes coming for us to see what we have as a full list - The pace of the game and changes to the rules, as mentioned by Atkins the other day, mean we are planning to play MUCH FASTER, and secondly, probably nearly the full list will get an opportunity, depending on fate.
I think both those things are great, and we may be surprised how valuable experience is, even when the game is played fast. Bring it on.

I don't think we have managed players we just kept playing the old guys and they would run out of petrol, because none of the kids were breaking the door down for a game...so stuffed if you do and stuffed if you don't

Interesting comments from josh jenkins in the addy.

“Once sdk hits about 40 games you won’t even remember who harry taylor and lachie henderson were. Kid is going to be a star”.

Interesting comments from josh jenkins in the addy.

“Once sdk hits about 40 games you won’t even remember who harry taylor and lachie henderson were. Kid is going to be a star”.

I'm very bullish on SDK as well but saying we won't remember Taylor and Henderson seems an unnecessary comment , and very un Geelong to me. :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back